Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Anyone with 3D printing skills can make this overlay with a small lip like that on the GTR?

It shouldn't have to require removing the triangle piece. Just a simple stick on with double sided tape will do.

But here is quick and easy alternative stick ons that might work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Protect-Car-Door-Edge-Guard-Sticker-For-Toyota-Accessory-4pcs-Protector-Side/202498412669?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=b4a868012f234a0bbc84f399a6e4c0fc&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=8&sd=232957557685&itm=202498412669&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I've ordered a set so will revert how well they work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, I proposed this to German Rush about a month ago. I figured it should be easy for them to do as they already produce a flat carbon fiber triangle. They said they are working on it. But I suggested it look like the AWE Foiler with the wing on the trailing edge. Maybe it should be more like the GT-R solution with the wing part way up the leading edge. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anyone have the factory part number for the triangle piece? I might be able to have someone make it if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just did this mod. :)
I have to say I am very pleased with the result. Easy cheap mod that works and is easily reversible if needed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hmm this might be an opportunity to put my 3d printer to good use

Also, great review and mod! I did my second track day (three 20min sessions each) and my front pads have no material left to where I was doing 140mph at the end of the long straight and nearly went into the field. Oops. I pulled the wheel off and noticed that the wear sensor had melted off. Yikes! Time for some track pads!

·
Registered
263 Posts
hmm this might be an opportunity to put my 3d printer to good use

Also, great review and mod! I did my second track day (three 20min sessions each) and my front pads have no material left to where I was doing 140mph at the end of the long straight and nearly went into the field. Oops. I pulled the wheel off and noticed that the wear sensor had melted off. Yikes! Time for some track pads!
Question: does the Gen 2 have a sensor that tells you when the pads are low?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Question: does the Gen 2 have a sensor that tells you when the pads are low?
Yes. It is actually wired right into the pad itself on the front. It clips onto the backing plate in back. I melted mine off the front on the first track session and it never threw a code. I’m sure it’ll work fine on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any updates. Just finding this after a reference to it in a new post. I end up in daily driving just keeping my elbow in the window. On the track it is a bit brutal in my gen 1. I just traded in my 991.1 911C2S that I had the blackmill part on... same issue and to me worse than the R8 gen 1. No body ever noticed it. the AWE plastic piece looked too chunky to me. Should have just peeled them off my 911 to put on my RWS. May have a buddy 3D print this based on the shape of the wiper at the front edge of the triangular trim so a smaller piece.

·
Registered
127 Posts
German Rush said they might produce the part in carbon fiber which I thought would look great, but now appears they likely won’t do it. I ended up just doing the wiper mod at the leading edge of the triangle as described here on the forum. It looks very unobtrusive and works well. And the price is right too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm working on something. Just have to confirm this 3D print. Then it can be made in whatever material.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Great to see this being revived!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Coming along nicely. Please let us know when you have the final design and have some for sale. Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Any updates.
As for the manufactured part I'll leave that to others.

As for the DIY option, the original install still works perfect. I've done "mexico" highway pulls up to 150 MPH and the wiper method works. It hasn't moved. I use a foam cannon to wash the car and hit it directly. Hasn't budged. Just recently at one of our local cars & coffee I met a guy with an R8. We were chatting. He didn't even notice it was on there until I pointed it out.

Simply it works and looks like an OEM part. I just picked a few recent random photos I took of the car "out and about." If you stare at it yes you can see it. It certainly doesn't look out of place and blends right in with the factory lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
As for the manufactured part I'll leave that to others.

As for the DIY option, the original install still works perfect. I've done "mexico" highway pulls up to 150 MPH and the wiper method works. It hasn't moved. I use a foam cannon to wash the car and hit it directly. Hasn't budged. Just recently at one of our local cars & coffee I met a guy with an R8. We were chatting. He didn't even notice it was on there until I pointed it out.

Simply it works and looks like an OEM part. I just picked a few recent random photos I took of the car "out and about." If you stare at it yes you can see it. It certainly doesn't look out of place and blends right in with the factory lines.
I've had it on the TTRS for more than 6 years and nobody every notices it. Still held on with the original tape too!

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Need to get the other side printed out and do some real world testing.

I would love to purchase a few sets when you've completed the design. Please keep us updated, excellent endeavor and work!

61 - 80 of 159 Posts