Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Designed and printed those anti wind buffeting strips. Can't believe how well they work in cutting down the cabin noise when driving with windows down! Can't believe it took me 7 years to do something like this. This is definitely way better looking than the wiper mod!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Me too

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
shoot, add me to the list too please ...

·
Registered
415 Posts
If they fit a Gen 2, I'm interested also

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a thread on this from a few years back, I used a windshield wiper blade and double sided sticky tape, most/all of the R8 owners in my area, both Gen 1/2 have this “mod”

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here it is. I tried the wiper blade mod and didn't really like the appearance of it, even though it worked well.

There is a thread on this from a few years back, I used a windshield wiper blade and double sided sticky tape, most/all of the R8 owners in my area, both Gen 1/2 have this “mod”

·
Registered
866 Posts
Is it just a strip or a whole triangle overlay? Pm me cost plz!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bundle this with the cup holder invention for $299. You get $15 per sale for your contribution since nothing beats the cup holder invention.

·
Registered
866 Posts

This is what I have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Winter, haven't seen these for a Gen 1, one of the carbon companies makes them for Gen 2 though. Where are these from?

As someone familiar with the cupholder thread, please lets not devolve this into another one of those. People who come up with solutions to problems and make a product accordingly can charge what they want - if it doesn't sell, the cost/benefit ratio wasn't right. I doubt there are many people on this forum (considering the price point to own one of these cars) who don't value their time highly, so they ask to be compensated accordingly. Engineering time isn't cheap, small scale manufacturing isn't cheap. If you have a better solution (better subjectively or objectively) for the same price or cheaper, great!

I know what price OP is asking, and for me it wasn't worth it - but that's mostly because I'm an engineer with access to CAD software and 3D printers, so I can make my own of these pretty easily - plus, I've never been that bothered by wind buffeting. I applaud the OP for making this option available - I don't want to stick a cut windshield wiper on my car, and this is an improvement aesthetically over that imo.

I considered, and still am considering the cup holder fix, especially now that it's cheaper - that's much more time intensive to create (more complex geometry and more parts), but I honestly don't love the aesthetic (just looks a bit off to my eye), so I may do something myself (since right now I hate having anything to drink in the car that doesn't have a screw on cap).

Nothing is cheap for these cars, and it's not just the "R8 Tax". Anything for these cars is inherently low volume. Development costs have to be absorbed by fewer sales, so the price over cost has to be higher. Basic economics.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
866 Posts
They were 3D printed and painted by someone on this forum, maybe about 16 months ago now. They were for a Gen 2 but they fit **** near perfectly, and they are gloss black which ties into my gloss back grille and trims.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They were 3D printed and painted by someone on this forum, maybe about 16 months ago now. They were for a Gen 2 but they fit **** near perfectly, and they are gloss black which ties into my gloss back grille and trims.
Gotcha - good to know the footprint is similar for sure. I have the gloss black thing going on as well - might have to try my hand at making my own.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts