Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting ready to put some serious track pads on, and after much searching finally came up with the specifications for the brake pads for the R8. NOTE: these are for the normal steel rotor brake systems, not the ceramic rotor brake systems. Pictures I've seen of the ceramic system show the front calipers are different - they have 6 pistons whereas the steel rotor calipers have 8 pistons.

The calipers are Brembo units. I have not yet been able to determine the Brembo caliper model numbers for them. If someone can find those and post them here, it would be appreciated.

So, here's the specifications for the PAGID racing brake pads.

Front pads (quantity required: 4 per caliper, 8 total)
PAGID part number: 2931

Rear pads (quantity required: 2 per caliper, 4 total)
PAGID part number: 1287

You can order these pads in any of the available PAGID compounds. Here's a link to the PAGID Racing Compound List. The Blue RS4-2 pads that are available from numerous 3rd party vendors are actually one of their milder compounds - probably fine for intermittent track use on street tires. The technician I talked to recommended the RS-29 compound for me as I use R compound tires and want a serious, track-only pad that is still nice and rotor friendly. And that pad is recommended for cars with brake boosters.

PAGID has distributors in many countries, you can buy them from the distributors in the PAGID Distributor List. (but not the ones who sell wholesale only). I'm in the USA and am working with some racing pad vendors here to get them able to supply them in their compounds.

TI-Mike is working on getting the part numbers for the Goodridge Stainless Steel brakelines that his dealer fitted to his car. Those plus some good pads should get the R8 all set for some breathtaking track days.

Cheers,

mt

·
Registered
935 Posts
Awesome. Thanks mate. I got the Pagid Blue on there at the moment. They work great on the track. I'm keen to here feedback on the RS-29 compound and braided lines.

My only concern withthe RS-29 is the street performance... They may not get up to temp quick enough to be effective...
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I will soon have these pads - arriving within a week or so from Germany.
Pagid RS29 - 8 piece set for front, 4 piece set for rear.

** There is simply NO PAD on earth which is better suited for your R8 for track work **

(Fronts are in stock, rears are arriving)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now carrying Pagid RS29 brake pads for your R8
Same pad compound that won 24 hrs of Daytona, LeMans ......
www.Rennstore.com 425-765-1090

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Mission of the OEM brake pad: MAKE NO NOISE.
Other than that, the stock pad is a huge compromise.......

Pagid Yellows:

Identical compound which captured everypodiu position at Daytona 24 hrs
Won Sebring. LeMans.
Will squeak on the street - on my car it squeeks from about 10 mph to a stop.
Ideal pad for those who want the actual enormous capability these R8 cars can deliver.
I would swap them for track days - easy to do-
An all out, high friction track pad that is pretty easy on the rotors.

Blues:
Lighter colored dust than OEM
Minimal noise, on average a tad bit compared to stock
More trackable than OEM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question:
Who is interested in Pagid Blues and who is interested in the Yellows?

I need to know what to stock - these are not cheap.......

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Braided lines - no need waste of time & effort. Seriously.
~~~~~
Data Point: About 2/3 have no noise on the street from the Blues

I'm a huge fan of swapping to Pagid Yellows for track work, switching back
to soft, stock, silent OEMs for street use.

That way: No compromise :)

Now carrying Pagid RS29 Yellow/RS42 Blue brake pads for your R8
Same pad compound that won 24 hrs of Daytona, LeMans ......
www.Rennstore.com 425-765-1090

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Yeah, they really won't cut it - and apparently the Blues make noise on the street so why not just change out to the Yellows for track use - correct?

You would not be disappointed in the Yellows for track use - there is nothing better.
Perhaps why they are the main pad for use in the 24 hrs of Lemans, Daytona 24 hrs, ALMS etc.

I have them in stock, ready to roll.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: PAGID Brake ~ OEM pad information

Just had the OEM pads replaced, if it's of any interest or help to anyone,

1. The front pads (eight separate pieces) come in an AUDI/VW/SEAT/Skoda box wearing PN#8E0-698-151-H "made in germany" &, interestingly enough the words "Audi RS4"

2. W/regard to the front pads, stamped into the metal backing plate is "PAGID AQ03" Printed on the rear of the pad (somewhat difficult to fully read/make out on the used pads since the heats gotten to the ink) are "07.8610" and "Pagid AQ03" along with the 4 rings and Audi part number, ??? 615-115 ???

3. Only one of the front pads seems to have been prepared for a wear sensor "hole" All of the front pads have had a serries of concentric circles etched or scribed in the back of the pads to mark where the pistons would press. Speculation on my part but I wonder if this might not also be part of an anti squeal or resonance control feature as well.

4. As for the rear, the backing plate is stamped with Ferodo HP1000/1 and the box the pads come in bears the legend "made in Italy" "Audi R8 (42, 04/07) Looks like the PN# on the box for the rear pads is 40-698-451 B, but .....

5. The rear pads themselves come with what seem to be two different part numbers, 420.615.415, 420.615.415.A (there's a pad wear sensor fixture on this part); and two 420.615.416.A pads. These pads all have arrows (~>) printed on them which I'm guessing have to do with direction Audi would like you to have the rotor passing across the pads and come with an interesting secondary pad plate/material bonded to the rear of the pad which seems to have a special pattern etched or otherwise embeded in the surface. In addition to the Audi VW logo painted on the pad backing, "Brembo" is also printed on the pads.

If I get adept with the digital camera and can figure out how to attache the pictures, I'll try to grab a photo of the stock pads and post them to this forum.

So, looks like for OEM purposes the R8 is using two different pad compounds, Pagid AQ03, what ever that compound might be or represent in front, and Ferodo HP1000/1 in the rear.

Cheers, Mike

Further browsing the 'net for pad compound information, e.g. http://www.theracersgroup.com/shop/pagid.php has short blurb on Pagid noting the Black RS 4-2-1 compound to be ".... A high performance compound with low fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. Rotor friendly and OE on various Ferrari, Lamborgini, Lotus, Bugatti and Corvette (Callaway) models. Suitable for street and light track use." I didn't see or come up with anything specific to "AQ03" Don't know for sure but on some of the sites, the RS 4-2-1 compound may also be refered to as Pagid "S" (for sport I guess) pad. For a relative comparision of friction v temperature among the Pagid compounds, theres a chart at http://www.braketechnology.com/techinfo.html

Maybe Craig from Rennstore can chime in here, but I beleive all the "4" family of pads, the Black 4-2-1, Blue 4-2 and Orange 4, are not catagorized as being ceramic pads; the "1" series Pagid's are, which puts them in a different temperature, rotor wear and noise catagory?

Have to do some more looking around for information on the Ferodo pads.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: PAGID Brake ~ OEM pad information

Great info Mike, thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
rear pads are the same as the Mitsubishi EVO 8 does use in the front.

Be aware of one thing, that the Brake pads from the Audi RS4 B7 does NOT fit in the R8, looks like the same caliper but the R8 Pads have a back plate, this back plate is welted with 2 little points to the OEM Pads.

The RS4 pads do not have this plate, but as the plate also warps around the pad ( only at the metal reap plate of the pad ) the RS4 pads will be loose in the caliper and every time you just touch the brakes they will move in the direction of the rotation of the disk.
Will it does something ????? I don't know

When i mounted the D22 Pads on my R8 i managed to get this little thin plates of the original pads and slide them on the Ferodo D22 pads.

I know this little washer pads from other cars , they should prevent from the noise, but why the have warped the pad in so that a regular pad of the same caliper would be loose...........maybe marketing, that the RS4 or Gallardo pads wouldn't fit.

Anyway if you manage to the this metal plates of and just add them to the racing pad you just bought it will work and the pads will not flood around in the caliper.

but as you can see the pagids do have this back plate fitted on thats why i went now from Ferodo D22 ( lasted only 100 laps on the Track but perfect result ) to the pagids RS29 setup to see how they will work.
If they last 100 laps as well i would be happy.

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Ti-Mike, how did the rotors hold up? Have you replaced them yet? or still original?
Perfect question just in time.

The Ferodo D22 pads are very quickly used , i have done about 77 to 82 Laps during 2 Trackdays.

No public road. ( yes sorry to the track and back home but only freeway no hard braking 120 km/H max )

The disked worked fine but the pads got so quickly used that i was braking only with iron no padding left :D :D :D

This happened on sunday, today I have mounted the new rotors, looks nice and i have bought the Pagids RS29's

After fitting them on i started to run the disk and the pads in as mentioned on the Pagid Webpage, my first impression.......wow........they bit in like hell, difference to the Ferodos is that The Pagids bit right away as the Ferodos give you a little more pedals play but they don't fade as the Pagid.

What is better i don't know but the first impression is positive on the Pagid.

I will let you know after a trackday. I realized that the rims tstay pretty clean with the pagid as on the ferodos the rims looked like **** after a few km on the road.

Do the Pagis make noise, till yet very very little the Ferodos like hell, sounds like a pig is being slaughtered.

Please check the pictures.

As you can se the rotors are f***cked but only by the fact that it was metal to metal, the thickness looks still fine and I couldn't feel any use by touching the outer part of the rotor.

The left rotor had metal contact the right one not so you see not to bad

·
Registered
313 Posts
i am still very very happy with the pagid , i am using them in the front and rear, just fine......i am using the rs29 spec's

1 - 20 of 47 Posts