Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last post was about 2020 pricing, but after continued searching, I’m not really having much luck with anything under $190k anyway and or a color I want, I can of course wrap, but how does that look in person compared to paint?

So my questionwould be:

How long are people actually experiencing or expecting on 2022 orders?

what about discounts on MSRP or freebies? What was given? What can be actually asked for?

What about the chances to find a Solar Orange 🍊 performance Quattro Coupe?

how does payment work? I’m paying cash, and is it just a deposit normally upfront and rest on delivery?Depending on timeframe, this might be a better option as I can avoid capital gains to some extent if I can wait.

I haven’t ordered an R8 before, what’s the experience like? How much can you actually customize by ordering in person, as far as interior goes?

Any questions I maybe am missing that some of you have wondered when ordering?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
My last post was about 2020 pricing, but after continued searching, I’m not really having much luck with anything under $190k anyway and or a color I want, I can of course wrap, but how does that look in person compared to paint?

So my questionwould be:

what about discounts on MSRP or freebies? What was given? What can be actually asked for?

how does payment work? I’m paying cash, and is it just a deposit normally upfront and rest on delivery?Depending on timeframe, this might be a better option as I can avoid capital gains to some extent if I can wait.

I haven’t ordered an R8 before, what’s the experience like? How much can you actually customize by ordering in person, as far as interior goes?

thanks in advance
Wow - a lot of stuff, but as an Audi Sport Ambassador at a dealer, I'll try to help.

R8s are moving better than other car lines mostly because the car is one of Audi's simplest from an electronics perspective and is essentially hand-built from parts mostly made by Audi themselves - and lastly, since it IS their halo car. What that usually means for an actual allocation is about 14-24 weeks right now. Shorter for simpler longer for more complex or Audi Exclusive builds (such as Solar Orange paint).

Discounts vary all over depending on the dealer but I'd say now with supplies everywhere so tight, discounts on R8 will probably be slowing rather than growing as actual allocations are getting more not less scarce. BUT - ALWAYS ASK - the worse that can happen is you get a no or none for an answer. Your best change is previous Audi purchase history at that dealer - their own loyal customers usually get a decent break, but don't expect like 10 or 15% - NOT very likely as dealer margin is nowhere near those numbers unless you're an Audi VIP (if you are you already know this).

Chances of finding a Solar Orange car available for you is very unlikely - requires a search (that I did and cannot see one anywhere). You'd have to order one if you can/could.

Payments design are by the dealer. We take deposits (~$1500) upon confirmed (actual Factory allocation) orders - usually a bit more for Audi Exclusive orders (~$2500) - many dealers want more. Balance on delivery...

Should be a great experience, depends on the Dealer AND the ABS and even yourself. As to flexibility on ordering, surprisingly flexible as long as you have the money, and the wish is actually attainable.

Best of luck - PM me if you'd like to know more - I am NOT a salesperson - just a passionate Audi fan.

Reactions: Link

·
Registered
746 Posts
basically expect to get thrown in some driving gloves for free :)

i hope you order one though, last chance to get one new!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - a lot of stuff, but as an Audi Sport Ambassador at a dealer, I'll try to help.

R8s are moving better than other car lines mostly because the car is one of Audi's simplest from an electronics perspective and is essentially hand-built from parts mostly made by Audi themselves - and lastly, since it IS their halo car. What that usually means for an actual allocation is about 14-24 weeks right now. Shorter for simpler longer for more complex or Audi Exclusive builds (such as Solar Orange paint).

Discounts vary all over depending on the dealer but I'd say now with supplies everywhere so tight, discounts on R8 will probably be slowing rather than growing as actual allocations are getting more not less scarce. BUT - ALWAYS ASK - the worse that can happen is you get a no or none for an answer. Your best change is previous Audi purchase history at that dealer - their own loyal customers usually get a decent break, but don't expect like 10 or 15% - NOT very likely as dealer margin is nowhere near those numbers unless you're an Audi VIP (if you are you already know this).

Chances of finding a Solar Orange car available for you is very unlikely - requires a search (that I did and cannot see one anywhere). You'd have to order one if you can/could.

Payments design are by the dealer. We take deposits (~$1500) upon confirmed (actual Factory allocation) orders - usually a bit more for Audi Exclusive orders (~$2500) - many dealers want more. Balance on delivery...

Should be a great experience, depends on the Dealer AND the ABS and even yourself. As to flexibility on ordering, surprisingly flexible as long as you have the money, and the wish is actually attainable.

Best of luck - PM me if you'd like to know more - I am NOT a salesperson - just a passionate Audi fan.
Thanks for the honest thoughts here, I can tell they come from an Enthusiast and not a salesman.

Sounds like no Solar Orange, used or the like around, and that makes it rare. That's probably one thing that will sway me the most to ordering as this may or may not be the last year of the R8's.

I was thinking more along the lines of 5-7% from my research, but I'd honestly be happy with things like Audi Care, Car cover and mats, wonder how doable that is on top of say 5% haha. I'm a haggler, I'm in sales myself and get it daily, it's time for me to be on that side.

$2,500 deposit sounds doable, and reasonable, thanks for that insight there.

The one thing that makes me leery is the wait time, as it sounds like its 3 months+ just for an allocation possibly? Then build time, ship time, and delivery time to dealer. I have owned several Audi's in the past, including the last S4 I bought from this same dealer, so I wonder if that will help with possible discount as you mentioned and maybe even allocation?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basically expect to get thrown in some driving gloves for free :)

i hope you order one though, last chance to get one new!
LOL, that made me laugh pretty good, keep your gloves, I usually have those type of things custom made....

All kidding aside, you are right, as this may be the last time we get a new R8.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With, what seems like no previous Audi buys, high expectations for discount/chachkies, get used to seeing this on the other side of the negotiating table At dealer.
Maybe you haven't read what I said, I have ordered and serviced past Audi's at this dealer I am considering using.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Definitely order new if you can - you'll get exactly what you want for not much more (in this market).

When I ordered, I had to provide a $5k deposit - bank check on delivery for the balance. I'm in an area with strong demand for high-end cars, so the dealer wasn't too concerned about "making a deal." They'd have no problem filling their allocations with people paying sticker. I expect most dealers in this market are now in that position. I got a small discount but nothing substantial. I was in a similar position as buyers now - it was the last model year for Gen-1, and I didn't want a Gen-2. But, at least back then, there was going to BE a next generation, which eliminated some of the buyer competition - clearly that's not the case now... last chance to buy an R8 new!

I can't speak for the timeline now - clearly things are very unusual these days. But "normal" wait times back then were a few months, similar to other cars I had ordered. That said, I waited 6 months this year for a MB I had ordered. Initial estimates were around 4 months. With the R8, I got lucky. I put in my order and a few weeks later, I was contacted by the dealer - a dealer in another state had an order on the way with my exact same spec and the buyer had backed out. So, I was able to assume that order (which arrived much sooner), and I'm sure my dealer had no problem repurposing my allocation with them. Point being, even with a long wait time, sometimes you get an unexpected surprise in your favor.

As I said, I think you'll be happiest ordering new and getting exactly what you want... including the color and whatever else you choose to option. Best of luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely order new if you can - you'll get exactly what you want for not much more (in this market).

When I ordered, I had to provide a $5k deposit - bank check on delivery for the balance. I'm in an area with strong demand for high-end cars, so the dealer wasn't too concerned about "making a deal." They'd have no problem filling their allocations with people paying sticker. I expect most dealers in this market are now in that position. I got a small discount but nothing substantial. I was in a similar position as buyers now - it was the last model year for Gen-1, and I didn't want a Gen-2. But, at least back then, there was going to BE a next generation, which eliminated some of the buyer competition - clearly that's not the case now... last chance to buy an R8 new!

I can't speak for the timeline now - clearly things are very unusual these days. But "normal" wait times back then were a few months, similar to other cars I had ordered. That said, I waited 6 months this year for a MB I had ordered. Initial estimates were around 4 months. With the R8, I got lucky. I put in my order and a few weeks later, I was contacted by the dealer - a dealer in another state had an order on the way with my exact same spec and the buyer had backed out. So, I was able to assume that order (which arrived much sooner), and I'm sure my dealer had no problem repurposing my allocation with them. Point being, even with a long wait time, sometimes you get an unexpected surprise in your favor.

As I said, I think you'll be happiest ordering new and getting exactly what you want... including the color and whatever else you choose to option. Best of luck!
I guess I am lucky that R8's aren't in high demand here, the one they have on the lot even is a consignment.
I keep hearing 3-6 months from others as well, as it seems to be a luck thing as far as maybe getting an allocation much sooner. The dealer that contacted you from out of state, did he do that to fill his allocation or how did he know? I mean did the other dealer lose their sale in a way or how did that work out? It would be cool to have that happen as well to get it sooner. Sounds like your dealer can just use their allocation for someone else anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Dealers that have/had allocations HAVE to fill them or loose them by a deadline. That usually means they WILL build one when they have an allocation and have some time (a week to as much as 10) to make changes - once Frozen though their only choice is to trade it. I also do trades and 2 months ago was doing 3-4 a week - I have so far in Sept. done one - and it was cancelled by the other dealer within less than 6 hours of agreement... THAT's the NEW NORMAL. We usually have 150 cars in stock - we have 12 - and THAT is a lot - they'll be gone by the weekend, and we'll be hoping for some (looks like about 5) next week -

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealers that have/had allocations HAVE to fill them or loose them by a deadline. That usually means they WILL build one when they have an allocation and have some time (a week to as much as 10) to make changes - once Frozen though their only choice is to trade it. I also do trades and 2 months ago was doing 3-4 a week - I have so far in Sept. done one - and it was cancelled by the other dealer within less than 6 hours of agreement... THAT's the NEW NORMAL. We usually have 150 cars in stock - we have 12 - and THAT is a lot - they'll be gone by the weekend, and we'll be hoping for some (looks like about 5) next week -
Good info to have, I’ll make sure to get into my dealer next week and have a chat and possibly just order then. Need to sit down with the wife to make sure she can live with a ORANGE car haha. Otherwise the other color of choice for me in Avocado Green. This is some helpful info, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Take a look at Samoa Orange while you're at it - or even Aventurine to round out the orange options - btw a nice color IS out there : Oak Green Metallic ...

Here's a Gen 1 pic of it ...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
161 Posts
THAT is a **** sharp color.
I do, however, have a soft spot for arancio borialis, this was mine a few years back. ‘06 6 speed.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Audi could PTS that probably ...

·
Registered
2 Posts

So my questionwould be:

thanks in advance
I always get a kick when people considering the purchase of an expensive car (or any car) are concerned about getting a deal or a price break. In my experience the best thing to achieve with a dealer when buying a car is their appreciation of you when you come through that door knowing that you are not going to haggle with them over price. I think you’ll find that if you stay with the same salesman over time the deals will come by themselves because they will have learned that you deserve it.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
I guess I am lucky that R8's aren't in high demand here, the one they have on the lot even is a consignment.
I keep hearing 3-6 months from others as well, as it seems to be a luck thing as far as maybe getting an allocation much sooner. The dealer that contacted you from out of state, did he do that to fill his allocation or how did he know? I mean did the other dealer lose their sale in a way or how did that work out? It would be cool to have that happen as well to get it sooner. Sounds like your dealer can just use their allocation for someone else anyway?
In my case it was just pure luck. An out of state dealer had the exact build of my order coming in, but their buyer had backed out. My dealer had to make a deal with them (presumably a trade) - I was never contacted by the other dealer nor had to get "in the middle" of any of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just learned my dealer only requires a $500 deposit, seems like nothing if they end up getting stuck with a solar orange R8?

6 months or more wait time, so on par with what you guys are saying as well, but they said they aren’t a registered dealer and don’t get any allocations…

I just like deals, whatever I save I get to blow on say other junk I don’t need. I’ve been in sales along time, so I don’t mind it, can be fun, but the stress isn’t there because I don’t have to have he savings either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just learned my dealer only requires a $500 deposit, seems like nothing if they end up getting stuck with a solar orange R8?

6 months or more wait time, so on par with what you guys are saying as well, but they said they aren’t a registered dealer and don’t get any allocations…

I just like deals, whatever I save I get to blow on say other junk I don’t need. I’ve been in sales along time, so I don’t mind it, can be fun, but the stress isn’t there because I don’t have to have he savings either.
Interesting as I've never heard of 'registered' dealers. I presume they're getting the car as a sale or trade from an actual Audi dealer or do you know?

I know mine took a $10K deposit - which seems to be common - and back in May, it was a pretty sure bet I'd get an allocation. Ordered May 14, rec'd 1st week Sept.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts

So is this not an authorized Audi dealership? How does that work?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts