Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you experienced high oil consumption in your v8 R8s? If so, what was the problem and how was it fixed?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Hi Audi Tech..lots of threads and posts on this topic if you do a search.

Basically most R8's seem to consume oil ..some higher than others but all seem to settle down after a few 1000 kmh's

It is normal for this engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize this, Gazza1, it was the same with the 4.2 RS4s when they first came out. Only reason I'm asking here is We have one R8 which is doing around about 1L per 1000km (dead on the limit) after having done 10000km. It is currently booked in for more in depth checks as previously we have only had time to top up the oil with the customer waiting. It should have settled done by now in my opinion, I was just wondering if anyone has had any cases where they've had to do rings or something similar (i.e an actual problem). I'm doing my homework before I get the car so I can look in the right places when I get it.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Although I have not had to add oil, at my 5000 mile service the tech said these engines can use 1qt every 1500-2000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
yeah, lot's of threads on oil consumption but 1L every 1km at 10,000km sounds excessive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yup, 1L at first 800 miles, currently at 1300 miles and nothing else. Rep told me to expect 1L per 1,000 miles for first 3 to 5K miles then should decrease. Yeah, when the first light went on I used quite a few choice words.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My reason for bringing this up is that it has now done 10000kms. It should be fully settled by now going by previous experience. I have a suspicion it may have been a press car when it was brand new (the customer got it when it already had 2500km on it). This makes me think it could have possibly been caused some damage due to an improper bedding in period.

My question is, has anyone Actually had a problem recognized by Audi and had piston rings replaced or something to that effect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All will become a bit clearer when the car comes back for the extensive testing, of course, I just want to see if I'm thinking along the correct lines.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
And we are all hungry for information as usual !!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've added three quarts in under 4,000 miles.

My Audi dealer said anything under one quart per 1,000 miles is considered acceptable.

I'm looking forward to my engine's thirst for oil diminishing over time.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
How often do you guys check the dip-stick? Each day or only if the warning light comes on?

My dealer wants to fill up any needed oil....per AoA....so it can be tested. So if it is low while I'm around home, they want me to come in and NOT fill it myself!

It sounds like AoA....Audi.....is trying to figure out the oil use issue!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I test when I suspect it's getting low, so every 1k-1500 miles or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may want to ask your customer if he moves the car a short distance frequently - I often move my R8 out of the garage onto the drive then back again, (to get something from the garage) - when I've done that a couple of times on the run without driving the car, I get a lot of oil smoke for about a min before it clears, i.e. it uses oil.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I had a couple of weeks to go through my manual before my car arrived. I know how exited we get when the car arrives...almost no time for anything but driving, let alone read the book. This forum is great but you must not discount the BOOK! (R8 Bible). Page # 170 of my '08 R8s' owner manual...Break-in period...A new vehicle must be broken in, and the break-in period should be 1,500miles(2,500km). Do not use full acceleration for the first 600miles (1,000km), and do not exeed the maximum engine speed of 6,000rpm. You must also not use full acceleration between 600 and 1,200 miles (1,000 to 2,000km). From1,200 to 1,500 miles (2,000 to 2,500km) , you can gradually increase maximum engine speed to 8,250 rpm for breif periods. During the first hours of operation, there is greater friction in the engine and the transmission than later when all the moving parts have broken in. The way you drive during the first 1,500miles (2500km) affects engine quality. If you drive at moderate speeds thereafter, particularly when the engine is cold, you reduce engine wear and increase the potential mileage of the engine. Do not drive at RPMs that are too LOW. Shift down when the engine is no longer running "SMOOTHLY". Extremely high RPMs are governed automatically. Maybe there are changes in the '09 ,'10 ,and V10 manuals...I do not know. So it all boils down to-If you want your engine to last as long as possible follow these instructions. Oil consumption wasn't mentioned at all in the "Break-in section" :eek::D:confused::):cool:

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Interesting thread.

My first oil add was right around 4K. Service was done just after - 5,276 mile according to my receipt.

Second oil add was once again just before the second service - 10,747 miles.

Had to add one other time - seems like somewhere around 22K.

I now have 31,800 and have not had to add oil since. I take the car in as soon as the little dash info station says it's time for an oil change.

I have never babied the engine. Foot to the floor in second as I left the dealership (car was completely warm, btw).

Interesting how we're seeing such different things among our rides.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
also worth remembering that audi suggest different weights of oil for different markets - the uk is different to the us from what I recall.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I'll bet here on the Left coast, with our warmer weather, the suggested lube is a bit thicker? and with the heat makeing the oil a bit warmer ...MORE oil consumption?? :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I'll bet here on the Left coast, with our warmer weather, the suggested lube is a bit thicker? and with the heat makeing the oil a bit warmer ...MORE oil consumption?? :)
hey! SOME parts of the "left coast" aren't so warm! (or crowded!) ;) ;)

on my recent delivery, the g.m. of the dealership himself said: "don't buy oil, come in and we'll top it off, we use Mobil1 5w40 in the R8"....possibly they ARE trying to get a handle on oil consumption in a wider cross section of cars than just those who actually raise the complaint of high oil consumption (same dealer as Steve SBFV10)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
My dealer uses Castrol 5W-40.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What is the best oil then? I was under the impression it was Castrol from a previous thread about oil, not sure which Castrol tho.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts