Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have had a GT-R for the past day and half and prior I have always wondered does the performance match the hype and is it a bit of a car without a soul.

From my layman point of view it is a car of some perplexity which does your head in if you are after the one of ultimate road performance super cars.

In terms of its speed performance and acceleration it is blistering..I cannot believe how quick and instant this thing goes.You can really feel your stomach being pushed in and when coming out of a slow mountain corner and slipping back to second/third and flooring it..the power comes on so strong and smooth with the G force of a rocket

I cannot understate how quick this car accelerates from what ever speed your are doing..its just bang and you there.

I drove a lambo S/L last week and this thing would have no trouble getting away on twisty roads and straights.

If you are in your R8 and come across one of these..don't try.

The gearbox from standstill is clanky and grindy but once moving it is a delight to use with very swift shifts and very positive changes.

The handling made me feel like a super driver..it is so easy to push hard and if you make a bit of a mistake it can pick itself up and fix it for you...within reason of course.

The steering(or electronics) makes the car feel lighter and more agile than I guess it should be..but it has a nice sharpness and progressive feel.The feedback was strong and you could always tell exactly where your wheels were on the road.I would even(hate to say this)state that I thought it was nicer than my R8 as a handling package.

One down side thou is that the front wheels are very susceptible to tram lining and constant correction is needed to keep going straight.

Tyre noise is very loud on coarse surfaces.

Brakes after a 20 kmh mountain blast stood up fine with no fade showing at all.

I really need to say that this would be the fastest car I have ever driven but yet the easiest to drive fast or very fast.

On appearances the car does not float my boat at all from the outside and the interior whilst nice is no where in the same league of a R8.

The million dollar question thou is..would I buy one.

The answer is a definite NO and there are a few reasons for that.After driving for a full day today we stopped for some dinner and I was not that excited or looking forward to driving home.That's not because I don,t enjoy the power and handling and all those other great things but the car to me just has no Passion or Soul or a exotic sexy feel about it.

I am returning the Nissan in I and a bit days time but over Dinner I said to my wife..you know what, I feel to take the R8 tomorrow for the days drive instead of the Nissan..and she nodded.To me that summed up this car.ABSOLUTE Awesome performance machine but it lacks that intangible something which makes some cars special and makes you want to drive every chance you get.

Full credit to Nissan thou for such a bargain price for sooooo much car.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Excellent review, thank you.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One further add to my initial thoughts..I did take the GT-R for another drive today and found a bit of "private"winding mountain road where i could really push hard.

The rear bias handling is so rewarding with beautiful controlled rear slides with acceleration grip that was awesome..a magic drive!!!

Also the fuel this thing GULPS thru makes the Audi R8 look like a eco car.320km on 1 tank.

Still can,t make myself buy one thou and still looking forward to taking out the R8 tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
On appearances the car does not float my boat at all from the outside and the interior whilst nice is no where in the same league of a R8.
I feel exactly the same way. If you bought a car just based on performance specs/price/value - the GT-R would have to be it. The looks have no sex appeal where the R8 oozes with it. That is why I ordered the R8.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Killer write up!

I've seen three GTR's on the road and am not taken by the looks at all. Looks like a 350Z that's been put on steroids.

I had a chance to look in one of them and, yes, they are nice inside, but there are too many gadgets and gizmos to deal with - one of the things I despised about that P.O.S. Cayenne Turbo I had (second most disliked vehicle I've ever owned).

I would like to get the chance to drive a GTR - as you say, they apparently are wicked road going machines. Still, give me my R8. It's the most fun, most satisfying road going vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I imagine the R8 feels STUDLIER than the Toy GTR. When My R8 was delivered to my door a silver GTR had to be moved around a bit to get my car out of transporter. Passersby didn't even notice the GTR. Its the 18-20 year-old crew that always bring up the GTR in conversation. It must be one Bad-Ass car for the amount of talk that goes on. :) So my R8 was roommates with a GTR for a few travelling days (from Florida to Cali.) See my gallery pics for a shot of the GTR being lifted to second level on one very tough transporter.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Passersby didn't even notice the GTR.
Probably because it's almost a dead ringer for the Z, which is looking quite dated now. The R8 design is still fresh after 4 model years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice review.I drove one yesterday and found it much as you say.I found the whole thing a bit sterile though.The lack of exhaust noise was madenning,the engine/gerabox combo is sublime ,it just goes very very fast whatever.Handling wise ,I prefer the feel of the r8,it is more communicative.
I think if you want to get from a to b as fast as possible the nissan is incredible,if you want to get from a to b with as much fun as possible stick with the r8.The r8 just makes you feel good looking at it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice review.I drove one yesterday and found it much as you say.I found the whole thing a bit sterile though.The lack of exhaust noise was madenning,the engine/gerabox combo is sublime ,it just goes very very fast whatever.Handling wise ,I prefer the feel of the r8,it is more communicative.
I think if you want to get from a to b as fast as possible the nissan is incredible,if you want to get from a to b with as much fun as possible stick with the r8.The r8 just makes you feel good looking at it.
That's the intangible word I was looking for "sterile"which explains my lack of desire to own one.

Couldn't agree more about the exhaust note and the lack of aura and emotion

Re handling..I just found this car lifted my sufficient driving skills into something on a higher level.Don't know why except it gave me a lot of confidence and speed through corners that I probably wouldn't dare with my R8.

It could be the potential write off value that plays on your mind?:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts