Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a rare opportunity to do some performance testing on an empty track.

Not wanting to wear the clutch too much, acceleration tests were kept to the minimum. Here's what happened.

0 - 60 mph (best of three) 4.4 seconds
0-100 mph (best of three) 10.5 seconds

This is a factory standard car using factory tyres on a dry track.

The car is manual, so times depend as much on the driver as the car !

More than happy with the above, all measured with a Racelogic "Driftbox" which measure speed, acceleration and G force by GPS.

However, top speed was a little disappointing.

On a 2 mile straight, I could get no more than 170 mph before runing out of road. The rate of acceleration drops dramatically when you hit 165 mph. Still accelerating, but slowly.

Nonetheless, grip and stability at this speed was just incredible, as was 170 - 0 braking !!!!

Has any member got a higher top speed ???

Oh, one other point. GPS speed from Driftbox was 170 mph, R8 digital tach was reading 174 mph. Only 2% error at this speed. Impressive.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You will need around 60s for 0-300km/h run... When friend and I tested R8(manual) few months ago I was able to bring it to 302km/h(digital tacho) on very, very long straight autobahn(it was 5am and autobahn was empty). As you said after 260km/h acceleration is not forcefull any more. Key for that is aerodynamics-R8 produce some downforce which is very rare even amoung its competitors...

R8-awsome car indeed...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you can..........

Would not want to try it anyway, as it would reduce downforce and therefore traction !

Not fun to come adrift at those speeds.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I presume the spoiler is there for cornering downforce, like the Veyron.

The 'high speed' mode of the Veyron lowers the suspension and retracts the rear spoiler in order to go faster. Obviously the Veyron was designed in this way, but unless you plan to do some sweeping curves at around 187mph, I would GUESS that it is OK to deactivate the spoiler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts