Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From another forum, but I am sure a few of you will now know the engine likes oil. I use FUCHS as I understood this is the factory fill oil.

Written by a US chap on a US RS4 forum :-

This engine requires 5W-40 oil. This engine has some tight bearing tolerances, so higher viscosity oil may cause issues during start when the engine is cold and the bearings are not well lubricated.

This engine is extremely hard on oil. Although Audi "requires" 502.00 approved oils, none of the oils we have seen in 14 different RS4 engines performs worth a ****. The oil is literally destroyed by about 3K miles, with high levels of fuel in the oil and high bearing wear, as measured by oil analysis. If you are going to insist on using Audi approved 502.00 spec oil, and you are planning to keep your car past the 50K mile warranty period is up, then change the oil out every 3000 miles or so. There is no way that any 502 oil will run more than that, without causing long term damage to the engine.

One owner had decent, not great, but decent success with Amsoil Euro Formulation 5W-40. The bottle says that it is "recommended for Audi 502.00 applications". It is not Audi/VW approved. (I asked them.) But looks like it is approved, so service departments won't usually know the difference. If you bring it in they will normally put it in your engine with no questions asked.

For those that are willing to use the best oil available for their engines, I worked with an oil tribologist (lubrication expert) and a specialty oil formulator, to have the best possible oil blended for this engine. The result is an oil that fights fuel dilution really well, drops engine wear by a factor of 3:1 over 502.00 oils, and has a life of at least 6K miles, if not 7500 mile between oil changes in this engine. I have been using it in my engine for 11K miles, and 4 other owners are using it with incredibly good results.

Anyone who is interested can contact me about becoming involved in the RS4 oil monitoring project. Anyone who agrees to pay for oil analysis to be done by Terry Dyson, can be included in the project, will receive all the analysis data that we currently have, and will receive the information for ordering the oil that we have formulated.

·
Registered
313 Posts
but Audi advices to use 507.000 spec oil, if you use a longlife oil you won't have this problems

·
Registered
782 Posts
The R8 uses longlife Castrol Edge Oil! Your oilcap even says that Castrol is recommended! :)

And as far as I know the R8 doesn't use 5W40, but 5W30! And it needs to have the spec 50400/50700 not the 50200! It's the same for the RS4.

502000 oils are primary used in diesel and turbo engines and is not made for R8 or RS4 engines. And is also not made for longlife engines.

So, no 5W40 for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
same for me, I only use what Audi suggests........if the engine goes bang, well, I can tell them that I only used what Audi told me to use............I guess they have tested this long enough and that's why Audi came up with this spec's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
same here.. i agree with Mike and Guilty...

I even skipped the plan to change oil after approx. 5k km - cause they say its not needed...

but I have to check oil this weekend, probably in the beginning, the engine is using more oil...

·
Registered
782 Posts
same here.. i agree with Mike and Guilty...

I even skipped the plan to change oil after approx. 5k km - cause they say its not needed...

but I have to check oil this weekend, probably in the beginning, the engine is using more oil...
Strange enough, my R8 almost didn't use any oil! I did 4k km's now! And I did brake it in hard :) :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
just a suggestion: everyone who posts their opinion on what oil to use should state clearly what country they are operating in!

I just contacted Audi/USA Technical Services, who stated "follow the instructions printed in your owners manual". For the USA, the oil spec is Audi oil standard VW 502.00, SAE 5W40. If not available, 5W30, or 0W40 may be used as long as it meets Audi oil quality standard VW 502.00 specifications.

Regarding the post on an RS4 thread about specially-formulated oils, Audi USA says that may void your Audi USA Warranty.

Of course, if your engine does not blow up, and you don't get caught...........

We'll probably go 'by the book', just so when that time comes, the next owner can't complain about our not having followed the factory reccomendations. (here in the states that seems to be a very big deal on exotics). And just remember how litigious we are here in the states!!

Of course, the preceding is just IMVHO......

James&Caroline
Daytona Gray & Black/CF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts