Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does anyone consider to be must have options?

Is the Sat Nav worth having? Does the module offer anything more than navigation?(i.e. over the standard infotainment package) I have had it in my last three cars and it is useful on occasion but to be truthful I rarely use it. Can it be retro fitted?

Magnetic Ride anyone?

Manual or R-Tronic?

·
Registered
274 Posts
must have option = r-tronic for me!

What does anyone consider to be must have options?

Is the Sat Nav worth having? Does the module offer anything more than navigation?(i.e. over the standard infotainment package) I have had it in my last three cars and it is useful on occasion but to be truthful I rarely use it. Can it be retro fitted?

Magnetic Ride anyone?

Manual or R-Tronic?

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Two must options are IMHO:
-Magnetic Ride(a true must!)
-19" Wheels(option in Continental Europe, NOT in UK)

Everything else, including R-Tronic is really subjective choice IMO.

Do not forget that R-Tronic is updated version of Gallardo's e-gear. If you have driving experience with e-gear(specially, latest version in 520hp Gallardo) and you like it then go for it! Otherwise, try to take test drive in any new Gallardo with e-gear...

My personal choice is the manual. Why? I spoke with some quattro Gmbh guys and they told me that for normal use(even spirited driving) manual version is more then enough.

Do not forget one other thing-for the price of R-Tronic you will be able to get optional Ceramic Brakes(Spring 2007)...

And here is an interesting article by Georg Kacher:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sports/0612_2008_audi_r8/

·
Registered
274 Posts
paddle shifters, not the joystick, made the r-tronic the choice for me...
i do understand the desire to have a stick, but my choice is the paddles.
good article, btw-

got pics of the 19 vs 18s??

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard mention of an R8 configurator at the dealer - what is this? I am afraid I just picked up the R8 presentaion ordering pack and did not enquire further.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sat NAV cannot be retofitted. It is integrated into the system at manufacture. It is the DVD version, offering all of western Europe on one DVD map.

Is this necessary ? It's up to you. Personally, I use sat nav all the time on the RS4.

Magnetic ride is a relatively cheap option. Having tried it on an Audi track day last month (on a TT), it is incredible, and will be on my "must have" list.

I don't like auto boxes, preferring full driver control, so mine's a manual

·
Registered
840 Posts
My 'must have' options are:
Audi Magnetic Ride
Sat Nav Plus
GSM Phone Prep
Acoustic Parking
Auto Dimming Mirrors​
My full list of options is in ... this thread ...

·
Registered
840 Posts
... ... ...
Is the Sat Nav worth having? ... ... ...
... ... ...
Personally ... I wouldn't order a new car without a decent Sat Nav system ... and Audi's Sat Nav Plus is ... imho ... very easy to use ... not to mention ... one of the best out there ... again imho.

Something that a lot of people overlook when they spec a car is ... the resale value ... whilst optional extras only retain around 5% to 10% of their value when calculating the resale value of a car ... they do make the car sell more easily and nearer the asking price.

To illustrate my point a little further ... imagine you do not buy your R8 now ... for some reason you cannot go through with the order ... in two years time you are able to go out and buy a used R8 ... you want a manual and you want it in Phantom Black with Carbon Sigma everywhere possible ... there are only two of them available both with extended leather both with black interiors ... in fact they are idential and tick all the boxes on your requirement ... except for the point that one has Sat Nav Plus (something you have not put down as a requirement) and one does not ... the one with Sat Nav Plus has 15,000 miles whereas the one without Sat Nav Plus has only done 14,500 miles ... they both have full dealership servicing and are both in excellent condition throughout ... the price of both of them is the same at £70,000 ... which one would you buy ... :confused:

Obviously all the above is all just hyperthetical ... but I suspect most people would go for the one that had the £1,800 optional Sat Nav Plus system in it ... I know I would.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Paul,

You are dead right, I sold my M3 convertible in less than 24 hours, if I did not have satnav I could have been waiting weeks if not months - beacause 75% of all second hand M3's have satnav at virtually no extra cost.

The moral ..... choose your spec carefully if you you want to enhance the residual values. Low spec - low interest!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree fully with you regarding Navi!
BTW, my dealer told me that as far as he knows almost 90% of all ordered R8s are in Daytona Grey, Ice Silver and Phantom Black colors. All other colors will be(at least in first production year) pretty rare...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tyre pressure monitoring system is standard. B&O sound system is a must, unless you are a true sportscar purist(or you simply do not like listen to the music in your car. For some purists R8 engine note is the only right music. Hmm... They could be right!)...
Acoustic Parking? They are on my order. If you will park your R8 in public garages few times a week then you will need them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry Kreso,

Tyre pressure monitoring is not standard !

A "tyre moblity system" is standard. What a name ! It is simply a can of foam to get a punctured tyre inflated and sealed for temporary use.

The pressure monitoring system has sensors inside each wheel rim, sending a radio signal to sensors in the wheel arches. This gives a pressure read out in the centre consol, and gives a warning if it drops below a preset pressure, indicating the tyre concerned.

I don't have a price list to hand, but a figure of GBP £270 comes to mind.

·
Registered
647 Posts
R8 England,

Sorry but, I was(almost) right!

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is NOT standard ONLY on UK market! On every other European markets IT IS STANDARD. But, some other items are not like 19" wheels that you guys in UK get for free. Also 90L tank is no-cost option on other markets.

Here is standard equipment in Germany(same as Croatia):

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/r8/ausstattung.html

On the top of the list is TPMS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts