Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not convinced on this. It's not clear how it is powered throughout being parked? Is it charging an internal battery while you drive? What if your commute is short? Also, why not support a SIM card and let us use our existing carrier and plan to power the 4G...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not convinced on this. It's not clear how it is powered throughout being parked? Is it charging an internal battery while you drive? What if your commute is short? Also, why not support a SIM card and let us use our existing carrier and plan to power the 4G...
I contacted Owl about this. The camera stays on for 24hrs after being parked via the ODBII connection, or, shuts down if it detects low voltage. The cam also has a bunch of internal memory and WiFi, so you can transfer the videos without LTE.

·
Registered
175 Posts
True. I guess I might be an edge case since I don't have WiFi where I park at home and work.

Right now, I run a Blackvue DR750 dual channel and a Verizon hotspot in the car. So I can open the app and live stream the cameras the car even when I don't have WiFi (which is almost all the time for me)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you like your Blackvue? I just bought a DR750-1CH and am about to get it installed. I know I'll need a hotspot, but I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run a DR650-2CH in my M3 for the last two years and it works great with decent clarity. Just installed an LGD521 2-CH in the R8 since I got a smoking deal and it also works fine and it looks just like the Blackvue with is more discreet. Parking mode is great but these still put a drain on the battery especially if you drive short distances. They both have their quirks and I have wifi in the garage which helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love my BlackVue. I wish the clip streaming was fast. I think that is a limitation of the Cam's WiFi chip.

I'm trying to build an external battery pack solution that would last 12 hours on a 15 min charge. That way it's not pulling from the car battery when the car is off. I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm trying to make sure nothing blows up lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 45 min commute and then I garage my car and I don't think there is wifi, though I need to check. Got the powermagic pro and am hoping it will be able to run while I'm at work without having to shut-down. Going to have a local place install it so I don't screw it up.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I had DR750W 2Ch, now i have the newer one DR750S 2Ch but not installed yet in April when i take out the car to see how is it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I chose to forgo the slick Owl Cam and bought an Aukey 4k & hardwire kit. Wifi, etc, just not 4G/LET. All in = $140. I'll follow up with a write-up and review.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Kinda overpriced. I like my Thinkware F770. Dual cameras and runs with car off and will record if impact or motion. On ignition cycle it will tell you how many times it detected either of the two so you can go back and review.

Here's some footage day and night from the camera...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like new technology. I don't like being tied to LTE cost per month.

However, the Owl thing is expensive to have sitting in your windscreen when you're not in the car. It's almost like having an iPhone value item and leaving it on show in the windscreen.

Most people wouldn't bother breaking into the car to steal a $30 ebay dashcam but when you have over $300 in the windscreen on show then doesn't that get a bit tempting for the thieves?

I'm just amazed that the car manufacturers haven't installed dashcams yet as either standard or optional extra moulded into the rear view mirror or into the front of the dash.

PS **** you Nosferatu for posting such stunning footage from your front and rear dashcam :p I want one of those now !!!! Reading this forum costs me money every time I look at it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts