Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been to the track day at Oulton this week? Good day out? Fantastic drive or what?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yep ... I went to the early session on Sunday 1 July ... great day, although I missed the lunch as I had a full Sunday roast with yorkshires etc being cooked for me while I drove home ... :)

Had a really good time ... loved the car ... weather not the best ... but it showed what the car can do ... even in the wet you really had to either deliberately carry too much speed into the corner ... or keep the gearing low and bury the loud pedal too early ... if you wanted to unsettle the R8 ... :)

I don't think anyone 'lost' an R8 during the morning session ... although both myself and my driving partner for the day pushed as hard as we could ... managing to get the car twitching here and there ... but we had to push a lot harder than we expected to begin to approach the limits of the R8's handling ... :)

Whatever anyone says ... the R8 is a fantastic drivers car for those people that want to be able to jump in to a car and drive it quickly from the start ... and be confident in doing so ... but being as you will be able to drive it quickly straight out of the showroom ... just think how quickly you'll be able to drive it after spening several thousand miles at the wheel ... :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Went this morning. The car is absolutely fantastic and surpassed all my expectations in acceleration, grip and braking. Maybe I am not as car savvy as some on this forum but I know what I like and this car is phenomenal.

It is unique in terms of its instant drivability although still managed to scare my unfortunate co passenger with an almost offroad episode.

I also learned what an average driver I am when I found myself unable to keep up with the audi team driver who was driving with one hand / talking on the radio intercom and keeping one eye on four R8s in his mirror.

On the way home it made my Maserati Gransport seem very tame and I had to refocus my braking distances because the Brembo's were not a patch on the R8 braking system (standard not even ceramic!)

John :) :) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
John
your driving was just fine ,i'm just a bit of a girl really;)
the memory of nearly going in to the gravel trap has been forgotton .

i just wishes we had had more time in the r-tronic car ,may be next time if they give us another day .

awsome day congrats to audi

·
Registered
311 Posts
John, how did you get on with R-tronic? I am especially interested as to how it compares with the Gransport version of Cambiocorsa, which I liked a lot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
and I dont suspect you guys had the chance to drive manual? and thanks for the quick review - really counting days now... the last 2 weeks before any delivery are the hardest ;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on the afternoon session today and they had approx. 10 manuals and 5 R-tronics and you had chance to drive both. As someone who has always preferred manuals I found the R-tronic excellent and very smooth although a little slow to change up sometimes.

Weather was atrocious but the car performed perfectly despite my driving.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the open gate shift a little awkward and had difficulty making smooth gearchanges with the clutch release but was under stress trying to keep up with the instructor at speed. I'm sure with practice it would be fine and both gearlever and clutch felt reasonably weighted and smooth.

As I stated below the biggest surprise for me was that the R-tronic was so good after reading so many reviews to the contrary although the point that it might not be worth the extra cash is still valid maybe?

·
Registered
149 Posts
John, how did you get on with R-tronic? I am especially interested as to how it compares with the Gransport version of Cambiocorsa, which I liked a lot.
The R-Tronic was better than the cambiocorsa. Faster shift and very easy to drive smoothly if you are not trying to overtake the audi pro driver. I really cannot see what all these articles about jerkiness and problems when in slow traffic are about. This is about as easy as a car gets to drive. The R Tronic has to be faster at speed when cornering etc - not only are the shifts faster but much easier to focus with both hands on the wheel but then I am a confirmed user of paddle shifts so not exactly impartial. The slalom was much easier with the RTronic than the cornering on the circuit with the manual - again impressions of a paddle-shifter.

This is great car whichever gearbox you go for (wrong terminology as the gearbox is exactly the same as is the clutch in both - just different clutch activation) and as ever it will boil down to personal preference. I would point out that as manuals go this is a lovely manual gearbox.

John:) :) :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks John, I am heartened by your opinion. I ordered R-tronic also..phew! How did you find the paddles? In the R8 they move with the wheel, which is okay for regular road driving but not so good for tight corners or slow driving in car parks etc. I would have preferred the paddles to remain static a la Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks John, I am heartened by your opinion. I ordered R-tronic also..phew! How did you find the paddles? In the R8 they move with the wheel, which is okay for regular road driving but not so good for tight corners or slow driving in car parks etc. I would have prefered the paddles to remain static a la Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini.
Ashamed to admit it but didnt even notice. Mind you we didnt do a lot three point turns or parking manoevres. They do tell you to keep your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel and cross over your arms on sharp corners which effectively keeps your hands over the paddles in any case.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts