Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now in a month or so we will need to start stating what options we want to have, for resale value there is some items which you will definatly need in my opinon.

Sat Nav
Magnetic suspension will definatly need to be included.

I didnt see any iPod option in the spec sheet so was a little dissapointed, but what i was going to ask was things like all leather dash and electric seats.

Now in practise i have never put leather on the dash as i dont think its one of those important things plue it wont add anything in resale, but do you guys belive it should be there.

And electric seats?? now ok i have had BMW's which them in and they are good, but my last two TT's are manual and to be honest never had an issue.

Now this being a sports car (weight its greatest enemy) is it worth spec'ing the car up with heavy electric gismos, or be a pureist and had manual seats as so not to add any extra weight.

just wanted to know what you think?

·
Registered
840 Posts
The top list is ... imho ... what anyone ordering a new R8 would be well advised to tick in the optional extras list. The second and third lists are my own thoughts and feelings for ordering my R8. The last list is what I'd likely add if finances were good when ordering, or as I called it ... 'If I'd won the lottery'.

Must have
Navigation Plus Sat Nav
Audi Magnetic Ride
Heated Seats
Bluetooth Phone Preparation

Wish list
Cruise Control
Alcantra Roof Lining
Six CD Changer
Extended Leather Package
Coloured Stitching For Extended Leather
Carbon Sigma Inlays ... if Extended Leather Package is not picked

Why not I've won the lottery
Stainless Steel Pedals
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Homelink (garage door opener)
Deletion of model and engine on rear of car
Engine Cover in Carbon Sigma
Tyre pressure monitoring system

I've expanded on the above with my own thoughts and views and will post them in another post after this.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm disappointed that the seats aren't heated as standard, a car of this class and price really should have heated seats as standard ... especially as there are only two to be heated rather than four in most Audis.

I'm not sure about the extended leather package for dashboard and monoposto. The diagram in the internal info pack is not great, so I'd want more details on this before committing, which I am kind of 60/40 in favour of with the current information ... needless to say if I go for this option I'd more than likely have the coloured stitching option that can be added ... if the colourings are acceptable. However, this option would have to be considered a luxury option as it really won't add very much to the resale value of the car.

I've always liked a darker roof lining on my cars and since I've decided to specify my own cars very carefully the last couple of times I will be considering the Alcantra roof lining, especially if it is available in a nice dark grey. Again, this option ... like the extended leather pack ... is pretty much a luxury option ... but I think this one will be finding it's way onto my list of optional extras.

Carbon inlays. If the extended leather package option isn't picked, I think this will more than likely find it's way onto my list of 'would be nice' options. Like many options it won't add much, if anything, to the resale value ... although if it's as well done as the carbon in the RS4 (which you have to expect to be the case) ... if I don't go for the leather, I will go for this option.

If the standard seats are the same as those in the RS4, then it will be standard seats for me ... the electric ones would need to be just as supportive to even consider them. Plus as Ttej has pointed out, they’d likely add a fair bit of weight!

I like the sound of the stainless steel pedals although, until I can see what the standard pedals will be, I can't say if this will be on either of my options lists, i.e. ‘must have’, or ‘would be nice’.

The Bang & Olufsen Sound System option might have a noticeable effect on keeping the resale value up, although I doubt that it will mean much more than an extra £100 to £200 ... ish ... added to the resale value. So, whilst it might help keep the price up ... a little ... I think a lot will depend on how much the option will be. Also, bearing in mind as this is one of the, if not THE, most driver oriented car from Audi and promises to be an hugely entertaining drive, both in performance terms of both speed and grip wise, but also in terms of the sound of the car when driving, that engine will provide a fabulous soundtrack of it's own when you want it to. So, will you want to spend £1,200 on a lovely sound system, or accept the more than adequate standard system and not really notice the difference in sound quality anyway when you are enjoying the engines ability?

TTej is quite right, there’s a disappointing lack of any mention if iPod compatability. However, as in many new Audis with Navigation Plus there are two MMC/SD memory card slots behind the screen. You can put plenty of MP3 tracks onto these and use them pretty much like you would an iPod via the same controls used to operate the CD, radio, etc. Not quite the same as an iPod connection, but very handy if you can copy MP3s to MMC/SD memory cards.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul is right there will be two mmc/sd slots but id prefer my ipod in the glove box, cd changer is dead as i dont want cds all in my car, and i know Audi have some new ipod sync software so it displays in the DIS. Hope they use it here.

And i forgot bluetooth, that will be a must. i dont belive you should buy a car without for resale but more importantly safety.

I dont think ill go for the electris seats, cant see the point. Heated seats is a question, ive had them in my last 3 cars but hardly ever used them, but they were std. I think these should be std esp in colder climateslike the UK.

The roof lining is gorgeous but luxury option and the carbon around the engine bay, that should be std too.

I want red calipers, i know they are more in your face but this is not a subtle car, i dont want black calipers and either audi is going to paint them or i will. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has there been any mention of a ceramic brake option? Although I dont know if it is relly necessary, because I am assuming that the R8 will be outfitted with the same brakes as the Gallardo.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has there been any mention of a ceramic brake option? Although I dont know if it is relly necessary, because I am assuming that the R8 will be outfitted with the same brakes as the Gallardo.
there is a brouchure on this forum, it doesnt mention ceramics as std or an option, i dont think it will need them, probably see them on the v10.

·
Registered
840 Posts
the r8 runs more power than an rs4
Actually they both run the same power ... although the R8 will have a slight power to weight ratio over the RS4 ... albeit slight.

The brakes on the RS4 are awesome ... like most aspects of the cars performance items ... but I was half expecting to see ceramic brakes as an option on the R8.

TTej could have hit the nail on the head when he suggests that ceramic brakes may appear as an option on the V10 powered model in 2008.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There is no mention of the 'Black Optic Pack' that I had on my RS4 ... this gives you a polished black trim round the front grill instead of a chrome one ... it deletes the silver trim round the side windows and replaces it with black trim instead ... it also gives you the dark headlining (roof lining to you and I) ... and instead of shiney chrome exhaust pipes you get very dark grey ones instead ... with colour coded Daytona Grey wing mirrors instead of those blingy silver ones that come as standard.

The guys at the dealership hadn't seen one with the black optioc pack and were really impressed with the look of the car ... I think it works really well and was hoping that it would also be an option on teh R8 ... I'm thinking either Daytona Grey again for the R8 or Phantom Black ... but either of these colours would work best with something like the black optic pack being available for the R8 ... imho

I'll try and take a couple of shots of the RS4 so you can see the difference for yourselves. I'm sure there are plenty of RS4 shots of ones without the black optic pack, so you'll be able to weigh up whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds interesting Paul, for me its gonna have to be the Phantom black too and that black optics sounds good although on the R8 we have body coloured mirrors. but deleting the chome might be a nice touch.

Love to see some pics of you car, at the mo i have a Black TT. Love dark cars, although a white R8 sounds interesting.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sounds interesting Paul, for me its gonna have to be the Phantom black too and that black optics sounds good although on the R8 we have body coloured mirrors. but deleting the chome might be a nice touch.

Love to see some pics of you car, at the mo i have a Black TT. Love dark cars, although a white R8 sounds interesting.
TTej ... and anyone else who feels like having a look ... I've managed to take some quick snaps of the RS4 during a dry spell when I was at home and remembered this thread and discussion of the 'Black Optic Pack' ... I'm sure there are plenty of shots from all angles on the net for seeing the difference between having it ... and not having it ... as an option.

Please escuse the state of the wheels ... just not had chance to get out and clean it ... I hope to have this rectified soon!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Picture from the right rear ... this shows the dark exhaust pipes and the colour coded strip along the boot ... normally both these are chromed ... you can also see the chrome trim around the side windows has been removed ... and replaced with black trim.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Picture from the front near side ... this shows the black grille which replaces the chrome item which is the standrad fit item ... the side windows are also visible again showing the black finish instead of the normal chrome/silver standard fit trim.

·
Registered
840 Posts
This picture taken from head on shows the black grille and colour coded mirrors off rather nicely I think.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Another head on shot which I think shows off the 'menicing' look of the RS4 ... I think the black optic pack adds to this 'menicing' look quite nicely!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just put a deposit on an r8. options for me must include the special bucket seat offered, led lights all around, complete carbon fiber upgrade, upgrade to the sounds system, the magentic suspention system, oh and the 19inch rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
i just put a deposit on an r8.
Congratulations ... have they told you when you'll be going back to specify the options :confused: ... or maybe more importantly, have they told you when you would be likely to get the car :confused:
options for me must include the special bucket seat offered,
Not sure what the difference between the bucket seats and the RS4 seats is ... maybe they are the same seat ... but I can testify that the RS4 seats are excellent ... if the RS4 style seats are standard ... I'll probably leave the 'bucket seats' option un-ticked ... however I'd have to be able to at least have a look at and preferably put my backside into a 'bucket seat' before making a final decision :)
led lights all around,
You might have a bit of a wait ... I think I remember seeing somewhere that full LED front lights would not be available until some time in 2008 :(
complete carbon fiber upgrade,
This may get my thumbs up too ... I'll not be deciding between 'carbon fibre trim' or the 'extended leather pack' until I can get a better look at exactly what each would mean inside the cabin.
upgrade to the sounds system,
Not sure about this one ... although it is apparently an awesome system ... I think a fair part of the decision might get made by the cost of having this option.
the magentic suspention system,
Oh yes, I think this will be a must for pretty much every order ... if ordered by an individual as opposed to a company and therefore budget orientated order.
oh and the 19inch rims.
If you're in the UK these will be standard :) ... if you live elsewhere in the world they might be a no cost option ... although I wouldn't be prepared to put money on that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Paul
Many thanks for the 'black optic' pics. The car looks great. I have a standard;) RS4 in Daytona Grey. I will post some pics for comparison if it ever stops raining in Scotland.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not convinced about the need for upgraded audio system. I never use it in the RS4. Just wind down the windows and listen to the glorious music of that engine :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm not convinced about the need for upgraded audio system. I never use it in the RS4. Just wind down the windows and listen to the glorious music of that engine :D
Mmmm ... it's quite a soundtrack isn't it ... and if you're ever in need of more bass ... just press that little button on the steering wheel ... :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts