Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any mention of forming an owners club in the UK, obviously when we've got a few more owners on the go. (Still waiting patiently!!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I asked the same question,about a future official R8 owners club or specific events organised by Audi to my Swiss dealer and he stated that they are working on something, along the lines of the Audi Experience they have already in place in some countries .

In USA and Germany Audi is very active with its official program.

Between Italy and Switzerland, at this time, they have only a Driving School, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
274 Posts
why not do it on this board??
just need some subsites and moderators...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I asked the same question,about a future official R8 owners club or specific events organised by Audi to my Swiss dealer and he stated that they are working on something, along the lines of the Audi Experience they have already in place in some countries .

In USA and Germany Audi is very active with its official program.

Between Italy and Switzerland, at this time, they have only a Driving School, to my knowledge.
we have a driving school? especially for R8s?
trackdays?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Surely the r8latk.com is the owners club ???????????

If not, why not???

This could be the single most diverse (for area / country) car club in the world.

Local meets and European meets (sorry US, AUS & Sing etc.)

Would the administrators consider this ?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Surely the r8latk.com is the owners club ???????????

If not, why not???

This could be the single most diverse (for area / country) car club in the world.

Local meets and European meets (sorry US, AUS & Sing etc.)

Would the administrators consider this ?
I would think this site is ... to a degree at least ... already considered by many as an unofficial owners club ...

I'm registered on a similar forum based site due to my NSX ownership ... www.nsxcb.co.uk ... which is probably the biggest online community of NSX owners in the UK ... with users from other countries registered also it is a very useful site for ... information, tips, and help, etc. ... I would think that this site will ... if it hasn't already ... form the same sort of online community base that the NSXCB site has done for the NSX community ...

If my financial situation recovers ... as I'm hoping it will in the next couple of weeks or so ... I will no doubt be spending a bit more time online ... and if the administrators of the site are open to the idea ... I would happily help shape the site (a more appropriate forum structure would be appropriate to start with) and as I'd be about more often ... I'd be able to moderate and even administer the site if it is agreed to by the site's owners and main administrator ...

Asides from a general discussion area ... an events area would be needed, ideally set up with sub-sections for each year, with each year having a sub-section for each appropriate continent ... a question and answers area, or an owners/potential owners question area, might be useful ... maybe a classifieds section for R8 related products might also be useful ... regardless, it would need the site owners and administrators to agree to and or steer this appropriately ... I will be happy to help out, but only if my finances are restored in the coming couple of weeks ... if they are not, I will not have time to spend administrating, or moderating the site on anything other than a once in a blue moon basis.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would think this site is ... to a degree at least ... already considered by many as an unofficial owners club ...

I'm registered on a similar forum based site due to my NSX ownership ... www.nsxcb.co.uk ... which is probably the biggest online community of NSX owners in the UK ... with users from other countries registered also it is a very useful site for ... information, tips, and help, etc. ... I would think that this site will ... if it hasn't already ... form the same sort of online community base that the NSXCB site has done for the NSX community ...

If my financial situation recovers ... as I'm hoping it will in the next couple of weeks or so ... I will no doubt be spending a bit more time online ... and if the administrators of the site are open to the idea ... I would happily help shape the site (a more appropriate forum structure would be appropriate to start with) and as I'd be about more often ... I'd be able to moderate and even administer the site if it is agreed to by the site's owners and main administrator ...

Asides from a general discussion area ... an events area would be needed, ideally set up with sub-sections for each year, with each year having a sub-section for each appropriate continent ... a question and answers area, or an owners/potential owners question area, might be useful ... maybe a classifieds section for R8 related products might also be useful ... regardless, it would need the site owners and administrators to agree to and or steer this appropriately ... I will be happy to help out, but only if my finances are restored in the coming couple of weeks ... if they are not, I will not have time to spend administrating, or moderating the site on anything other than a once in a blue moon basis.
Paul, you are the MAN for the job - lets all hope that you have the time sooner than later.

Administrators - don't let a valuable talent like Paul escape, consider his offer and build a great owners club.

·
Registered
564 Posts
PAUL!!!! great to hear from you again.. well we all hope your situation recovers soon...

I also see this as THE place for R8 owners... Kreso could be the one shipping the useful info from RS6 forum here.. as there sometimes are also good threads unknown to r8talk.

and I'd love to volunteer to do admin in the swiss section ;)
as I see it, we need to onboard more from other regions.. only ME and TI-Mike from switzerland.. non germans... and from diff other european places we also miss owners.. what about the crash driver girl from russia e.g. ;)

take care Paul.. and keep an eye out for us

·
Registered
45 Posts
Paul,

I was the proud owner of an NSX too and just decided to let it go a few weeks back to order the R8!

What are your impressions, comparing the two cars?
To some degree they felt a lot similar to me,... this is one of the reason I went for the R8 over a 997.

On the NSX I had a chip modification and it made a huge difference in
mid-range power; I was thinking about doing the same with the Audi (below 5.000 rpm it is not the strongest).

Were I live the NSX is a rare sight and I guess the R8 will be the same.

Never had the opportunity to meet with other NSX owners, maybe with the R8 I will have better luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
R8chris,

Nice to hear from other R8 fans south of the Alps.

I live in Italy but work in Lugano.

Just ordered my R8 from a local "garage".

Apparently in Switzerland the R8 is not making waves: they basically had two cars coming for immedate delivery in October...maybe nobody liked the option combination.

How long have you been waiting yours?

All the best,
CeBe

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds great. I agree that this site is proving great for feedback, and info, and it seems a logical step to extend this into an owners club. Glad I flagged it up. all I need now is my car!!!!! 4-6 weeks to go.:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry ... long post coming up ...
CeBe ... links to summary after my R8 drive ... click here ... my thoughts after my R8 drive ... click here
Paul,

I was the proud owner of an NSX too and just decided to let it go a few weeks back to order the R8!

What are your impressions, comparing the two cars?
To some degree they felt a lot similar to me,... this is one of the reason I went for the R8 over a 997.
I think the NSX and R8 are more similar ... than a lot of people would care to believe.
Having driven both of them ... admittedly my time in the R8 was only a couple of hours at the first a preview day at Oulton Park in July ... they are not overly different ... they are both very well mannered.
The NSX and R8 will exhibit mild under-steer when pushing hard into a corner ... although the NSX is more likely to change over to mild/medium over-steer if pushing hard ... and you are more likely to be able to get the NSX to exhibit a nice amount of medium/large over-steer if that is how you like to drive ... although I suspect if you could turn off the traction control in the R8 you would be able to get some nice over-steer too ... however, I suspect that ultimately you would always feel safer and more confident in the R8 when pushing the envelope in it ... as opposed to the NSX.
The NSX, being a mid-engined car will ... which when pushed really hard ... require a very skilled driver to catch excessive over-steer without it resulting in a ... "tank slapper" ... that 99% of the time will result in a complete spin ... or two ... or as in my case a 900degree spin after failing to catch the excessive over-steer on the fourth change direction of tail slide ... fortunately this was at Bedford and the only damage was a small (less than 1cm square) bit of rubber being removed from an edge block of tread on the right rear tyre ... and the loss of three centre caps from my wheels ... I drove the car 100miles to Bedford on the day ... and even after my spin ... I drove the car home that night ... with no adverse effects.
I would suspect (or at least hope) that with better handling and better grip ... the R8 would be easier to regain control of should a "tank slapper" occur ... and maybe even allow the not so super-skilled driver to regain control of the R8 before the "tank slapper" turned into a full on spin.
The R8 is obviously significantly quicker than the NSX ... has better levels of grip ... and is a more balanced car than even the very well mannered NSX ... take the NSX into a series of tight S bends and ultimately you will have less confidence and less faith that you will make the next change of direction without the back end starting to drift and ultimately forcing you to back off ... whereas with the R8 this is an area where it best exhibits its stability and balance ... the R8 will change direction repeatedly even when being pushed hard and you will have to work quite hard to get the R8 to break its traction to any great degree ... which I suspect in real world road trips will mean you can continue pushing hard through bend after bend after bend ... I know the RS4 simply annihilated a stretch of very twisty road at speeds that when I look back at ... simply astounded me ... all without feeling like she was about to exceed her levels of grip ... so with more grip and higher cornering speed capabilities ... the R8 will be a blindingly good car to take on to your favourite stretch of tarmac.
On the NSX I had a chip modification and it made a huge difference in
mid-range power; I was thinking about doing the same with the Audi (below 5.000 rpm it is not the strongest).

Were I live the NSX is a rare sight and I guess the R8 will be the same.

Never had the opportunity to meet with other NSX owners, maybe with the R8 I will have better luck.
I think the basic engine characteristics of the NSX and R8 are not that different either ... albeit that the power levels are significantly more in the R8 ... but, the more reviews and owners feedback that I read about the R8's engine the more I see people saying it only pulls really well once you get halfway up the rev range ... I see the halfway point as this ... the rev range starts at 1,000rpm as that's approximately where the engine idles and ends at the red line at approximately 8,000rpm - this is the same for both the NSX and R8 - so halfway for me is approx 4,500rpm ... and around 4,500rpm to 5,000rpm seems to be where people are saying the R8's engine starts to really come alive and this is roughly the same for the NSX as the VTEC part of the engine has kicked in and gives you that extra torque and power required for high speed driving.
However, I didn't spend too much time checking the torquiness of the R8's engine across it's rev range on my driving day ... having owned a 2006 RS4 I knew the engine reasonably well (I know it's has different characteristics in the R8, but it's not really that different) I was more interested in it's handling and high speed feel ... if I have a long drive ahead of me I'll not be pushing hard and if I want to pass something I'll drop it down a cog ... or two ... rather than just try and bury my foot on the loud pedal ... which is what the NSX ... and seemingly the R8 ... requires you to do unless you already have the engine singing in the top half of the rev range ... so for me that apparent lack of punch in the lower half of the rev range is irrelevant ... I'll just change gear ... which is not that hard to do, is it?
I know the NSX is a great car for long trips, you can drive it fast without pushing hard and get to the other end feeling relaxed and not tired ... I suspect the same will be true of the R8 ... which is possibly why both of them will pull reasonably well in the lower half of their rev range ... which is where you'll be on a relaxed 200mile plus cross country drive ... but when you want to have some fun, revs are your best friend (or at least they are for me) ... so keep the engine in the top half of the rev range and you can't go wrong as fun is just a short push of the loud pedal away ... both the NSX and the R8 put a smile on your face when you have had a spirited drive ... and I suspect both will put a smile on your face when you see one on your drive or in your garage when you go to take it out for a drive ... I know the NSX does, even after more than 3 years of ownership.
The NSX really is a sports car that you can use everyday ... it will happily take you in and out of town is a civilised subdued manner ... attracting admiring glances from those in the know ... and appropriate glances from people just admiring the lines of what is (in pop up headlight form) ... imho ... one of the prettiest cars ever to grace the road ... and you can get two full sets of golf clubs in the boot of the NSX with shoes and waterproofs ... I know as I have done it ... which is more than can be said for most two-seater sports cars capable of over 170mph ... so with great reliability and a plentiful luggage capacity the NSX really is a true everyday car ... that when you want it to ... can outrun more cars than many would care to admit ... even 20 years after it was designed ... and nearly 18 years after it started production.
I fully suspect the R8 to be as capable as an everyday car than the NSX ... although it does appear to have a less 'user friendly' amount of luggage space ... which with an appropriate luggage set you could easily take it away for a long weekend break ... I am finding it hard to believe that you can get two full sets of clubs behind the seats ... although with the front boot space you wouldn't have to put your shoes and waterproofs etc in your bag and could possibly fit a fold up trolley or two in the front boot space with your shoes etc. ... but two full sets of golf clubs behind the seats ... still not sure about that.
All the above of course is ... imho ... but having driven both cars it is with some insider knowledge (much more so the NSX than the R8) ... and in the case of the NSX is to the surprise of more drivers than you would believe ... or who would be prepared to admit ... :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
R8chris,

Nice to hear from other R8 fans south of the Alps.

I live in Italy but work in Lugano.

Just ordered my R8 from a local "garage".

Apparently in Switzerland the R8 is not making waves: they basically had two cars coming for immedate delivery in October...maybe nobody liked the option combination.

How long have you been waiting yours?

All the best,
CeBe

hi CeBe

Well I am actually from the north side of the alps ;) but Ti Mike is from the sunny side.. thats why he promoted his semi slicks :D

no waves?.. not sure in which context u mean that..

I got mine bout 3 weeks ago.. waited 10 months
there are already few R8 cruising the swiss streets.. its THE attraction at the moment.. but we will only get 100 in the first prod year.. thereafter maybe 80 or so.. lets see what the publics response on the targa and v10 will be

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great post Paul, thank you much for the usefull comparison.

I agree with your conclusions about the similarities of the two cars 100%.

Only hope that the R8 will still be a milestone in sports cars and impressive to drive 15 years after its introduction, as the NSX is today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello R8Chris,

I meant that, to the contrary of what happens in other countries (with long waiting lists and premiums over list-price) apparently in Switzerland the demand for the R8 is not very strong.

I admit that my experience is very limited and that I could have been lucky; but the first garage I contacted in Ticino, only two weeks ago, had two cars coming in October without any deposit taken for and a further one for January 2008 (on this last one you could chose the options).

I purchased one of the two cars ready for delivery, for list price.

Maybe nobody was happy with the option list: both are daytona grey with
R-tronic and Magnetic Ride...

They told me today that the one car I chose is actually already at the garage and I could take delivery next week :)

Unfortunately I will be travelling for business and will be forced to postpone one week :-(

Having experienced the above, I was under the impression that the R8 did not have a strong demand in Ticino...maybe it is just the one garage that over-stretched itself ordering too many!

Cheers,
CeBe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts