Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
The GT OEM CF wing weighs less than the dynamic spoiler and mechanism. That's why there is no dynamic spoiler on the Superleggera GT's.

I have no intention to. I was trying to point out that my bone-stock wing looks very at-home on mine. One of the reasons I got a GT, is because it has all the aero stuff and weight savings others have done to theirs, but it's all stock. I actually had a guy tell me one time that he didn't like it and I shouldn't have put a wing on an R8, for the same reasons mentioned above. When I told him it was all stock, he looked like a deer in the headlights.
I still think it looks a little afterthought-ish. I am 100% with the guys who feel the gen 1 looks best with uninterrupted lines.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The GT OEM CF wing weighs less than the dynamic spoiler and mechanism. That's why there is no dynamic spoiler on the Superleggera GT's.

I have no intention to. I was trying to point out that my bone-stock wing looks very at-home on mine. One of the reasons I got a GT, is because it has all the aero stuff and weight savings others have done to theirs, but it's all stock. I actually had a guy tell me one time that he didn't like it and I shouldn't have put a wing on an R8, for the same reasons mentioned above. When I told him it was all stock, he looked like a deer in the headlights.

I'm quite familiar with the GT so I know what it has and your car looks perfect the way it is as I have said and never did I make a comment about removal of any spoilers. it was a general statement when I said that the gen 1 doesn't need it but obviously if its factory then let it be. the way I look at things, people have different tastes so there will be different setups but the most important thing is that the owner is happy with his baby. he could have ebay spoilers and 23" dub wheels but if that person likes it then good for him. just a general statement and not intended for you from the get go...

·
Registered
111 Posts
What could look better than this rear end? it's perfection IMHO :)

View attachment 237814

dave...I love your car. I've always been a fan of euro spec cars especially right hand drives. I'm digging the euro plate bracket...obviously yours is euro. I'm not liking our US plates since it's short and we obviously have a bulky plastic bracket on ours.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Unless a wing is original fit, I would avoid disrupting the lines of the Gen 1. Besides, a fixed wing will only add weight, and the car already has a moveable wing.
I can see both thoughts on the matter.
The Gen1 lines are beautiful. Both wingless, with the GT/Plus wing, and with and LMS style wing.

The choice is yours. Make the car yours. Don’t worry about what others think.

As far as the weight goes, it depends on how you do it. If you do it right, and remove the rear spoiler and take the wing mechanism out, and replace with the fixed rear GT/LMS/Plus base, with the wing, then it’s likely lighter, and with more downforce.

The APR wings weigh next to nothing.

Just make the car your own.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
dave...I love your car. I've always been a fan of euro spec cars especially right hand drives. I'm digging the euro plate bracket...obviously yours is euro. I'm not liking our US plates since it's short and we obviously have a bulky plastic bracket on ours.
Thank you for theses kind words, yes it's euro spec. and imported to Brasil direct, but there is no bracket for the plate ! it's stuck on with double sided tape would you believe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you for theses kind words, yes it's euro spec. and imported to Brasil direct, but there is no bracket for the plate ! it's stuck on with double sided tape would you believe.

oh double sided tape? that's what I do here in the US to install my euro plates:).

·
Registered
245 Posts
For me it's a question of purpose: I'm in the camp of form following function, so that a wing intended to provide additional downforce and resulting stability is preferable to one designed for aesthetic value only. For example, I find it annoying when a car designer adds details that are not functional, such as the three small air inlets beneath the frunk in the gen 3 R8, which are meant to recall the legendary Quattro car's cooling ducts, but are totally "fake". That said, I can appreciate that the McLaren Senna, while totally functional, is considered by many as plain ugly.

Clearly, the magic happens when you get both: form AND function. In my case, I added an APR wing which is questionable aesthetically to some/many, yet very functional on track by providing increased stability beyond the factory retractable spoiler. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal taste, but I tend to be more accepting of questionable details added to fulfill an actual purpose Vs those that are there only for looks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think our cars look way better , more aggressive with rear spoiler. Looks kind of bland / naked without one . I'm a big fan of the factory CF plus wing , it's a perfect height and design

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Wing or not to-Wing...

Honestly, it's one of those things that's going to be highly personal. From a pure functional standpoint, anyone taking the car regularly to the track, especially if they're doing anything competitively with it, should be prioritizing safety and performance. In those cases, I think "Wing" becomes the answer pretty quickly... assuming it's actually properly designed and setup to provide performance benefits.

Now, on the aesthetics side, it's clearly very subjective. I'm in the camp of clean, simple lines. So, I've never been lured to add additional aero parts to any car. In fact, I prefer the clean, simpler design of the V8 sideblade and side skirts over the V10's more busy designs. I can go into all the reasons why, but they're just personal preferences at the end of the day. Some design language speaks to some but not others - it's really that simple. At the end of the day, it also keeps the world interesting!

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but does the car have downforce/high speed stability issues?
No, there's not an issue - it just comes down to whether someone is looking for increased downforce that's going to benefit the car's grip around corners, for example.

On the flip side, however, I DO believe the R8 would be unstable without some form of additional downforce - either the retractable spoiler or a fixed wing. The manual essentially warns not to exceed 87mph (seems very specific!) if the rear spoiler has malfunctioned and won't deploy. Perhaps they're overly sensitive given the deaths that occurred with the Mark-1 TT - I believe a spoiler was added as part of the "fix" there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts