Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire popped at speed. Warning light immediately on dash. Pulled over right away and hear loud hissing as tire dropped down to rim.

Waiting for tow truck and plan to leave it in the parking lot of a tire place tonight.

This is third flat tire in 55,000 Miles.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not ideal, but if you don't know someone local to take it to, probably about your only option. How's the area of town? If something happens to it, figure it's why we have insurance.

On another note though, something to think about given your interest in high speed runs. Did you pick up a nail or something else? This may be a blessing

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe its worth it to get the Rims checked. Leakdown test and check for sharp edges.

Newer Jaguar rims have a second smaller Rim inside that can get sharp if the tyre machine isnt used correctly and "cut" the tyre from the inside.
If your rim is leaking air (not the tyre, the rim itself) you might drive underinflated and the tyre pops easier.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Ahh, asked about the tow in the other thread - but answered here. :)

I'm actually surprised you've had so many flats with the R8 on standard rims. Then again, you do drive all over the place. On my BMWs, I had numerous flats with the OEM RFTs - terrible, terrible things. I had 3 flats in something like 18k miles on my previous F10 550. I learned the lesson and just switched to non-RFTs on the current car. But, knock on wood, I've never had an issue with the R8. I've found the Y-spoke (V10) rims to be very sturdy, and both the current PS4S and previous PZeros never gave me problems.

But it may just be statistics for you - drive enough places, especially through areas where debris on the road may be an issue, and you'll get a small puncture. My BMW RFTs wouldn't get small punctures - they were side-wall blow-outs... much more dangerous, and that was due to pressure versus something like a small nail.

Reactions: V10MANUAL

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw the tire in the light today and perhaps those photo shows what happened. I'll have the tire in my hands tomorrow when I pick up the car to really check it, but this looks like the cause. No idea what would cause this. Perhaps it's the "side wall" blowout that was mentioned.

Also, is there any value in the three tires? I know they get resold because I've been in tire recycling facilities and see trucks of old tires come in and then guys on an assembly line inspect them and pull the good ones off the line to be resold. They then take the old bad tires and chop them up and make it into playground mulch and gardening edges. I'm big into understanding my carbon footprint (actually I'm so far negative that I make up for thousands of other people) and enjoy knowing tires don't always go in a landfill.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
936 Posts
@JuddS - bummer to hear that. We have the exact same car except for the sideblades (and mesh of course) :) I just love black sports cars! Just went over 6k miles the other day...

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
@JuddS A sidewall blowout would be much more extreme - usually a big gaping hole, and you wouldn't have had time to hear it hissing out after you stopped. From that pic, it looks like you had contact with something in the road that swiped the side and punctured it. Some kind of road debris.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll call you after I put 40k more miles on my car and need a new one. Yours looks great! But you probably are too smart to sell it to a guy like me. I really want to buy the exact same car with low miles in a few years.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sucks. This happened to me too after a track day. I was lucky it happened after I got off the highway.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'll call you after I put 40k more miles on my car and need a new one. Yours looks great! But you probably are too smart to sell it to a guy like me. I really want to buy the exact same car with low miles in a few years.
As the great Herb Cohen titled his book (very old book), "You Can Negotiate Anything" ....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love to negotiate. I took a business school class on negotiation and told the teacher to put me against the best. He said I’d never win against the kids who grew up negotiating the price of rice and other food staples to help feed their family. He was right, I lost every time but learned a lot.

I tried to negotiate my tire price and got zero. Pretty hard to push for a price discount on tires when you have a flat sitting in their parking lot though well, he did tell me I’d get a 5% discount if I signed up for their credit card but I’m sure anyone can get that. I also got them to store my car inside for the night so I guess that’s at least something.
The biggest lesson I learned about negotiation is to push hard at the end on the big deals. You can nickel and dime your whole life but buying a house at 2mm vs 2.1mm or something like that makes a big overall difference. It’s funny though, sometimes in business i pay more than they would take to maintain a relationship and that leads to a bigger deal the next time. I’m no big shot though and just trying to grow it as fast as I can.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I love to negotiate. I took a business school class on negotiation and told the teacher to put me against the best. He said I’d never win against the kids who grew up negotiating the price of rice and other food staples to help feed their family. He was right, I lost every time but learned a lot.

I tried to negotiate my tire price and got zero. Pretty hard to push for a price discount on tires when you have a flat sitting in their parking lot though well, he did tell me I’d get a 5% discount if I signed up for their credit card but I’m sure anyone can get that. I also got them to store my car inside for the night so I guess that’s at least something.
The biggest lesson I learned about negotiation is to push hard at the end on the big deals. You can nickel and dime your whole life but buying a house at 2mm vs 2.1mm or something like that makes a big overall difference. It’s funny though, sometimes in business i pay more than they would take to maintain a relationship and that leads to a bigger deal the next time. I’m no big shot though and just trying to grow it as fast as I can.
I just meant to say, for the right price, I would sell the R8. I am not in love with it like I am with my wife. In the end, it's just a car for me. I happen to really like how it looks and sounds, and feels. But for the right price, I'd let her go. :cool:

Reactions: JuddS

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way. The tire had a nail ir something go through it. I still had all 4 changed but had the hole plugged.

Anyone want the tires? You can have em if you want em. I had them put in bags and now they are sitting in my SUV but I think I'll just dump them in a day or two if no one wants them.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Automotive exterior Wood Tints and shades Gas Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light
Water Grey Wood Tints and shades Rectangle
Wood Grey Flooring Tints and shades Rectangle

·
Registered
936 Posts
why don't you have the one repaired (if it wasn't the sidewall)... then you have a burnout set or drifting set.. ha haaa... otherwise, sell them to one of those tire re-tread companies, At least they won't just go in the trash. They probably cost more to ship that their worth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts