Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post here. I currently have a 2011 V10 Spyder, and am thinking about exchanging in for a Gen 2. Speaking to a couple of main dealers in the UK and two i am looking at seem similar specs but quite different in price. I asked the dealer why their car was quite a lot more expensive and he says the other car i am looking at doesn't have the sports exhaust. I can clearly see on photos on auto trader that the cheaper car has the sports exhaust button on the steering wheel, but the dealer says this will do nothing? He also says that the way to tell if car has sports exhaust is the tail pipe will be black, where as the cheaper car has a chrome tail pipe. Is that right? Why would it have the sports exhaust button if it doesn't have sports exhaust??

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
What??

You can either get a base model V10 or a plus model V10.

Only the plus models come with an sports exhaust button. Both models have the same valve actuated exhaust tho.

So are you looking at a V10 or a V10 plus?

Black tips have nothing to do with exhaust and come with the black optics package.

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus Coupe (Suzuka Grey)
19 Posts
What??

You can either get a base model V10 or a plus model V10.

Only the plus models come with an sports exhaust button. Both models have the same valve actuated exhaust tho.

So are you looking at a V10 or a V10 plus?

Black tips have nothing to do with exhaust and come with the black optics package.
You're quoting US options. You can indeed get the 4 satellite buttons on a base V10 in other countries (Canada included).

If it has the 4 buttons, then its got the sport exhaust. Unless the previous owner added the 2 additional buttons on his wheel and mapped it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^ interesting..... yea they do not offer that as an option in the states. Crazy, I wonder why they do that and not here.....

Oh well, then yes OP if it has 4 buttons it has the sports exhaust.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be correct there is a factory sports exhaust option for the V10 plus Here in the UK, not sure about the non plus and I have it on my plus spyder. Compared to my gen 1 plus it’s much louder with valves open than a standard exhaust and well worth having unless you are going after market, Capristo etc

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're quoting US options. You can indeed get the 4 satellite buttons on a base V10 in other countries (Canada included).

If it has the 4 buttons, then its got the sport exhaust. Unless the previous owner added the 2 additional buttons on his wheel and mapped it.
Incorrect, you still have to option for the sport exhaust, it’s still an option

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Incorrect, you still have to option for the sport exhaust, it’s still an option
Agreed. In the UK on the V10 base the sports exhaust and the 4-sat steering wheel with the dedicated exhaust flap control button are independent options. Its not a sports exhaust button per se. The standard exhaust is also a valved system though standard exhaust and 4-sat steering wheel would be an unusual albeit possible combination

Lists prices were £1500 for the 4-sat steering wheel and £1800 for the sports exhaust -neither will make a big difference in the used market - thats just dealer BS in an attempt to justify the higher price. Ill take a look at the spec for you if you post some links or drop me a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres the spec list (this apparently being a launch spec so sports exhaust came with, hence not on the spec list):

Audi R8 Spyder V10 5.2 FSI quattro 540 PS S tronic
View Vehicle Specification
Optional extras
1. Equipment and design packages
-[S0C] Introductory volume
2. Paint finishes
-[6H4] Sideblade - Matt Titanium Grey
-[5K6] Special protective measures
3. Wheels/tyres
-[45C] 19" 5-arm twin-spoke alloys
23. Suspensions/brakes
-[2MN] Audi Magnetic Ride
10. Seats/seating comfort
-[3PR] Elec fro seats w lumbar memory
11. Seat upholstery/leather trim
-[7HD] Full leather package
12. Trim
-[5MB] Inlays - Matt Titanium
14. Steering wheels/gear levers/selectorlevers/controls
-[2FJ] Lether Sports SW 4 satellites
19. Radio and TV systems
-[9VS] Bang and Olufsen Sound system
-[UI2] Smart Phone Interface
20. Telephone and communications
-[9ZE] Audi phone box
22. Assistance systems
-[8T2] Cruise control
-[KA2] Reversing camera
4. Lights
[PXF] LED headlamps/Audi Laser Light
-[8G1] High-beam control
-[8IZ] LED headlamp with variable light distribution and additional laser high beam
17. Other interior equipment
-[9JC] Smoker's version
Colours
Exterior Colours/ Cabriolet Soft Top Colour - Black
-[K6PA] Ara blue, crystal effect Black
Interior Trim Colours - Seats/Dashboard/Carpet/Headliner
-[JP] Vermont Brown-Vermont Brown/ Granite Gray-Granite Gray/Granite Gray/ Black

Heres a link to an image on AutoTrader showing the wheel

https://m.atcdn.co.uk/a/media/w800h600/34ff313e7fbb471b8a00c36315bf763c.jpg

They sent me a video of a look around of the car and he pressed the button and it comes up on the screen saying "Engine Sound: sport", though he didn't rev the car:

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Found it on the AT - great looking car with 20" wheels contrary to the description which states 19". Laser lights too - my only regret not speccing them.

To me it looks like it does not have the sports exhaust - the other dealer is correct, sports exhaust comes with black exhaust trim pieces. Even if it's a launch car which was specced up by Audi, it should still have the options list, so I'd ask the dealer for evidence that a sports exhaust is fitted if you really want one.

Pressing the exhaust satellite button will show that message regardless of which exhaust is fitted, the only difference is one will be louder than the other.

Not a fan of the seat colour but if you like it get 'er bought. Epic cars. You can always fit your own exhaust afterwards - a few options like Remus for just north of £2k.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2017 base has the four satellite buttons and sports exhaust fitted, the euro sports exhaust has the black tips.
Some may feel the sports exhaust doesn't add value but to me I would not buy an R8 without a sports exhaust so whilst it may not change it value it could affect saleability. I think the oe sports exhaust sounds better than 3rd party options i have heard.

Regardless of 'options' I think all of the spec should still be available via the build sheet
OP8 = sports exhaust
2FJ = 4 button steering wheel
My build sheet, albeit on a French car, has both standard and options listed.

Only regret I have spec wise is lack of B&O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts