Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're expecting a snow storm on Sunday, so the R8 is officially away for winter. The CTEK is plugged in, and she's now "sleeping" in the garage until April rolls around.

That said, today the tree went up, and another red R8 came out for the season. Enjoy the holiday season, folks!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Nice Ez! That's going to be a modern classic for sure. Happy holidays folks!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Looks good EZ. I took mine over to Ricky recently to store for the winter. Probably be around April time until the weather improves enough for me to collect it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We're expecting a snow storm on Sunday, so the R8 is officially away for winter. The CTEK is plugged in, and she's now "sleeping" in the garage until April rolls around.

That said, today the tree went up, and another red R8 came out for the season. Enjoy the holiday season, folks!

View attachment 245977

that's a pretty cool ornament...thanks for posting. does that come with a black r8?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i'm just curious, for members here that have to store their R8s during winter...isn't that bad not driving it for months? obviously it won't have a dead battery since its connected to a tender but what about the engine? most likely it'll have check engine when you crank it the first time right? what other problems do you guys encounter? i drive my r8 once a week and 6-7 days to me is already a long time and mine is always connected to a battery tender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going to take one last rip today give her a nice cleaning start waiting for spring happy holidays thanks all from the forum help etc hope to see more r8’s in Massachusetts next year go pats

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would go nuts if I go without driving my R8 after a few days. What do you guys drive during the winter?
The R8 is only a sunny day / weekend / point A-to-A car for me, so while I miss driving it in the winter, I still go weeks at a time (in the summer) without driving it, too. My daily driver is a 2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe. Funny enough, because I work from home, it may get driven even less than the R8. I've had it for about 3 years now and I'm just getting ready to break 10k miles. But it's a very nice place to spend time - tons of tech toys, very luxurious interior, etc. I've also been putting off replacing my wife's Q5 as the latest breed of mid-sized SUVs she was interested in are still very new - wanted to give them a model year (if possible) to mature a bit. Will likely be doing that this spring with the new MB GLE (her pick).

In the meanwhile, the R8 will rest up warm and dry in the garage for the winter. The snow, alone, wouldn't be bad for it, but the road salts are just death to cars. I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so need to steer clear of that stuff.

that's a pretty cool ornament...thanks for posting. does that come with a black r8?
Not sure. I bought it in 2014 - was sold by Audi as part of their "Audi Collection" at the time. Worked nicely as it was red (like my car) and from the year I bought it.

i'm just curious, for members here that have to store their R8s during winter...isn't that bad not driving it for months? obviously it won't have a dead battery since its connected to a tender but what about the engine? most likely it'll have check engine when you crank it the first time right? what other problems do you guys encounter? i drive my r8 once a week and 6-7 days to me is already a long time and mine is always connected to a battery tender.
I've never had a single problem. Definitely no check engine lights or anything. The car just fires up like it would any other time. Some people will put stabil in the tank, put some extra air in the tires, etc, but simply connecting it to a battery tender is fine. In fact, the first winter - I didn't even use a battery tender (granted, the battery was new). Zero issues. Whenever I start the car, I let leave it in the aux position (key) to let pumps prime and voltage come up before turning it over - same process I use which ever start, but it certainly is helpful if the car has been sitting.

Very nice Ez, but what is "winter" :cool:
Dave, I look forward to the day I can say the same. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm the same way ez, the R8 is mainly a point A to point A car used in the weekends and an occasional drive during the week. My daily is a 2014 A5 which has a little more tech and comfort features compared to my 2015 R8.

I don't blame you for storing it during the winter. I wouldn't want to drive it in the salt either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The R8 is only a sunny day / weekend / point A-to-A car for me, so while I miss driving it in the winter, I still go weeks at a time (in the summer) without driving it, too. My daily driver is a 2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe. Funny enough, because I work from home, it may get driven even less than the R8. I've had it for about 3 years now and I'm just getting ready to break 10k miles. But it's a very nice place to spend time - tons of tech toys, very luxurious interior, etc. I've also been putting off replacing my wife's Q5 as the latest breed of mid-sized SUVs she was interested in are still very new - wanted to give them a model year (if possible) to mature a bit. Will likely be doing that this spring with the new MB GLE (her pick).

In the meanwhile, the R8 will rest up warm and dry in the garage for the winter. The snow, alone, wouldn't be bad for it, but the road salts are just death to cars. I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so need to steer clear of that stuff.

Not sure. I bought it in 2014 - was sold by Audi as part of their "Audi Collection" at the time. Worked nicely as it was red (like my car) and from the year I bought it.

I've never had a single problem. Definitely no check engine lights or anything. The car just fires up like it would any other time. Some people will put stabil in the tank, put some extra air in the tires, etc, but simply connecting it to a battery tender is fine. In fact, the first winter - I didn't even use a battery tender (granted, the battery was new). Zero issues. Whenever I start the car, I let leave it in the aux position (key) to let pumps prime and voltage come up before turning it over - same process I use which ever start, but it certainly is helpful if the car has been sitting.

Dave, I look forward to the day I can say the same. :)

that is definitely good to know ezmaass...now i won't be too paranoid not using it for 2 weeks. its been raining here for 2 weeks now and i would never drive mine when it's raining. same as you, i only use my r8 once a week on healthy runs on the freeway with no traffic and since i hardly drive it my runs are straight...no stop overs just a straight 45min run without turning off the engine. i use my other audis for daily drives. i'm too paranoid bringing the r8 to the mall and leaving it by itself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts