Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've never had paint protection film on any of my cars before, and I'm seriously debating on whether or not to get one for my R8. What are some of the Pros and Cons of getting one? Anybody with firsthand experience?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have my entire front end covered including bumper & hood. it's a must have for me, all my cars.

pics are still in the camera. once i upload them i'll try to post here. the bumper is a pre-cut design but the hood is 100% custom. also have the side skirts covered as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've done the same with Paint Shield in UK.

www.paintshield.co.uk

They have a US office who [should] now have the correct patterns for the R8

I have full bonnet, side sills, mirrors and the lower part of the doors and sideblades covered.

The side sills are a must as they are easily damaged by heels or gravel stuck in the tread of your shoes.

The film is made by 3M and has been around for many years. I have had it on an RS4 for 5 years and it really did the job !

The paint on new cars is water based and is soft, easily damaged by stones.

There is no point me uploading photos, because its very hard to see the film on the car !!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Depends how much of the car you want done..............

For full bonnet (part bonnet also available), bumper, mirrors, side sills you are looking at around £800.

But it will protect the paintwork and can be peeled off if needed - years later - to reveal perfect paintwork.

Call Tom at Paintshield to get a quote. Remind him that he did my sprint blue R8 in September.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have it on all of the forward panels as well as the possible wheel stone chip area's, the dealer installed it and did not charge me. The only draw backs so far is that the butt ends collect dirt, you need to pay attention to them when washing the rig. Other than that you save the front clip from that shotgun blast look. Well worth the price....what ever it is!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had mine done by Premier here in sunny California. www.premiermobilegroup.com
They are known as one of the best companies there are. Bottom line is that this not only saves your paint, it also gives you a peace of mind. I've had it done on all of my Porsches and I will absolutely have this done when my 09 arrives. I can't stress this enough though,... whoever you go with to get this done, check out the company's work in person and ask for recommendations. I've heard and seen too many horror stories from people who had this done by amatuers. Good luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
can anyone put pictures up?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Depends how much of the car you want done..............

For full bonnet (part bonnet also available), bumper, mirrors, side sills you are looking at around £800.

But it will protect the paintwork and can be peeled off if needed - years later - to reveal perfect paintwork.

Call Tom at Paintshield to get a quote. Remind him that he did my sprint blue R8 in September.
They quoted me £1410 !!!!!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A question to those who have gotten the film on the car. Were there slight imperfections on the film that gradually when away with exposure to heat and sunlight? I just got my car back from getting the protection film done and i've noticed some imperfections and smudges on the car. I called the shop and they told me that it goes away with exposure to heat and sunlight :confused: They are a very reputable shop and they are very well known, but after collecting my car yesterday, I'm a bit worried. Of course they said they will guarantee any work they have done. Any of you have this problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the VentureShield product on my R8 in the Seattle area. I highly recommend the VentureShield product as well as the need to have something done to protect the paint.

The key is the skill of the installer. After much research, there appear to be only a few good installers in the Seattle area for tricky installations like the entire front hood of an R8. I am happy to share experiences for anyone in the Seattle area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had premier apply ventureshield to my R8. They did a killer job and you can't tell that the film is even on the car. There are no imperfections what so ever, and the car looks amazing. It has already prevented 3 large rock chips on the front hood. Totally worth every penny.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had mine done by Premier here in sunny California. www.premiermobilegroup.com
They are known as one of the best companies there are. Bottom line is that this not only saves your paint, it also gives you a peace of mind. I've had it done on all of my Porsches and I will absolutely have this done when my 09 arrives. I can't stress this enough though,... whoever you go with to get this done, check out the company's work in person and ask for recommendations. I've heard and seen too many horror stories from people who had this done by amatuers. Good luck.
Per your recommendation, I used premiere in Fremont. I got a reference from someone at the company and they do all the work for Lamborghini and Bentley of SF. The service advisor couldn't stop raving about their work. I spent a good 5 minutes talking to him over the phone and apparently they've tried out 7 different guys that did some pretty bad jobs. They've been using them for over a year and the SA said not one complaint. That's prett good in my book, so I gave premiere a call for an appointment for the Gallardo. Very professional and very clean shop. The bra job came out better than I expected as I've seen some at shows and events that are pretty noticeable. When I came back to get the car, I was a little disappointed because I thought they didn't start on my G yet. It was that good.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Is this just a spam-and-run given the whois shows a registrant of Marc Pranovi?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paint Shield done my red R8 too. Proper nice job, with a guy (Tom) who clearly loves his business and knows his stuff. Well worth the price, and virtually invisible.

·
Registered
482 Posts
R8 here at the dealer, but will keep driving to a minimal as my appointment with premiere is in 3 weeks. :(

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Go ahead and drive it; Murphy says you won't get any chips until the evening before your film appointment :mad:

BTW, the Audi dealer today recommended using Plexus plastic polish to wax the film. Haven't tried it yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts