Audi R8 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm working on something. Just have to confirm this 3D print. Then it can be made in whatever material.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Glad I asked! I am wondering if you can just make it the width similar to the wiper mod so really just the minimal needed and just attached at the front edge and close to the width of the 3M tape. In something finished gloss black it would be perfect. Personally I don't think it needs to be the full triangle. Then I would buy 2 sets, one for my gen 1 and 2. Nicely tapered design you have on the piece, I like what you have created just would like the min needed.

2924826485ed6248e58bd5c9d4288be8_LI.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Totally agree with this. Gloss black and same size as the wiper is all that is needed. If you go carbon fiber, then the whole triangle would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,002 Posts
I think would look best if incorporated into carbon triangle

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll probably try this one out first. I'm working with an overseas supplier so it would be a while to change it up. Spent a light amount of cash. Nothing crazy yet.

It is not completely flat. The design inspiration came from AWE's foiler combined with the knowledge that the DIY wiper mod works well along the lead edge.

At this time I'm just a guy with an R8 building something for his car.

If any supporting vendor wants to get in, let me know.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Any plans for Gen 1 cars?

I agree that a design similar to the windshield wiper mod would be preferred for its minimalism and function.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any plans for Gen 1 cars?

I agree that a design similar to the windshield wiper mod would be preferred for its minimalism and function.
I wouldn't say no necessarily.

About 50/50 at the moment.

Wanted some good dive planes / canards so I'm getting those made too. W00t.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wouldn't say no necessarily.

About 50/50 at the moment.

Wanted some good dive planes / canards so I'm getting those made too. W00t.

Keep thinking about it : ) Would be relatively simple mod to what you have. I am realizing I have the RWS with gloss black triangle and mirror so carbon fiber is not what I want. Not on my gen 1 GT either since my CF is matte finish on the mirrors. Did you drw this up in a CAD program and if so which one? I have a friend (an architect like myself) who has 3D printers in his office and has been making his own parts for trim on older cars he has been restoring/resto modding lightly on the side to update the look (headlight trim/mount parts/modifications to old defenders for instance) long story short would you share your file and I could see what he could do with it??

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Howie
I wrote earlier that I was inspired by this but also the knowledge that a bump on the lead edge works well.

Some people tried the Blackmill or whatever CNC piece which has a kick out on the trail edge and they told me they had mediocre results.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Thanks Chris.

I'll do a bit of testing with moving my rubber strip from the lead to the trail edge and see if there's any noticeable change.

Anyone else have tried the bump on the trail edge and gotten good results?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks Chris.

I'll do a bit of testing with moving my rubber strip from the lead to the trail edge and see if there's any noticeable change.

Anyone else have tried the bump on the trail edge and gotten good results?
I'd be curious as well. I personally did the taller part because if it didn't work I could just cut it down smaller. If I started with the trail edge I wouldn't have had enough product left to put it where it's at currently. I was too lazy to have to make two trips to store if I didn't have to! :)

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Nos, unfortunately, the rubber strip I have is too long to put on the trailing edge. If I find an alternative strip, I’ll update you guys.

I'd be curious as well. I personally did the taller part because if it didn't work I could just cut it down smaller. If I started with the trail edge I wouldn't have had enough product left to put it where it's at currently. I was too lazy to have to make two trips to store if I didn't have to! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Still waiting for the other 3D print for the other side to arrive.

At least my carbon fiber canards are making some progress.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Any updates on this? When can we purchase it? :eek:
Honestly, the windshield wiper still works fine. I've taken the car to my fair share of car shows. No one notices it until I point it out. I recommend just going that route until someone decides they want to actually "make" a part that's "sell-able."

·
Registered
129 Posts

I got the other side and was going to go down to COTA but the roads will most likely be pretty rough in my area.

Will test somewhere else in the next couple of months.

Matte black and gloss black would be easy to do. Might have to talk to my Japanese supplier to do the carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

81 - 100 of 159 Posts