Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but have just read that Ohlins have launched their Clubsport coilovers for the R8.

20190819_153314.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
If I ever consider changing my magrides, Ohlins would be my choice, have them on my R1 and they're amazing shocks.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it's over $6.8K USD though :eek: Wouldn't the KW be better with height adjustment.
I have KW's on my track Evo and they are fantastic. My tuner is of the opinion that KW's are slightly more track focussed than Ohlins but the Ohlins give a better ride for road use.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I only have experience on Ohlins fitted on bikes, they are the "go to" shocks for race applications at the highest level, can't see them being inferior on a car to any other shocks!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have experience on Ohlins fitted on bikes, they are the "go to" shocks for race applications at the highest level, can't see them being inferior on a car to any other shocks!
I don't have any experience of Ohlins but am aware of their excellent reputation and agree with you Dave that they are among the best available. I was merely passing on the opinion of my tuner (who incidently is an agent for both Ohlins and KW) who feels that Ohlins are more polished on the road than KW's.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I don't have any experience of Ohlins but am aware of their excellent reputation and agree with you Dave that they are among the best available. I was merely passing on the opinion of my tuner (who incidently is an agent for both Ohlins and KW) who feels that Ohlins are more polished on the road than KW's.
Let's see if any of our forum readers can give an opinion on Ohlins fitted to a car !

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have Ohlins fitted to my Evo IX MR. The DFV road and track variety. Single adjustment for bump and rebound.
I would echo trevs tuners opinion that I also tend to hear that KW are slightly more track focused out of the box although i suspect that has more to do with spring rate as much as anything else, but the R8 is a much heavier car than the evo.
I've never been that blown away by the Ohlins. I find that they seem to transmit a lot of bounce through the seat into my body rather than just killing the bump at the strut if you know what i mean. Its a bit hard to explain really. The Evo came with Bilstein as standard and were very good. I only swapped cause i got a good deal and everybody at the time said they were night and day better. I certainly wouldn't say night and day but they do feel good in general driving. possibly a litte firmer than the billies bit not harsh or uncomfortable. Its only when pushing on over bumps they seem to start to get jittery whereas the billies (as far as i can remember) didn't. The only real benefit is that the car is a lot flatter through corners but that's undoubtedly due to the car being lower. I always keep thinking i should of just stayed with the billies and gone with lowering springs.
I still have some playing around with the settings to do yet so i might hit the sweet spot. Some people say that the spring rates are a little on the low side out of the box too.
That said i see the link trev posted is for their TTX range which are a level above the DFV, and with 2 stage adjustment will give greater control of damping. Personally unless switching between going on road and track i wouldn't bother. Certainly not at that price point with springs separate. Plus they'll probably need rebuilding in a few years at 1/3-1/4 the price. The standard mag ride do a great job for me. I tend to think that in most cases the standard manufacturer configuration is the best for standard driving. Only start changing major components for a specific reason/application.

·
Registered
249 Posts
good to know but I'm on a budget so I think I'm good with the BC coilovers. as much as I want KWs I'd rather use the rest of the money for nice wheels. right now my mag ride is not leaking and its still in great shape but I might make that switch to BC coilovers sooner rather than later. just wanted my r8 to be lower than factory.

·
Vendor
272 Posts
With KW, keep in mind that they do not offer a warranty on their Club Sport Coilovers, 2 way Race Coilovers or 3 way Race Coilovers but Ohlins does.

KW does warrant their V1, V2 and V3, though.

That's not to say that KW's product isn't as high quality, but something like that matters to some folks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're getting too much body oscillation over bumps, the damper is failing to control the oscillation of the main spring. That's a damper's only job. A good suspension is one oscillation and done.

If you've had adjustable coilovers at the same setting for some time, and feel like they're a bit "worn" (again, getting a lot of jounce/rebound over bumps where the spring continues to bounce multiple times), try adjusting them full hard, then full soft, full hard once more and then back off from full hard to your preferred setting. You'll notice a difference. Best I can tell, the shim stacks get out of whack, misaligned and zeroing them out, both ways, seems to line everything up again as it should be.

Going with a progressive rate spring (Bilsteins) will always have a perceived better ride on the street but being non-linear, aren't as predictable/consisten when things are pushed. I think if you're a motorcycle guy who can set their own suspension up, going with a 2 or even 3-way is the way to go. Takes a bit of trial and error to dial it in but in the end, you'll get the perfect balance vs. a 1-way if the spring rates are spot-on for your needs and preferences.

·
Chassis Engineer
132 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but have just read that Ohlins have launched their Clubsport coilovers for the R8.

View attachment 239044
The Ohlins TTX suspension package was released a few years ago for the gen1 R8. Ohlins just recently released a TTX package for the gen 2 R8. We have been running, testing and adjusting the gen 1 package on our 2012 R8 V10 manual for a few months. We sell and support both packages.

Steering/Ride/Handling - The steering wheel fight and vibration in the base suspension is gone, the steering feel is better, more linear and direct at low tire pressures (39/36 psi vs door sticker of 45/41) and the car runs much flatter, more controlled and predictable at the limit. The initial feel on square edges and impacts to me is more rounded and damped than the stock magnetic ride.

Weight - One big note is that these Ohlins TTX coilovers are 18 pounds lighter per vehicle than the stock magnetic ride units.

Clean package - no remote reservoirs to find a home.

Adjustability - two-way adjustable in compression and rebound where one click is noticeable.

Durability - In 6 years we have not had to rebuild a single set of Ohlins TTX shocks for our 2005-2006 customers including one owner who has over 60,000 miles on his Ohlins Ahlman Performance Suspension package.

Performance Biased, in our testing so far, the Ohlins gen1 R8 TTX package, is more smooth road track biased (for performance) than stock as it is notably stiffer in spring rate than stock and so the ride is choppier and more abrupt than the base R8 on much of our northern road roughness. And I would say North American roads in general.

So we are finalizing a "Street Performance" tune of this great Ohlins TTX package for the R8 with damper adjustments along with spring rates more suited to running on the road most of the time with great spirited road running and the track once in a while. We are doing final high performance passenger car track testing mid September for this package. This is the same type of Ohlins TTX package that 95% of our 2005-2006 Ford GT customers choose. We only support Ohlins packages and do custom tunes like what we are doing for the R8. We help our customers on install, adjustment/tuning for their usage and any questions along the way. This is straight forward for us as we drive what we sell.

Prices
Audi R8 Gen1 Ohlins TTX costs $5,370 and $510 for the magnetic ride delete kit is $510
Audi R8 Gen 2 Ohlins TTX costs $5,590 and $510 for the magnetic ride delete kit is $510
Audi R8 Gen 1 Ohlins TTX Ahlman Performance Street Performance (SP) price is TBD, but will be in $5800/vehicle region.

Call us at 608-333-7581 with inquiries, orders or questions. We are glad to help you get the best package for your needs.

The in car pictures are of the Ohlins TTX package and the separate coilover picture is of the Ohlins TTX Ahlman Performance SP suspension package.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Useful summary, Scott.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts