Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Any chance you can post a pic of your full car? I also have sepang blue and always looking for exterior mods if I see things I like. Thanks
Here u go just took these....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
That’s too bad. So who’s up to 3D printing these?
I have the printer!
Resolution and surface smoothness is not R8 acceptable, though.
I’m presently working on reinstalling AutoCad (stupid Microsloth Windblows update killed my present version) so I’ll get cracking on it once things are running again.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Can the 3D printed parts be sanded down and painted gloss black to match the oem trim?

We'll do a group buy once you can produce enough of them. :cool:

Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can the 3D printed parts be sanded down and painted gloss black to match the oem trim?

We'll do a group buy once you can produce enough of them. :cool:

Thanks!
I should get the first one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
On my 2012 V10 the black triangle is matte, not gloss. However, the main question is how to attach the printed piece to the car....

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
The 3m VHB double sided tape will hold that small triangle piece securely. It has no problem holding the canards over 250kph so it should be fine for this relatively flat piece with a small hump.

However, the main question is how to attach the printed piece to the car....

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey so I took a closer look at my GT-R. It has ZERO buffeting issues but it appears Nissan integrated something like this into the same spot on the car. I'm assuming the R8 likely doesn't need as big of an air foil so if someone else wants to try something smaller or less pronounced here's what it looks like as OEM on another 2 door sports coupe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Seems a 2 inch stub is sufficient to eliminate the buffeting?

Kudos to Nissan for engineering that on the GTR. :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Interesting that they did a similar thing to eliminate it. I have all kinds of wipers and will try various sizes to hone in on the tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
I completed the modification and have tested mine up to er, umm , 130 mph and I must admit it makes a remarkable difference. At lower speeds its even better. Kudo's to the brain behind this gem of a mod!

·
Super Moderator
3,981 Posts
Seems a 2 inch stub is sufficient to eliminate the buffeting?

Kudos to Nissan for engineering that on the GTR. :cool:
Mine only go about half way up the black triangular piece and work very well.

There was a similar mod done way back in 1986 on the Corvette that worked just as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I completed the modification and have tested mine up to er, umm , 130 mph and I must admit it makes a remarkable difference. At lower speeds its even better. Kudo's to the brain behind this gem of a mod!
I brought the idea, and tested the effectiveness of it, to the R8 community but the idea originated (for me at least) with a Canadian tracking friend and the mk2 TTRS. It also suffers from high speed buffeting and this little trick took care of it. I was happy to see it worked on the R8 too because the buffeting is actually worse in the R8 at speed.

41 - 60 of 157 Posts