Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Display shows oil temp senor defective. I would like to replace it but can’t find a listing for it. Is iit a dual sensor that shows both temp and oil level? Not sure why I am having so much trouble finding this part. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for bumping this topic...

I have the oil temp sensor warning...

I have taken the airbox out..

Does anyone know whether i need to empty the oil tank before taking this out? as it looks like it has a rubber ring, so stop oil leaks so i am not sure...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dont think that is right, the part number is 420907660 and looks completley different to whats shown and the sensor part has a 90 degree down tip.

View attachment 238660

lg_3aa2e085-f030-4878-a030-8190c49cbee3.jpg

And i think the notch on the down tip is the max level of oil..... You see, if it was to fill up, the level will indicate the temp gauge to red for oil level....
?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just got mine shipped as well and about to put this in during the next day or two. Looks like access for R&R might be better served from underneath the car though in lieu of pulling out the airbox ??

Anyone try this approach ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I dont know if the V8 oil reservoir is different from the V10, but I just changed mine (V10) and it was in front of the tank. Oil did not need to be drained, although it did drip a little out. There's a video on youtube one someone doing it. The bottom hex screw was a pain to get out just from how little room there was.

·
Registered
372 Posts
can you share the youtube link please
Cant seem to find it, it must have been taken down.

Here is what the front of your Oil Reservoir tank
Dry-Sump-Oil-Tank-Reservoir-420115373C-OEM-Audi-R8-2012-15-303022411029.JPG

Remove a bolt holding the top of the tank and bend that heat shield. Pull the tank towards you to get more room. Remove the hex bolts and swap sensor. You might have to twist the sensor around to get it out (you saw how it was shaped).

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I've just checked through drawings for the V10 and V8 from 2009 to 2012

Part number 420 907 660 Oil level switch for both V8 AND V10.

Part number 079 919 523B V8 oil temp.
Part number 079 919 523A V10 oil temp.

So are all these drawings wrong?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cant seem to find it, it must have been taken down.

Here is what the front of your Oil Reservoir tank
View attachment 238698

Remove a bolt holding the top of the tank and bend that heat shield. Pull the tank towards you to get more room. Remove the hex bolts and swap sensor. You might have to twist the sensor around to get it out (you saw how it was shaped).

I have removed the airbox and top tank bolts... the tank wont move... there are two bolts located that the bottom front and rear of the tank holding it down..... these needs removing....

·
Registered
169 Posts
You don't need to move the tank. It's tight quarters to operate in and the lower hex bolt of the sensor cannot be seen but it can be done.

I took the hex bit and held it in place in the bolt then took small vice grips ( coming in from the right hand side) and turned the hex bit to loosen the bolt...then removed the bolt by hand.

Oddly enough the sensor still did not want to be removed. You have to swing it to the far right to get enough clearance for it to back out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't need to move the tank. It's tight quarters to operate in and the lower hex bolt of the sensor cannot be seen but it can be done.

I took the hex bit and held it in place in the bolt then took small vice grips ( coming in from the right hand side) and turned the hex bit to loosen the bolt...then removed the bolt by hand.

Oddly enough the sensor still did not want to be removed. You have to swing it to the far right to get enough clearance for it to back out.

Hope this helps.

the transmission mount is preventing it from being fully removed. it is impossible. I have tried all angles, directions for the last 2 hours. There is on t30 screw into the oil tank, and 2 underneath the exhaust flex joint.

it is as per https://www.r8talk.com/forums/60-maintenance-service/87282-diy-oil-level-sensor-replacement.html too

·
Registered
169 Posts
I feel your pain but I can assure you it will come out.

All I did was remove the bolt holding the heat shield in place on the tank to push the shield out of the way and the two hex bolts securing the sensor to the tank ( electrical connector too ). I didn't mess with any other bolts securing the oil tank.

As long as you got both hex bolts out ( top and bottom ) slowly back out the sensor and slide it towards the passenger side of the car. It's a tight fit and an awkward angle but it can be removed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dont think that is right, the part number is 420907660 and looks completley different to whats shown and the sensor part has a 90 degree down tip.

View attachment 238660

View attachment 238662

And i think the notch on the down tip is the max level of oil..... You see, if it was to fill up, the level will indicate the temp gauge to red for oil level....
?
Yes 420907660 is the oil level sensor and not the oil temperature sensor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts