·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't think this has been posted either

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh man ... I really need to get some track courses and track!!!

ps: someone recently posted a video of either the v8 or v10 on a track, any idea which thread it was?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Was this the Audi driving school?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Was this the Audi driving school?
It was filmed at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) in Sonoma CA. This is where the Audi Experience is head-quartered.

There was another recent posting with Alan McNish driving an R-Tronic V10 ...I can no longer find it but it was filmed from inside the car and McNish was demonstrating the "advantages" of R-Tronic and some subsequent posters commented on the "head snap" of the passenger at each gear change.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It was filmed at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) in Sonoma CA. This is where the Audi Experience is head-quartered.

There was another recent posting with Alan McNish driving an R-Tronic V10 ...I can no longer find it but it was filmed from inside the car and McNish was demonstrating the "advantages" of R-Tronic and some subsequent posters commented on the "head snap" of the passenger at each gear change.
I was also looking for the thread but found it on youtube instead, here it is:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Think Michael Schumaker has tested in an R8 ?? It's nice to hear what the Experienced/Pros, think about any of the latest models. :)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Supercars exposed has an episode on Speed channel this coming Monday, 9/14/09, about an R8 at Inferion raceway

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I'm glad to see that even the very best pros hit the rev limiter occasionally ;) - I was worried I was the only one... :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Think Michael Schumaker has tested in an R8 ?? It's nice to hear what the Experienced/Pros, think about any of the latest models. :)
Almost certainly not as he is contracted to Ferrari.....

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The Maestro has a "Ferrari Red" chopper with an S&S (Harley Style) engine. He is GERMAN so as soon as his contract runs out we'll see Mike in an Audi. I don't know if David Bekham stayed with his Audi SUV. He was dining a while back when his BMW SUV was stolen. Before his meal was finished a NEW Audi SUV had been delivered to him by Audi. We ponder...WHO stole his BIMMER ??:)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Supercars exposed has an episode on Speed channel this coming Monday, 9/14/09, about an R8 at Inferion raceway
Thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Anyone else get an invite to a five day event with McNish and the V10 @ Audi Sportscar Experience in Sonoma?

"In this very special five-day event, you will be one of the very first people in the USA to drive the V10-powered Audi R8 5.2 FSI. Your host will be Audi factory team racing driver and two-time winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Allan McNish. Add the backdrop of Infineon Raceway and the Napa and Sonoma valleys, and we have the ingredients for an adventure
you will never forget. You will drive some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the world and as you become familiar with the R8 5.2 FSI, you will then spend the next two days improving your driving skills and lapping Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California under the guidance of Allan McNish and the instructors of the Audi Sportscar Experience.

Over the course of the week, you will:
• Drive the Audi R8 5.2 FSI
• Master the Infineon Raceway
• Lap the track with two-time LeMans winner Allan McNish
• Visit highly-acclaimed wineries closed to the public
• Taste some of California’s finest cult wine
• Relax at the Carneros Inn
• Enjoy regional cuisine at the heart of America’s Slow
Food Movement
We invite you and a guest to join us in this one-time only event
from Sunday, 27th September to Friday 02nd October 2009."

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just watched this vid and just wondering, how come he uses the gear stick to change gear instead of the gear paddles on this vid, when on the other one he says how much better it is to use the paddles :confused:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Both paddles and stick do the same job in the same amount of time.:cool:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not really when it takes longer to reach for the stick that it does to pull ya fingers back on a paddle? And i was getting at the fact in the video i posted he said using the stick puts you at a disadvantage because of having one hand on the wheel yet in the vid in the first post here he uses the stick.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You are right about that .But let me clarify...In a drag race you can get by with one hand on the wheel and the other shifting away. Remember, there were Autos way before someone thought of putting paddles on the wheel.AND, occasionally you may hit some twisties that are so tight (like my roads at home) that paddles CANNOT be used because the wheel is UPSIDE down.Get my DRIFT ?? :D :D Come to think of it American Muscle cars with hydraulic automatics, once rebuilt with shift kits -Shift really freakin' fast t:cool::cool: . :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
There are situations where both would be the same and others where one is better, still wondering why he says one thing and does the other in the vids :eek:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
In an ETREME situation like losing controll in a tight turn you may want to down shift with the stick. As you can tell , I dig the tight stuff, where not too much shifting goes on. The twisties give me the same exitement factor as surfing medium 4-10 ft. sized waves. :):D:eek::cool: When you drop into a wave and pull a hard carving bottom turn...THAT is a pure G-FORCE feeling, like getting the whip while waterskiing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Have you ever heard anyone compare surfing and street carving?? Skateboards can mimic the feeling as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts