Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 300 miles I discovered a stone chip on my front bumper.

Not nice, since the paint comes off completely, leaving a a white colour underneath.

And on a bright blue car it really shows. A bit like a teenager with acne..........

Not nice.

But having seen L3MAN's beast, and his chip on the bonnet, it doesn't look nice on any colour R8.

I had always intended to get the R8 "side sills" covered with Armorfend film. The side sills are easily damaged by heel scuffs or scratched by grit caught in the tread of your shoes.

Having had both RS4's and RS6's Armourfend coated, it really did protect the paintwork. Even after 5 years on my RS4, the film was still invisible and doing its job.

Having used them for years, I naturally contact Armorfend in Essex. However, it seems there has been a "management" change at Armorfend and when I enquired, the reply was "R8 ??? What's that !, I'll get back to you".

They never did.

Elliot, I am indebted to you for the lead. I contacted Paintshield in Grantham, and they were indeed very accomodating. Tom Wakeford is a great character, and he knows his stuff.

Their US operation did the US track cars for the launch events. Apparently Audi contacted them in a panic after noticing the damage caused on the launch track days.

They can cover every panel on the car (a bit of an overkill, but nice to know), Tom's boxster was a marvel......

I now have side sills, front bumper and bonnet covered, with part coverage on the mirrors and lower door sections.

It is genuinely "invisible", and it does the job. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a re-spray and it is also highly resistant to "keying".

It does not fade or discolour and it makes cleaning easier, I would certainly recommend it, as a minimum for the bumper, bonnet and side sills.

It anyone is interested, see www.paintshield.co.uk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GR8,

Don't have exact figures to hand, but it was around GBP £600 + VAT for the bumper (full coverage), part bonnet, mirror inserts.

The full coverage bonnet kit and side sills added a few hundred quid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Elliot, I am indebted to you for the lead. I contacted Paintshield in Grantham, and they were indeed very accomodating. Tom Wakeford is a great character, and he knows his stuff.
www.paintshield.co.uk
Great stuff mate, Tom is a lovely guy and has done all my cars, and we were going to do the entire Gallardo, just never got round to it :)

Hope you said hi from me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys, anyone having experience with VantureTape Ventureshield paint protection film ? It seems this is the only one available here (actually more dealers switched from 3M to this one as it is told to be more flexible, easier to apply and better against UV yellowing). I also read VentureTape was acquired by 3M recently.
If anyone applied this film please give me some info. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Premiere paint protection films in the SF bay area installed Ventureshield on my R8 several weeks back. The entire hood is covered (one sheet of Ventureshield believe it or not), in addition to the front fender, rear quarter panels, side blades, and a-pillars. It is indeed completely invisible, and it is absolutely impossible to tell that the car is covered unless you feel around the creases of the car or in between seams.

I will let you know how it stands up over time, but so far its flawless. My car has no paint chips after 1.2k miles, and looks like it did the day I purchased it. I recommend you get a really good detail job prior to having the film applied so all machine swirls etc. are removed. This way the car will literally look flawless.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Quick! Some one write Car and Driver, or Motor Trend and tell them we need a paint protection film comparo. Who's the best? 3M?? XPEL?? Ventureshield?? I've had experience with the film on my MINI and my RS4. I wouldn't have a car without them. I don't know why, but all the jobs were the "bikini" or "simple" and always left an edge across the bonnet and front fenders. After seeing the XPEL on the whole front end makes me stop and say "hmmm".

·
Registered
63 Posts
If any of you happen to be in the Washington D.C. metro area and are looking for protectant film, I would highly recommend www.pftfilms.com. They've been protecting exotics and luxury cars for several years now, and are the premiere company doing so in the area. I also know the owner personally and he's a stand-up guy and does excellent work. I believe they use XPEL film and they have the tools and material to allow them cut their own kits and custom pieces.

·
Registered
57 Posts
GR8,

Don't have exact figures to hand, but it was around GBP £600 + VAT for the bumper (full coverage), part bonnet, mirror inserts.

The full coverage bonnet kit and side sills added a few hundred quid.
Thank you for all the info!
How long does the all thing take to put all that? Do you have to plan a full day or is it a matter of a couple of hours? Being based in London, the one in Essex would have been more convenient..

Thank you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
sparkplug can you get me their info? I just picked up a new car that would benefit quite well for something you have and I am in California as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sparkplug can you get me their info? I just picked up a new car that would benefit quite well for something you have and I am in California as well. Thank you.
Definitely:

Premier Protective Films
43096 Christy St
Fremont, CA 94538
B: 510-623-1308

Talk to Sam or Wilson. Tell them Naveen, the ice silver R8 guy referred you. Maybe they will hook me up w/ the next car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Definitely:

Premier Protective Films
43096 Christy St
Fremont, CA 94538
B: 510-623-1308

Talk to Sam or Wilson. Tell them Naveen, the ice silver R8 guy referred you. Maybe they will hook me up w/ the next car.
Do they also have a website? Not that I do not trust you, but I would like to do a little bit of homework on the people working on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 300 miles I discovered a stone chip on my front bumper.

Their US operation did the US track cars for the launch events. Apparently Audi contacted them in a panic after noticing the damage caused on the launch track days.

It anyone is interested, see www.paintshield.co.uk
This is what happened after eight laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway hence the panic call.

Here's a garage full of the first ones made.

This was the first one we did out of bulk. Once we knew we had more than one to cover, we contacted Xpel and they sent out a designer so we could us a pattern for the rest of them.

These got the pre-cut full hood, behind the front wheels, bumper, and rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Protective films will not hold up to regular tracking of your car. I just talked to a race boy that has PPF and when he runs on the track, he tapes up all the PPF covered surfaces with the blue painter's tape before heading out. Stays on, protects and comes off easy. Sounds like a good idea - has anyone tried this, or something similar?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
This is a very popular trick at the track.2" wide blue painters tape party!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
From my experience this stuff holds up very well. I don't track my cars, so I can't say how it'll do, but I've had gravel truck drops loads of rocks in front of me and I don't have any chips. Well worth it in my opinion. Spending the extra for a qualified person to do it is more important than the material itself. Here's my write up of how it was done on my R8: http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2494

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I guess the protective film is more suited to mellow cruising and not heavy duty abuse.It's cars in front that kick up the rocks !!!:D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts