Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it has been mentioned already but I heard today from my dealer's R8 technician that Audi have canned the diesel R8, apparently due to issues with providing sufficient cooling. He said that dealers had been quietly informed.

Can anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
274 Posts
my guess is that this is a rumor... the diesel has been a tremendous boost to audi racing

·
Registered
313 Posts
my guess is that this is a rumor... the diesel has been a tremendous boost to audi racing
that would really be a pity, V12 TDI, like the new Q7.
around 650 HP and 1000nm torque ( limited ) what an engine. I still hope that they will build the car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not sure if it has been mentioned already but I heard today from my dealer's R8 technician that Audi have canned the diesel R8, apparently due to issues with providing sufficient cooling. He said that dealers had been quietly informed.

Can anyone else confirm?
I've seen the diesel testmule last month at Neckarsulm!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't a rumour. This was from an R8 Technician who I was speaking to yesterday, and he said that this week Audi UK confirmed they would not be releasing a production version of the Tdi. Apparently there is a real art to cooling the existing V8 engine, and space is needed around the engine to channel the appropriate cooling. The size of the V12 Tdi apparently prohibits this from being achieved, without re-engineering the chassis and widening the car.

I suspect it is true, but it would be useful for someone else to confirm via another source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts