Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to Jack my car up really high and place axle stands under so I can work on it.
How would I go about doing this ?
Asking because it’s not a car I’m familiar with, thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You certainly can lift the car from the middle at either side and put support under the corners. But... I’d be worried about stability while you are jacking up the ”other side”. Let me rephrase it; I won’t do it.

There are low cost alternatives, such as QuickJack, to lift the car from four corners. why don’t you give them a try?

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a recent post on this, with a video. It might still be on the first page. It turns out there is a single lift spot in the middle of the car. You need a special puck for that. And there are 4 factory lift pad spots as well. Essentially: lift from the middle. Put jack stands under the lift points on that side. Lift the other side from the middle. Put jack stands under that side.

-td

·
Registered
318 Posts
there are 4 factory lift pad spots as well. Essentially: lift from the middle. Put jack stands under the lift points on that side. Lift the other side from the middle. Put jack stands under that side.
That was exactly what I was recommending against. You can lift the car on the middle (using the puck) but remember the lift points at the corners are flat. If you simply put jack stands to those corners, they have nothing to secure themselves against movement. When you are lifting from the other side, that side will lose contact with the ground as well. At that point, the only thing holding your car is friction between the jack stands and now-tilted corners of your car.

I do not think I can trust that...

·
Registered
256 Posts
i would never do this to my r8...probably a regular car but definitely not any r8.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Watch the video. It’s definitely doable.

Edit: here's the link for those that couldn't find it: Just started a new channel on YouTube for do it yourself R8 stuff

That how I put my GT3 on stands. It’s not that hard... I've also used Rhino ramps to help out. But using the jack is fine.

That was exactly what I was recommending against. You can lift the car on the middle (using the puck) but remember the lift points at the corners are flat. If you simply put jack stands to those corners, they have nothing to secure themselves against movement. When you are lifting from the other side, that side will lose contact with the ground as well. At that point, the only thing holding your car is friction between the jack stands and now-tilted corners of your car.
Isn't this is how you put every other car on jack stands? Essentially lift car somewhere. Put stands on one side. Lift car somewhere else. Put stands on other side. How would you do it otherwise on an R8? It's an expensive car, but still a car...

-td

·
Registered
331 Posts
yup. ^^ This! I lift my car this way all the time. haven't had any issues yet. once you have one side up on stands and lift from middle of the other side. the jack will roll outwards with the weight of the car once the wheels come off the ground. Didn't seem unsafe to me at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys.
Next question is how high do I need to lift the car to be able to remove the diff etc ?

·
Chassis Engineer
135 Posts
Safety and damage are the main issues (and the amount of time) with the jack stand route with a closed out underneath and four specific locations for jacking points on the R8...other than driving the car onto ramps high enough to the height you want and then place jack stands as well. As noted above, the Quick Jack is a great option that gives you two secure heights in 5 minutes. Safe and great access underneath and around the car. Less than a thousand dollars, small and portable...I throw it in the trailer or the back of the Touareg for use at the track or anywhere with 110 v power. The pictures are for the BL-5000 SLX. One of the best "tools" I have purchased by far. Yes, I did have some leaking issues (one bleed screw and two quick release fittings), which they sent replacement parts for pretty quickly. Not an issue since.

·
Chassis Engineer
135 Posts
Yes you can quick disconnect the lines/pump after the lift is on the locks. The pressure won't let you otherwise though I forced it once by accident. Not a good idea. Definitely always run it to the locks.

But removing these lines for working around the car is really nice. Then when ready to go down ...reconnect them.

The quick disconnects have a little pin and recess that must be lined up to allow them to disconnect.

·
Registered
256 Posts
wow...that's the lift/jack i need in my garage. thanks for sharing scott!

·
Chassis Engineer
135 Posts
Absolutely, Audiction! I use it constantly. It is so good. Performance, package, support and value. Those two jacks store under one of my work benchs when not in use. Almost perfect for me...its unfortunate that they still have some niggling leaking issues, but they gave me replacement parts quickly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One of the best investments I made for under $1K. Lifting 4 sides is no brainer. I also use them to lift only the front or the back (not too high, just a few inches) by placing them sides ways.

The only problem I have is the hoses lying around (yes, I tried disconnecting them without resting them on the locks. Just want to have the locks and pressure as back ups to each other, in case one fails...)

One last warning, the two sides move up and down independently. If one of the pistons behaves badly, you can end up lifting/dropping one side only....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts