Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Been using Pagid Blue for my Track Days and it looks like they have put serious grooves in my rotors. :(

We inspected the pads and found that the Pagid blues have 2 circular solid areas (size of a coin) in the centre of the pad surfaces, that have actually made the grooves in the rotor.

Basically by rotors are screwed. I got new rotors and Pagid Yellows, but I'm worried the Yellows will do the same damage.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Guys,

Been using Pagid Blue for my Track Days and it looks like they have put serious grooves in my rotors. :(

We inspected the pads and found that the Pagid blues have 2 circular solid areas (size of a coin) in the centre of the pad surfaces, that have actually made the grooves in the rotor.

Basically by rotors are screwed. I got new rotors and Pagid Yellows, but I'm worried the Yellows will do the same damage.

Any ideas?
What did Pagid say about the problem??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine are coming off when I get back home. Just can't tolerate the noise. I hope that I will not find any damage to the rotors. I really haven't used them much though. One very short track day and a little regular driving.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PAGID Steel Backing Plate Design
PAGID uses a unique and patented system to ensure the friction material does not delaminate from the steel backing plate. The friction material is attached to the backing plate in two ways, adhesive bonding and mechanical retention. The mechanical retention (patented) is accomplished by inserting ‘brass torpedoes’ (studs) -which are welded onto the steel backing plate – deep into the friction material. The ‘brass torpedoes’ do not harm the brake disc (rotor).

What do I believe??? :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Craig, should I use the RS-15 Grey? They have higher Friction Level and Operating Temp. IMO, looks like they are better than RS-29 I just purchased. Thoughts?

Friction Level

Cold 0.50
At 100°C 0.57
At 300°C 0.54
Max at (@ 600°C) 0.62
Constant working temperature: 400 – 800°C
Max temperature for short period only: 900°C

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Post some pictures -

No way would I use Grey. HIGH rotor wear rate, insane friction, grabby feel for your application.
Use Yellows, 100% certain. Track pads -

Yellows are the pads used by most teams at LeMans, Sebring, 24 Hrs of Daytona - and for good reason!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yellow's (19's) are really good - if you've got grooves in the discs then you've run the pads too low, there's no wear indicator on Pagid's (well the ones I use). Doesn't necessarily mean your discs are dead - can't imagine the groove is very big ?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
IMO as far as I can tell the pictures display 2 things -

1) Normal and typical wear from track use where the grooving occurs in a circular direction in line with the holes

2) A wear point from the thinness of the pad (?) perhaps not.....

Why? THe posts on the Pagids are of a softer material than the rotor!

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMO as far as I can tell the pictures display 2 things -

1) Normal and typical wear from track use where the grooving occurs in a circular direction in line with the holes

2) A wear point from the thinness of the pad (?) perhaps not.....

Why? THe posts on the Pagids are of a softer material than the rotor!

All pagids have done this on audis fitted with the 8 piston caliper (even cars that have never been to the track). Having replaced hundreds of these over the last 6 years, i can safely say that the only way to prevent it is to replace the pad at half wear.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts