Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the first commercial what do they mean by "old luxury just got put on notice? I know it was inspired by the Godfather but I wasn't a fan of that.

In the second ad, did Audi really start the mid-engine configuration? Were there other Audi cars that had the engine in the middle? And were they the first to use aluminum on a car?

In the 3rd ad, don't they mean "the car we've built the slowest". If they say "the slowest car we've ever built", doesn't that mean they built the slowest Audi?

·
Registered
193 Posts
For the last commercial, the meaning is that they build the R8 slowly (= well).

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Advertising is like politics...You can please some of the people some of the times.I am not the least bit proud of the R8 ads I have seen. We here at the forum could do alot better at convincing people to buy an R8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Advertising is like politics...You can please some of the people some of the times.I am not the least bit proud of the R8 ads I have seen. We here at the forum could do alot better at convincing people to buy an R8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Audi didn't advertise the R8 to sell R8s!

Advertising the R8 in the way they did is classic 'halo' advertising i.e. by showcasing the R8 it creates such a positive impression of the Audi brand it makes consumers buy A3s and A4s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To get back on track....

Yes Audi poineered mid engine, aluminium in automobiles and quattro...

Try searching for Auto Union type c for a quick reminder:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
To get back on track....

Now that is a car to get our hands on... too bad all I can afford is the 1:18 scale of the Auto Union

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
To get back on track....

Well, like most advertising statements, there's some stretch in there!
AUDI (or Auto Union, which in those days contained Audi) did not "invent" or begin use of the mid-engine, rear drive layout. The design WAS pioneered by Dr. Porsche, but he was working for Daimler-Benz at the time. He later did the "silver arrows" for Auto-Union. So the "DNA" is there, but the family lineage reveals some divorces and realingnments, I'm afraid. Daimler-Benz could equally claim that IT pioneered the layout in racing cars, one would have to conclude!

Quote for wikipedia:
The 1923 Benz Tropfenwagen was the first race car with mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout. It was based on an earlier design named Rumpler Tropfenwagen in 1921 made by Edmund von Rumpler, an Austrian engineer working at Daimler. The Benz tropfenwagen was designed by Ferdinand Porsche along with Willy Walb and Hans Nibel. It raced in 1923 and 1924 and was most successful in Italian Grand Prix in Monza where it stood fourth. Later, Ferdinand Porsche used mid-engine design concept towards the Auto Union Grand Prix cars of the 1930's which became the first winning MR racers.
As far as "quattro", well I seem to recall at least Miller, Ferguson and some other Indy car builder have all raced "Grand Prix" cars (either Indianapolis or F1) with awd as far back as the 50's and 30's. And the claim about alumininum construction likely has too many contradictions to even trace!

HOWEVER, Audi indeed can claim credit for diligent attention to the engineering advantages of these features and successful development and wide-spread application. I do believe Audi have demonstrated superior engineering many times and ways in their cars. But it's always a little difficult when you start to claim you were "THE FIRST" to invent these things!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts