Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker, but first time to start a new post here.

I visited Audi of North Austin yesterday to get details about ordering a one-of-one 2022 R8 AWD Performance and this is what I learned:

1. The 2022 R order guides aren't available yet.
  2. The German manufacturing facility is shutting down for at least a month due to the chip shortages.
  3. Once the order guides have been received by the dealership, they'll forward onto me to start making decisions and a $5,000 non-refundable deposit will need to be made to place the order. Rest is due at signing.
  4. After an order is placed, it takes about 3 to 4 months to arrive. Add another month to 6 weeks for interior customizations (which I do plan on doing). Add another 4 weeks if a non-standard paint color is selected (which I don't plan on doing/Daytona Gray Pearl). Add more months to that due to the chip shortage/plant closure/pandemic issues. So, realistically, I'd be looking at December or Q1 of next year.
Armed with the knowledge above I have some questions for you all in-the-know. :)

1. In your experience, does the above seem accurate to you?
  2. I saw another thread here that mentioned that they've already ordered a 2022, but they all seemed to mention that they used the 2021 order guide to do so. This is really confusing to me because some design changes and options may change from the 2021 to 2022 model years.
  3. There's a LOT of rumor that 2022 will be the last year of the R8, but the dealership didn't seem at all worried about this. They gave no indication that the manufacturing plant is trying to manage inventory of R8 parts or anything. They made it sound straight forward. Order the R8 and it arrives some months later. But this post from @RNLabas scared me a whole lot! Does this mean that I could order a 2022 and it just keep getting pushed back into oblivion and it never arrive?
  4. Any other tips you could provide a newbie planning to spend nearly a quarter million dollars on a new car so I can manage my expectations appropriately?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should be very flexible about expectations regarding when you will receive the car. With all the supply issues and Covid, you could be waiting a year. As long as you are happy with that there are little downsides to owning this magnificent and dying breed of car. You will love it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I went to place an order for my car, terms were similar but timing quoted was "between 6 and 12 months". I opted to have them search inventory nationwide and incoming and set a car aside for me. You can negotiate on cars in inventory !

Background with other OEM, I had an Infiniti made to order which took 9 weeks and a Chevy truck which took 8 weeks. Both had major changes vs common spec and some unique items. Work was done at factory not by an aftermarket or dealer installed parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be very flexible about expectations regarding when you will receive the car. With all the supply issues and Covid, you could be waiting a year. As long as you are happy with that there are little downsides to owning this magnificent and dying breed of car. You will love it!
Yeah, I don't expect it to be fast. I'm actually good with a December or Q1 delivery time frame.

When I went to place an order for my car, terms were similar but timing quoted was "between 6 and 12 months". I opted to have them search inventory nationwide and incoming and set a car aside for me. You can negotiate on cars in inventory !
Are you inferring that I won't be able to negotiate on a one-of-one ordered? I mean, one would think they wouldn't mind discounting so they get the sell with very little hassle. Don't have to pay inventory/lot taxes, etc. Pure profit for barely having to lift a finger. I will definitely configure the car and then shop it around to see if any particular dealership would be willing to discount. I've heard 5% off MSPR is pretty standard. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2020 Suzuka Gray Coupe
118 Posts
Yeah, I don't expect it to be fast. I'm actually good with a December or Q1 delivery time frame.

Are you inferring that I won't be able to negotiate on a one-of-one ordered? I mean, one would think they wouldn't mind discounting so they get the sell with very little hassle. Don't have to pay inventory/lot taxes, etc. Pure profit for barely having to lift a finger. I will definitely configure the car and then shop it around to see if any particular dealership would be willing to discount. I've heard 5% off MSPR is pretty standard. Am I wrong?
I've heard of 8% off MSRP on ordering being offered. Either way, best of luck to you and eventually getting your hands on this beautiful beast!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question - when you say one of one, do you mean you'll just be speccing the car to your liking?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question - when you say one of one, do you mean you'll just be speccing the car to your liking?
That's correct. It's my understanding that as long as I spec it out to a point that no other person has ordered one just like it, it will get a one-of-one status on the paperwork and there may even be some badging options.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There was a minimal "discount" when I tried. However, when I bought from inventory the difference was significant (I got a good discount, extended maintenance/warranty contract, full xPel, free delivery). YMMV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all,

Long time lurker, but first time to start a new post here.

I visited Audi of North Austin yesterday to get details about ordering a one-of-one 2022 R8 AWD Performance and this is what I learned:

1. The 2022 R order guides aren't available yet.
  2. The German manufacturing facility is shutting down for at least a month due to the chip shortages.
  3. Once the order guides have been received by the dealership, they'll forward onto me to start making decisions and a $5,000 non-refundable deposit will need to be made to place the order. Rest is due at signing.
  4. After an order is placed, it takes about 3 to 4 months to arrive. Add another month to 6 weeks for interior customizations (which I do plan on doing). Add another 4 weeks if a non-standard paint color is selected (which I don't plan on doing/Daytona Gray Pearl). Add more months to that due to the chip shortage/plant closure/pandemic issues. So, realistically, I'd be looking at December or Q1 of next year.
Armed with the knowledge above I have some questions for you all in-the-know. :)

1. In your experience, does the above seem accurate to you?
  2. I saw another thread here that mentioned that they've already ordered a 2022, but they all seemed to mention that they used the 2021 order guide to do so. This is really confusing to me because some design changes and options may change from the 2021 to 2022 model years.
  3. There's a LOT of rumor that 2022 will be the last year of the R8, but the dealership didn't seem at all worried about this. They gave no indication that the manufacturing plant is trying to manage inventory of R8 parts or anything. They made it sound straight forward. Order the R8 and it arrives some months later. But this post from @RNLabas scared me a whole lot! Does this mean that I could order a 2022 and it just keep getting pushed back into oblivion and it never arrive?
  4. Any other tips you could provide a newbie planning to spend nearly a quarter million dollars on a new car so I can manage my expectations appropriately?

2022 order guides are absolutely available and I'm not certain why they told you otherwise. The caveat is only base pricing is out at the moment and the dealers don't have the option pricing on the 2022 order guides I saw 2 weeks ago. Perhaps they don't want to provide you a blank order guide? Regardless, it's the same options. If your local dealer doesn't have the guide -or isn't willing to provide them- call another dealer who is more willing to work with you.

You can most definitely place and order for a 2022 and get a commission number now. It will simply state 'order waitlist'. Allocations go out to dealers mid-June. The timing you state is typical. Port release for the 2022s is 'Fall of 2021'. My dealer tells me November delivery for orders placed now. Another factor is how soon your dealer gets an allocation, how many orders are ahead of yours as well as production order.

There's always the potential for delays but a 2022 will definitely be made. I'd get an order in now so you can secure an allocation. Given the luxury car market, I'd hate to wait too long and miss the opportunity to order exactly what I want.

IMO, a 2023 model is probably 50/50 at best given the upcoming emissions regulations in Europe in 2025.

My personal advice is to place that order now for the peace of mind you'll get what you want. Know that you're in for a wait but it will be worth it. Pre-covid, I had an Audi ordered the day allocations opened up and still waited 4 full months. And finally, shop around! See what deals you can work out - sometimes a few extra % off MSRP could easily pay for transport from a far away dealer. There are deals out there. Good luck!

Reactions: Ucla2525

·
Registered
27 Posts
Couple of things:

1. Custom 1/1 means Audi Exclusive which isn’t being offered due to COVID-19 so you won’t really be doing anything outside of the ordering guide. There is chatter on opening it back up next year, but for orders placed now it’ll be bounced back.

2. 2022 order guides are out, nothing changed for the AWD unit, but the RWD unit is a performance model now with 2 additional options (ceramics + buckets, sport exhaust + performance mode). Pricing is not out for the two above options, but orders can be submitted with those options.

3. Allocations are already out, at least for the RWD Performance. My vehicle status is “Factory” aka accepted by Audi and ready for production, took a month to change from Waitlist to Factory. I opted for the sport exhaust + performance mode so no problem there.

4. There can be some potential deals made if you’re lucky. Dealers know the V10 is over so they’re going to stay at MSRP or markup. Look at the used RWD market for the 2021 unit, already selling 10-20k over sticker for used.

5. Deliveries are late Q3 / early Q4 for this year with potential to move over to Q1 depending on holidays, traffic, port issues, etc.

6. If you want to order a 2022 R8, you better act fast as allocations are draining fast, especially the RWD unit. You won’t be successful in ordering a car March 2022.

7. R8 is being discontinued after this year model year, the RWD Performance is their last big hurrah. They already released the limited run car (Panther Edition). Huracans from the Lamborghini side are also dwindling down and pivoting to the new platform.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am really surprised by comments regarding discount off MSRP. I have talked to multiple dealers and it’s either at MSRP or marked up. I literally spoke to another out of town dealer a few hours back that just got a 21RWD and he said it’s firmly at MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of the comments are in regards to previous experiences with buying an R8. You could get some discounts for 2009-2015 and 2017-2020 since they were massed produced model with no end of life for the car.

Now the market has changed where V10’s won’t be a thing and the best bang for the buck exotic is being discontinued. There is no longer an incentive to discount the cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shop around at several higher-volume dealers.
I agree that more often than not you're paying sticker when you order and even the used cars are going over sticker these days. But a discount isn't unheard of for a new order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Very much appreciated!

Couple of things:

1. Custom 1/1 means Audi Exclusive which isn’t being offered due to COVID-19 so you won’t really be doing anything outside of the ordering guide. There is chatter on opening it back up next year, but for orders placed now it’ll be bounced back.
Thanks for that. I guess I'll just order what I want and not really worry about it being a one-of-one. I wasn't really concerned about that anyway. Really, it was just a matter of gaining access to custom colors for interior, in the trunk, headliner, etc.

2. 2022 order guides are out, nothing changed for the AWD unit, but the RWD unit is a performance model now with 2 additional options (ceramics + buckets, sport exhaust + performance mode). Pricing is not out for the two above options, but orders can be submitted with those options.
So, how can a person order something without knowing/negotiating a price first? Why would a consumer pay a $5K non-refundable deposit to place an order if they don't agree on the final price?

3. Allocations are already out, at least for the RWD Performance. My vehicle status is “Factory” aka accepted by Audi and ready for production, took a month to change from Waitlist to Factory. I opted for the sport exhaust + performance mode so no problem there.
I wish I knew more about how allocations work. Do certain dealerships get more allocations than others based on volume of previous sales? Doesn't seem fair to the consumer that just wants to go to their nearest Audi dealership, negotiate a price and order a car.

4. There can be some potential deals made if you’re lucky. Dealers know the V10 is over so they’re going to stay at MSRP or markup. Look at the used RWD market for the 2021 unit, already selling 10-20k over sticker for used.
Are prices high because demand is high and limited cars are built? One would think that they would have negotiation room because they don't have to keep anything in stock. It's basically free money for them. Maybe I'm not looking at it from their perspective, but I don't have enough information to do so.

5. Deliveries are late Q3 / early Q4 for this year with potential to move over to Q1 depending on holidays, traffic, port issues, etc.
Sounds about right. I am in no hurry. I would actually prefer a January 2022 delivery, but I also don't want to miss out.

6. If you want to order a 2022 R8, you better act fast as allocations are draining fast, especially the RWD unit. You won’t be successful in ordering a car March 2022.
I really don't understand why my dealership would give me such bad information. Are they just ill informed themselves? Why wouldn't they want to take my order now and just let me walk out of the dealership? It's like they couldn't care less if they get the sell or not. Maybe they just didn't take me seriously?

7. R8 is being discontinued after this year model year, the RWD Performance is their last big hurrah. They already released the limited run car (Panther Edition). Huracans from the Lamborghini side are also dwindling down and pivoting to the new platform.
The dealership also led me to believe that 2022 won't be the last model year for the AWD R8. Could you help me understand why the folks here believe 2022 will be the last year and they don't?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called another Audi dealership in my area. Night and day difference. They knew exactly what was going on, had the order guides and was able to answer all of my questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I called another Audi dealership in my area. Night and day difference. They knew exactly what was going on, had the order guides and was able to answer all of my questions.
Great to hear! So you have an order in then?!?!? ;)

And even though there's not pricing out, deals are typically "percent off MSRP". The base prices are out - the AWD Performance went up by $900 for instance - but I haven't seen option pricing. You can always use last year's pricing as a guide and throw on another grand or so as a good estimate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great to hear! So you have an order in then?!?!? ;)
Haha! I wish. They are emailing me the 2022 guides and I am also inquiring about Audi Exclusive interior colors. They mentioned that the Audi Exclusive plant will be shutting down because people were okay with getting a standard color paint and getting a wrap to color it the way they want, negating the need to exclusive paint colors. I informed them that I like the Daytona Gray Pearl and that I was mostly interested in custom leather colors for the interior.

And even though there's not pricing out, deals are typically "percent off MSRP". The base prices are out - the AWD Performance went up by $900 for instance - but I haven't seen option pricing. You can always use last year's pricing as a guide and throw on another grand or so as a good estimate.
Ah, I see then. That makes sense. I will look at doing a percentage discount, but we'll see how much they laugh at me when I ask for an 8% discount. But this particular dealership said that they sold 8 R8's last year and they pretty frequently earn more allocation. They're the #3 dealership in Texas as far as volume. But, it's always good to price compete.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have tried asking for percent off MSRP with no luck. The best I was offered was 3k off MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 72 Posts