Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well I got a chance to test it on the highway. All speeds great I tested up to about 115 MPH. No buffeting. It works great where I installed it on the triangle.
That's great! Thanks for confirming it retains its effectiveness at that location too. It just amazes me how effectively that little detail addresses the wind buffeting. I think I'll move mine to the triangle too!. As an added bonus, I ceramic coated mine too!

·
Registered
465 Posts
From the pics, it looks great. A little ingenuity goes a long way. Maybe people would feel better about it if Audi installs it for $1500. :p

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
Cool trick, but all you need to do is just roll the window up a couple inches. Not a big deal. Better then taping a hacked up windshield wiper off the side of your $200K car.
Uh, nope...
Especially in the Gen 2.
The buffeting above 60 is bad, above 90 it's horrible and above 110 it's absolutely wicked. The Gen 1 didn't suffer from this nearly as badly.
If you track a Gen 2 at all, this is a stellar trick.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's great! Thanks for confirming it retains its effectiveness at that location too. It just amazes me how effectively that little detail addresses the wind buffeting. I think I'll move mine to the triangle too!. As an added bonus, I ceramic coated mine too!
Nice!

Even for normal wind dynamics it's not a wind tunnel in the car. The wind buffeting was one thing. The amount of air slamming you in the face was intense at highway speeds with the windows down. Now it's more a gentle breeze through the car.

From the pics, it looks great. A little ingenuity goes a long way. Maybe people would feel better about it if Audi installs it for $1500. :p
LOL

If someone made a quality product like what I installed for a "reasonable" price I'll go for it. Just because the car is an expensive car doesn't mean every little thing has to be through the roof in costs.

Uh, nope...
Especially in the Gen 2.
The buffeting above 60 is bad, above 90 it's horrible and above 110 it's absolutely wicked. The Gen 1 didn't suffer from this nearly as badly.
If you track a Gen 2 at all, this is a stellar trick.
What wind buffeting? 60 it's gentle. 90 it's nice. 110 it's a little windy but nothing unbearable. Install my piece and report back. :D

The wind buffeting was the one thing I HATED about this car. I was downright disappointed after purchasing since I pretty much drive 24/7 with windows down. Now that this is fixed I'm in heaven.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wiper blade arrived today. Many thanks to MAR8 and Nosferatu for the idea and pics.

The equivalent blade in the UK is called a Tricoflex FX700 (700mm/28")

I like to drive with the windows down from time to time just to hear the noise. The wind buffeting is noticable and annoying. Great fix! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
One more opportunity to solve the buffeting/ Blackmill performance - put on my r8- works great
Isn't that installed backwards?

EDITED: Oh, I see it now. It was like an optical illusion at first. It appeared that this was on with winglet pointing in, not out. My bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
The auto parts store didn’t have long wipers so mine ended up being a tad on the short side.
Not tested yet, will report back as soon as I do.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Yes please let us know if that still reduces the buffeting sufficiently. We know a few inches here and there can make all the difference, right guys? :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
First, thanks to MAR8 and Nosferatu for sharing this info. I too have been annoyed by the wind buffeting and until I saw this idea, I had no idea there was such an easy fix! Although I think the wiper blade looks fine, I would like a more elegant solution. The Blackmill performance part looks OK, but does not fit the triangle quite right. I really like the AWE Tuning Foiler made for Porsches.

Audi R8 foiler 3.jpg

Also I wondered if the location of the wind foil on the triangle made a difference. So I made a wind foil like the Blackmill part out of aluminum. I tried different sizes, and tried the forward location like the wiper blade fix, as well as the rear location. The foil only needs to be about 1/2 inch and works about the same in either location.

audi r8 foiler mine 4.jpg

I know that German Rush makes a carbon fiber triangle cover. I figured it should be quite easy for them to make one with the wind foil at the back edge. It would fit our cars perfectly, fix the buffeting problem, and look great too! They are working on it now, and said they should have it finished soon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
First, thanks to MAR8 and Nosferatu for sharing this info. I too have been annoyed by the wind buffeting and until I saw this idea, I had no idea there was such an easy fix! Although I think the wiper blade looks fine, I would like a more elegant solution. The Blackmill performance part looks OK, but does not fit the triangle quite right. I really like the AWE Tuning Foiler made for Porsches.

View attachment 214922

Also I wondered if the location of the wind foil on the triangle made a difference. So I made a wind foil like the Blackmill part out of aluminum. I tried different sizes, and tried the forward location like the wiper blade fix, as well as the rear location. The foil only needs to be about 1/2 inch and works about the same in either location.

View attachment 214929

I know that German Rush makes a carbon fiber triangle cover. I figured it should be quite easy for them to make one with the wind foil at the back edge. It would fit our cars perfectly, fix the buffeting problem, and look great too! They are working on it now, and said they should have it finished soon.
That’s awesome news! Thanks for helping take this idea to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
As stated earlier, I got a short wiper and it's definitely way too short for any sort of nice asthetics:

But man does this little trick work! Even with this shorty the buffeting is gone up to 100 mph. I'll go out on a limb and say it works above that too.

I have some carbon fiber work in my future and I do believe that I'll be heading to Audi to get a couple of the corner pieces and then lay up some fabric over them, incorporating the little lip.

What a great mod!

·
Registered
533 Posts
As stated earlier, I got a short wiper and it's definitely way too short for any sort of nice asthetics:

But man does this little trick work! Even with this shorty the buffeting is gone up to 100 mph. I'll go out on a limb and say it works above that too.

I have some carbon fiber work in my future and I do believe that I'll be heading to Audi to get a couple of the corner pieces and then lay up some fabric over them, incorporating the little lip.

What a great mod!
Haha, I told you this works! I ran up to 160 and it kept working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a great DIY tip, i will surely try it out!

The buffeting is indeed an issue... I prefer running with just the driver window down to reduce dust buildup that gets into the cabin in all my previous cars, but buffeting on the Gen 2 makes that impossible if you want to keep your ears in a workable shape...

·
Registered
518 Posts
My wiper blade arrived today. Many thanks to MAR8 and Nosferatu for the idea and pics.

The equivalent blade in the UK is called a Tricoflex FX700 (700mm/28")

I like to drive with the windows down from time to time just to hear the noise. The wind buffeting is noticable and annoying. Great fix! :)
I bought that exact blade this week too:)

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I've reached out to AWE to see if they are interested to make a similar injection molded foiler for the R8 like they have for the Porsche. Let's see what they say.

If not, can someone good with 3D printing make the foiler like the AWE design to fit the R8? It'll sell like hotcakes here! ;)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I also spoke with them yesterday. Basically said not enough volume with the R8.

I've reached out to AWE to see if they are interested to make a similar injection molded foiler for the R8 like they have for the Porsche. Let's see what they say.

If not, can someone good with 3D printing make the foiler like the AWE design to fit the R8? It'll sell like hotcakes here! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any chance you can post a pic of your full car? I also have sepang blue and always looking for exterior mods if I see things I like. Thanks

21 - 40 of 159 Posts