Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With the successful debut of the R8 in Paris yesterday, the next logical question is when is it going to hit dealers and what's it going to cost? Auto Motor Und Sport answers the latter in a recent article on their website, stating that the 420 HP, V8 FSI-equipped model will come in at 104,400 Euros. The currency conversion puts that at about $135,500US, at today's rate, but we'd expect that figure to be closer to the $100k mark when playboys and well-to-do recent divorcees pick up their own in the summer of 2007.

Additionally, Road & Track put their crack team of photochop gurus on a rendering of the R8 in drop-top form, which can be viewed here and is rumored to be available in early 2009.

[Source: Auto Motor Und Sport (translated) via The German Car Blog]

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it helps in your effort to try and work out what the R8 might cost in the USA then Audi have estimated a UK price of £76,000 which based on currency conversion is US$142,000. I know you guys on the west of the Atlantic tend to get cars at cheaper prices than converting a Eupoean based price.

But, hopefully the estimate from Audi might help you if you look at UK prices and USA prices of current models that sell on both sides of the pond.

If Lamborghini are increasing power in the Gallardo then the rumours that the V10 is going to find it's way into the R8 will hopefully turn into more than just rumours.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

Do the Euro prices usually include VAT or any other type of taxes already? I heard somewhere they did, to the tune of 17%?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would expect the price detailed in the information I got from the dealer to include the lovely tax :mad: we have in the UK called VAT which is 17.5% :eek:

It doesn't say that it doesn't include it, but at the same time it doesn't say that does. However, I suspect it includes the VAT.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would expect the price detailed in the information I got from the dealer to include the lovely tax :mad: we have in the UK called VAT which is 17.5% :eek:

It doesn't say that it doesn't include it, but at the same time it doesn't say that does. However, I suspect it includes the VAT.
Well, the 17.5% decrease in price certainly helps make it a bit more affordable in the US :) If its already included.

I can hope!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Will the price increase if the demand ?
The price will be set at whatever Audi see fit for the first orders ... if you want to make a quick buck and you already have a deposit down ... you could probably sell your new R8 for somewhat more than you actually paid for it.

According to the salesman that I brought the RS4 from ... one customer ordered three RS4s ... two more or less standard spec RS4s in different colours at about £49,000 each ... the third with various optional extras for around £52,000 ... as soon as he got them both standard spec models appeared in The Times for £60,000 each :eek: ... within days both were sold ... a very quick way of making some money ... if you have it to lay out in the first place that is.

There's probably more hype and anticipation for the R8 as there was for the RS4 ... it wouldn't surprise me if you could add 15-20% on top of the price you pay for the R8 and put it straight back on the market ... people who aren't prepared to wait six months, or more, for an eagerly awaited car will often pay way over the odds so they don't have to wait.

Audi won't increase the price just because the car sells well ... but the second hand prices will stay high if they prove popular ... it's this market where prices go up if there is a demand ... not the showroom.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey Guys

New bloke here! Has anyone had the official UK price and specification through yet?

Thanks.
Not so far as I know ... it's not even in the dealerships yet ... expect the basic price with no options and all standard items to be £75,900 ... or thereabouts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
currency conversion puts that at about $135,500 US, at today's rate
Audi must be high on fucken drugs. Only a complete idiot would pay 130k for this car. I said the car was 30k overpriced at 100k. Now its about 60k overpriced. :eek:

You can get a 2 year old Gallardo for that price tag here or even a 1 year old if your lucky. In the UK you can get a 2 y/o model for even less than that.

I can see the 135k price for the v10 version but for the v8 version? what a joke

·
Registered
113 Posts
Audi must be high on fucken drugs. Only a complete idiot would pay 130k for this car. I said the car was 30k overpriced at 100k. Now its about 60k overpriced. :eek:

You can get a 2 year old Gallardo for that price tag here or even a 1 year old if your lucky. In the UK you can get a 2 y/o model for even less than that.

I can see the 135k price for the v10 version but for the v8 version? what a joke
It's only the same price as we uk boys will have to pay .the dollar is very week at the moment and audi have looked at the currency markets and have seen that the dollar is not going to strengthen
Why should you Yanks pay less than the rest of us

Eg
Uk list price £76,000
-vat @17.5% (uk tax) £-11,319
cost of car without tax £64,681 x $1.95 =$126,137 dollars without shipping costs which are rising
So 130K is about right
If you cannot afford the R8 perhaps you buy something else instead of wining about Quality european cars

·
Registered
840 Posts

Most people are aware that you can't just convert a car price from one currency to another ... so converting UK£76,000 (which seems to be more or less the basic price of the R8) to US$ is a waste of time ... so doing the math today you'll say the R8 is twice the price it should be ... as at UK£1 to US$1.9561 ... £76,000 converts to US$148,663.

What I can't understand is after admiting you will not not be buying an R8 ... but will instead be going for a Gallardo ... and after clearly informing everyone here that you don't think the R8 is worth the wait ... the money ... or is good enough for the price ... why are you bothering to hang around on this site ... :confused:

If I searched out sites with forums for things I was once interested in ... but am now no longer interested in ... I'd not have enough time to go round posting on them all ... let alone be able to give a good reason to explain my actions.

Sure it's meant to be a free world and people can say what they want ... but it doesn't mean we should all go round saying what we want when no one cares what we think and have to say ... after all that would be a waste of time ... which I suspect you will think is just what this post is ... ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you cannot afford the R8 perhaps you buy something else instead of wining about Quality european cars
The R8 is not a quality anything and if you had any kind of brains in your head you would of seen this long ago. It's an overpriced Gallardo wannabe with no where near the power , looks or prestige that comes with owning the real thing. Taylor made for suckers who are into throwing away money just to own the latest fad. The thing comes with the same engine that is in the Audi RS for christs sake. A $60k car. Are you going to tell me all their little extra doohickey technology warrants raising that 60k price tag up to 135k?
You want to blow your money on this overpriced piece of junk be my guest. It will be long forgotten in about a year or two.

When I pull up in my Gallardo and you pull up in your $130,000 Audi which resembles a cheap Mitsubishi Eclipse by the way , no one is going to wonder about you. Unless of course you just enjoy throwing around 100+ grand for "technology" while waiting 10 years for your order to be filled. :rolleyes:
wake up people.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff,

We encourage you to form your own opinion and express it on this site, wether it be positive or negative towards the car. You must however, keep yourself civil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The R8 is not a quality anything and if you had any kind of brains in your head you would of seen this long ago. It's an overpriced Gallardo wannabe with no where near the power , looks or prestige that comes with owning the real thing. Taylor made for suckers who are into throwing away money just to own the latest fad. The thing comes with the same engine that is in the Audi RS for christs sake. A $60k car. Are you going to tell me all their little extra doohickey technology warrants raising that 60k price tag up to 135k?
You want to blow your money on this overpriced piece of junk be my guest. It will be long forgotten in about a year or two.

When I pull up in my Gallardo and you pull up in your $130,000 Audi which resembles a cheap Mitsubishi Eclipse by the way , no one is going to wonder about you. Unless of course you just enjoy throwing around 100+ grand for "technology" while waiting 10 years for your order to be filled. :rolleyes:
wake up people.[/QUOTe)

Didnt Lamborghini use to make tractors ? I thought there was a smell of bullshit about some of these posts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The R8 is not a quality anything ... ... ...
... ... ...
I think you'll find Audis ...
are actually ...
very well renowned for good build quality ...
are far from unreliable ...
are not overly prone to repeated mechanical/technical failure ...
and while ...
they may not be the most reliable cars in the world ...
or the most robust cars in the world ...
they are ...
far from the least reliable ...
better quality than many other car makes ...​
imho ... your statement ... as quoted at the top of this post ... could be interpreted that you see Audi's as not being good quality ... as, by inferring the R8 is not going to be good quality, you feel the same about Audis in general.

It's impossible to say at this time just what kind of qualities the R8 will prove to have ... in terms of build quality, mechanical reliability, etc. ... but from past achievements and Audi's history ... I think it's safe to feel it will not be troubled by overly repeated problems of mechanical/technical failure, or quality, be it build quality, or the general quality of the car itself ... such as other sports cars ... which will remain nameless!

Pretty much any car manufacturer will produce the odd rogue car that just seems to have one problem after another ... but I suspect Audi turn out significantly fewer rogue cars than the majority of other car manufacturers ... I suspect that if real world statistics are looked for, the points listed above would be shown to be realistic ... therefore it would be pretty pointless trying to argue otherwise ... after all ... it wouldn't be very nice for you to argue that Audis are not good quality ... only for someone to post up real world statistics that back up my points above ... and shoot your argument down in flames.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Official word from the Mangager of the Audi Product Launch slates that full pricing and detailed specs will be available to buyers June 2007 in the US on a Audi brand web site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the US the order guide will arrive to participating dealers in February, but don't expect to see the vehicle untill the last quarter of '07

1 - 20 of 32 Posts