Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm with you on the Gen 2 (2017) I have nothing. OBDEleven and VCDS seems more active in other models because more people tinker with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What is it that you want to do with coding?. I have an OBD11 and in the apps you can do most of the basic things withing doing the long form.

But if you want to, you can input code in the same way you can with VCDS.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What is it that you want to do with coding?. I have an OBD11 and in the apps you can do most of the basic things withing doing the long form.

But if you want to, you can input code in the same way you can with VCDS.
If I watch some reviews of the R8 when in performance mode (or possibly in other modes as well) there's a little green arrow that alerts when you should upshift. North American cars do not have that. I'd like to enable that. Plus with the amount of tinkering I can do on something like my RS7 (or other Audi models) it's sad what little R&D has gone into sharing coding for the R8. I'm sure it's because not many own the R8 and have the know how to do it (or even know it exists).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Vcds is the way to go

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the OBD11 the 'apps' for programing (which means it is a one button push) are

-mirror lowering with reverse
-synchronized mirror adjustment
-rear spoiler control
-Turn signals as daytime RL
-RNS-e start screen

All those are done automatically. If you want to go into 'long coding' you can do that just like the VCDS

I know people poo-poo the OBD-11 but I have used it for things that typically would require a VCDS and had no issues. These include

-Programming the head unit of my daughters VWcc to recognize back-up camera
-Resetting service intervals

On the R8
Full readings of all gear position adaptation settings
I have done the clutch adaptation setting
also basic settings channel 2 to get it to re-learn gear positions.

I will be using in a few days to depressurize the hydraulic system to remove the transmission.

Not sure what you cant do with the OBD11 vs VCDS. If I were a mechanic and did this every day for a living, I would want to use VCDS and have a dedicated laptop to work from.

But for wanting all the same functions of VCDS for $90 and not needing a laptop....you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm thinking of jumping on the obdeleven bandwagon and try tinkering as well. Can this also disable magnetic ride, bout to get coilovers as well.

Socal
1984 MBZ W124
1989 BMW E24
1996 Nissan S14
2009 Audi R8

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm thinking of jumping on the obdeleven bandwagon and try tinkering as well. Can this also disable magnetic ride, bout to get coilovers as well.

Socal
1984 MBZ W124
1989 BMW E24
1996 Nissan S14
2009 Audi R8
You will need the KW magride delete. Someone figured out how to code out the magride, but then I think they actually died before sharing the info....tragic

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So anything worth while in the Gen 2 R8 (2016+)? I have the OBD11 but use it primarily for my RS7. On the R8 it only allows video to play in the virtual cockpit while driving (tested it as a novelty it works but certainly not safe or practical) and that was about all there was available.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ahh got it. Thanks. Was trying to read and watch vidz about it. What's the whole credits thing about?

Socal
1984 MBZ W124
1989 BMW E24
1996 Nissan S14
2009 Audi R8

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ahh got it. Thanks. Was trying to read and watch vidz about it. What's the whole credits thing about?
The credits are for one click purchases that they pre-programmed. If you know how the long coding works, you don't need to use credits. You would only need a PRO license.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts