Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to get to the 600 mile break in point today, the "Add Oil" warning light came on. Sure enough, the dip stick showed a quart down.

The user's manual says to expect oil consumption during break in, but has anyone else seen a quart low this early?

My guess is it came low from the factory and my dealer simply didn't check. (They had also left the orange shock shipping pieces in on the front right, which I noticed before my test drive.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a low oil light on the way home from the delivery of the car. Its pretty common and had something to do with some sort of valve being closed and the oil sensor thinking it was full during the prep when it wasn't. It was a few months ago and the details escape me although there is a thread that discusses it in depth. Get a quart of oil... you'll be golden

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same thing happened to us on our drive home on the pickup of the R8 SC to Tx. We're told it is common.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
7,500 miles now.2500 since last oil change .Almost 1/2 qt. low.Driven real hard...but warmed up nicely before leaving driveway.I feel pretty lucky that I don't consume like some of the others.:eek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got the low oil warning at 1k miles. I just read the owners manual and the engine uses regular SAE 5W40. I was thinking some special oil like the M6 which I only find at BMW dealers.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I just read the owners manual and the engine uses regular SAE 5W40.
Not quite "regular oil", it has to meet the Audi specification. Search this forum for many impassioned threads about the "right" oil. :)

Castrol has a connection with Audi Racing and their Syntec (in USA) is commonly used by the dealers - study the owner's manual for the required approval. (If you look closely at the oil fill cap, it has "Castrol" molded into it.)

If you are an Audi Club member, you might call Joey Cabrera at Motul USA in Pomona (800) 926-6685. I spoke to him at the Long Beach Grand Prix, and he is considering offering a club discount. They make Audi-approved oils that are of the highest quality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a bottle of Castrol Syntec in my garage. The back of the container reads "Also meets engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3, Porsche,BMW,Volvo,and Mercedes Benz" No Audi or VW.

I have a quart of My M6 oil. Castrol TWS Motorsport. The back of the container reads "Exklusiv-Freigabe fur BMW M3, M5 und Z8.
Shouldn't the R8 and RS have exclusive motor oil from Castrol? I get better info from you Desperado. Thanks!

I called to Audi service to confirm. They told me Castrol Syntec 5W40.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of oils are Audi approved, including Mobil 1, and you can run 0W40 also in a pinch. 5W40 proved to be rather hard to find for me, but I did track down the Castrol Syntec 5W40 and picked up three quarts -- you never can tell when the light will come on again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts