Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TireRack (for those of us in the U.S.) has now had an R8 in their shop to test for wheel fitments. They said the biggest challenge was brake clearance, as the R8 brakes extend rather far outward.

The lightest of the wheels they offer is the O.Z. Botticelli III, which TireRack tells me weighs roughly 8 pounds less per wheel than the factory wheel (and roughly 3 pounds less than the next lightest wheel they stock for this car, the O.Z. Superleggera III.)

Has anyone had any experience with O.Z. wheels?

·
Registered
172 Posts
O.Z. makes quality wheels Ive never owned a set personaly but I know a few people who had them and Ive heard good things, there on par with bbs quality if that helps

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I've also had very good experiences with TireRack, which now assembles the 3-piece OZ wheels at their own site.

I need to put a set of all-season tires on my car for the winter, and I was going to order a second set of factory wheels. However, the OZ wheels at TireRack are only a few hundred dollars more for a full set, they are forged (the factory wheels are cast), and they weigh considerably less. So I think I'm going with the OZ wheels -- probably the Superleggera III's. (The Botticellis weigh a bit less, but their design is a lot "busier".)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is arriving December 28, and I've got to put all-season tires on it. So I'm now right up against the decision of whether to get new winter wheels and keep the summer tires mounted on the factory wheels instead of switching tires on and off wheels.

I'm leaning toward the O.Z. Superleggera III wheels, which I would get from TireRack and have them mount the winter tires before shipment. Since the R8 has a tire pressure monitoring system, TireRack would install their own sensors on each wheel. They are telling me the R8 receiver will automatically adjust to read the signal from the TireRack sensors.

Does anyone know whether that is true?

Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The OZ are a great brand and look terrific. I would prefer the Galileo III.

They are telling me the R8 receiver will automatically adjust to read the signal from the TireRack sensors. Does anyone know whether that is true?
Yes, I do these all the time. You'll only need to reset the car via the MMI and it will adapt to the new sensors.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the Galileo, too. However, it's a cast wheel. The only two forged O.Z. wheels available for the R8 are the Superleggera and the Botticelli. (The Botticelli is a couple of pounds lighter, but the design is a bit "busy" for my tastes.)

The O.Z. wheels are very close to the factory spec. Factory offsets are 42mm/50mm, and the O.Z. offsets are 43mm/51mm. However, the O.Z. wheels do require centering rings to fit the R8 hubs.

Actually, I committed yesterday to the Superleggera wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RS960 all-season tires (the only all-season tire made in the rear wheel size). I am buying them through my car dealer, who is getting them from TireRack's wholesale division.

I also found out the R8 tire pressure monitoring system can be programmed by the dealer to receive the signals from two different sets of tire sensors without the driver having to do anything. Audi did this to accommodate people who switch tires when they get to the track.

So when the dealer delivers the car to me, it will already be programmed for both the summer and winter set-ups, using TireRack-installed sensors for the winter set-up.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Oops, didn't read the fine print to realize that the Galileo is not a forged wheel. In that case, I'm with you on the Superleggera's.

The centering ring is not a big deal and won't negatively affect fit or performance. Glad to see that you're dealer is taking care of the second wheel package for you. Post some photos when you have it delivered!

·
Registered
21 Posts
..... the OZ wheels at TireRack are only a few hundred dollars more for a full set, they are forged (the factory wheels are cast), and they weigh considerably less. .....".)
HMP10, where do you get your information that the factory OEM wheels are cast? The parts counter at least one of the the local dealers here in Colorado, McDonald Audi, has "opined" they're (in the 19" size at least) are forged.

Then again I don't think they really have any real authority for their view, other than opinion, and the assumption Audi wouldn't be cutting corners on a high performance HALO product.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Don't know what you may have found out that is more authoritative regarding cast vs forged, but the AudiUSA website calls the stock wheels a cast wheel, here:
www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_R8.html, click on "Features and Specs" | "Exterior" | "Wheels: 19" five-double-spoke cast alloy"

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Was hoping those of you seriously tracking the car can give us an update on which wheels and sizes you selected for your track tires?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I bought a set of O.Z.'s as my flashy street wheels, and used the stock wheels for track tires. I got the optional 19" titanium wheels on the car when I bought it.

I use Hoosier R6's, which are relatively expensive track tires but are way sticky. Hoosier does not offer the 305 width in the 19" sizes, so I had to go with 295's on the rear instead of the 305's, which are what came on the stock wheels. The sizes of the front tires are the same.

If I had gotten the 18" wheels on the car originally, there are more size options available in track tires than with 19". But 295's in Hoosier R6's are plenty good for occasional track days.

mt

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Hey, great to know. Think I'll try that next time.

MT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts