Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my R8 today. Ibis white with Carbon fibre blade, looks awesome - but.... I found two paint dimples, like little marks in the paint. Small but noticeable, both visibly and to the touch. I found them at the dealer before driving away and they called in their service advisor and said they would have to take advice from Audi and probably get an Audi UK person to have a look at the car. I told them I wasn't too keen on having re-painted panels on a new 95k sterling car, obviously.

Anybody else have issues like this ?

M

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you look at the thread on the detailing of an R8 you will notice that the detailer talks about an imperfection in the original paint upon delivery. If I recall correctly, he was able to remove it with a combination of buffing and clay. Perhaps yours can be corrected as well. IF NOT, I would insist on new factory painted panels. Factory paint cannot be duplicated so it is not unreasonable for you to insist on factory painted replacement panels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just to correct Wolfie - Factory paint can be replicated in a good bodyshop. I work in the Automotive refinish industry.

I do agree, that a de-nib and polish might get the marks out, if not then it may require some local painting.

Remember that about 20% of vehicle that leave the factory line have remedial work done on them.

If you need advice, please let me know where the car is an I can talk with a paint speciallist in that are for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
R8jon certainly has more experience than I do in this field although I would be curious whether there are many body shops that can replicate the painting procedure as it has been explained to me during my visits to both the Porsche and BMW factories (sadly not to Audi but I assume they use similar technology) where the paint is applied by running differing electrical currents in the body and the paint so as to ensure uniform applicatin and then literally bake the car at extreme temperatures all of this being done in specialized chambers etc... I have seen some very high end body shops but none have used this type of technology.

Jon maybe you can provide some clarification. Don't get me wrong I have seen great repaint jobs that look as good as factory but I am not sure that it is truly a equal substitute.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jon and Wolfie,
Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm not overly pleased and said to the dealer initially that I wasn't keen on having repainted panels on a new £95k car ! I'm in Wimbledon but the car was purchased through Camberley Audi which is a large dealership. I'm awaiting the Audi Uk word on the matter. I'll keep you advised and come back to you for further advice if I need it.
Cheers
Mike

Ps. Otherwise the car is awesome, just dying to get enough miles on it to give it some revs !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Basically, the groundcoats on OEM production are applied using either a dipping process, or an electrostaic coating. This can also apply for primers.

Most modern cars then have a basecoat (usually waterborne) followed by 1.5 coats of clear lacquer. These coats are typically applied to the vehicle via robot (or by hand in some case) but the vehicle is charged and the paint ionised. This reduces overspray, the paint tends to lay better and of course there is less waste. The paint is sometimes put on warm, but this can effect the way in which some metallics lay.

Reproduction in the bodyshop of this process in not exactly the same, and primers, in particular in repaired areas are sanded down so provide a good substrate. the basecoat is applied the same, but the clearcoat is not typically charged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts