Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please wake me up: first service after 16 months: € 4.200,-!

- First service after 16 months and 16.800 kilometers = € 630,-
- Worn rear tires € 615,- per piece = € 1.230,-
- Worn front tires € 510,- per piece = € 1.020,-
- Worn front brake discs & worn pads = €1.320,-

Total € 4.200,- :eek:

:(

This is not normal. Especially the worn discs + pads...

Car has never been on a track!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: Please wake me up: first service after 16 months: € 4.200,-!

Service cost is reasonable

Tyres - cost is high compared to UK prices but mileage / km's seem reasonable

New discs & pads - very unreasonable given that you have not tracked the car, I would expect 30,000 km's at least.

My car is the same age with 7,000 miles = 11,265 kms
Still have 50% tyre tread left, service is a long way off - variable timing, have been told that it would be about 20,000 miles or 2 years. Just keep checking the oil levels.
Not sure about break pad / disc wear, but they seem fine to me and no lights have come up yet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I agree that the tyres are normal wear, the price of the tyres is high. But for me its about the discs and pads. The wear way too fast!

What do you pay for the tyres?

·
Registered
617 Posts

I agree that the tyres are normal wear, the price of the tyres is high. But for me its about the discs and pads. The wear way too fast!

What do you pay for the tyres?
I have not had to purchase new tyres as yet, but a quick internet check gave figures of £290 for the fronts and £330 for the rears each - this included balancing and fitting.

As you can see it would pay to come on a day trip to England next time!

·
Registered
485 Posts

- First service after 16 months and 16.800 kilometers = € 630,-
- Worn rear tires € 615,- per piece = € 1.230,-
- Worn front tires € 510,- per piece = € 1.020,-
- Worn front brake discs & worn pads = €1.320,-

Total € 4.200,- :eek:

:(

This is not normal. Especially the worn discs + pads...

Car has never been on a track!
wow, that is US$5,300.00... should I have stick to Porsche C4S?

·
Registered
108 Posts

Discs are not a consumable item and should therefore be covered under warranty.
I am intrigued as to the definition of "worn discs" ? Are they warped or have they been scored by the pads having worn to the metal ?
If you haven't tracked the car then you must have been doing some consistently hard driving to have slaughtered the tyres and brakes over such a low mileage:eek:

Also a bit suspicious that you call yourself GUILTY ;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts

how much tread was left on the tyres?

I'm about 6k miles in and down to 4-5mm on the rears with a view to changing them out when they hit 3mm min which should take me into the new year.

def sounds like something is wrong with the discs wearing at such a low mileage.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I found that Dutch dealers tend to be more expensive than German or Belgian dealers.

You might be able to get a better deal next time if you order the tyres online.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

how much tread was left on the tyres?

I'm about 6k miles in and down to 4-5mm on the rears with a view to changing them out when they hit 3mm min which should take me into the new year.

def sounds like something is wrong with the discs wearing at such a low mileage.
My rears where completely flat. Different rubber was becoming visible (lighter color). :D

On the fronts I had 2,7 and 2,5 mm left, they told me.

I am intrigued as to the definition of "worn discs" ? Are they warped or have they been scored by the pads having worn to the metal ?

LOL, yes it is suspicious. As I can recall, my brakes where fine, no warping or whatsoever. I didn't check it before bringing my R8 in. Darn.

I agree the discs should be replaced under warranty.

I found that Dutch dealers tend to be more expensive than German or Belgian dealers.

You might be able to get a better deal next time if you order the tyres online.
I certainly will try to do that! My main concerns are the brakes and the pads at this moment.

·
Registered
193 Posts

My main concerns are the brakes and the pads at this moment.
Off the top of my head my R8 has about 16,000 km right now, and the tires still look good. I'm guessing that the disks and pads are fine too.

I'm probably going around corners slower than you. High speed autobahn cruising doesn't cause as much wear and tear.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I have replaced tyre sets for around £1000 here in the UK, and the timing sounds about right.

The Discs and pad situation, well it all depends on how worn they were... But im my experience i would say that probably discs were not needed and maybe just pads if anything. The discs would not be warranty as they are a wear and tear item, unless they were excessivly warped within the first 1000 miles or something...

·
Registered
108 Posts

The Discs and pad situation, well it all depends on how worn they were... But im my experience i would say that probably discs were not needed and maybe just pads if anything. The discs would not be warranty as they are a wear and tear item, unless they were excessivly warped within the first 1000 miles or something...
I would disagree with that - nearly all car warranties state that certain items (including discs) are excluded because they are "fair wear and tear" items . The Audi warranty states exactly that and is generally a caveat to cover unreasonable abuse by the owner (track day usage being the common example) but any Court - at least in the UK - would consider discs not fit for purpose if they didn't survive "standard " driving style during the 3year/60K miles manufacturer's warranty.

Netherlands may of course be governed by different rules but I certainly would refuse to pay for new discs under the circumstances described and would fully expect to win any ensuing Court action - but amazed if the manufacturer allowed it to get that far

·
Registered
31 Posts

If you haven't tracked the car then you must have been doing some consistently hard driving to have slaughtered the tyres and brakes over such a low mileage:eek:

I think you will find that discs most definitely are a consumable item......which is why they have minimum thickness (wear indicators) on them! Not sure who told you the were not consumable, but point me in thier direction, they can service my car

*Obviously if there is a "manufacturing defect" with the disc then it will be replaced under warranty. This is usually within the first x-months and xxxx klm, depending on the market.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I think you will find that discs most definitely are a consumable item......which is why they have minimum thickness (wear indicators) on them! Not sure who told you the were not consumable, but point me in thier direction, they can service my car

*Obviously if there is a "manufacturing defect" with the disc then it will be replaced under warranty. This is usually within the first x-months and xxxx klm, depending on the market.
I previously had an XKR and at the 2nd service when it was 2 years old (17K miles) I reported slight brake judder. When I collected the car the Dealer reported that they found the front discs warped so had replaced them under warranty :)

Perhaps I should have bought another Jaguar !!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I had to pay for the discs and pads. No warrantee for me :(

·
Registered
22 Posts

This makes me even happier that I purchased the VAG cable for my A6.
The dealer wanted $799 for a rear brake job. :eek:(pads and rotors) Since I have the electronic e-brake, the VAG cable is needed to retract the rear calipers or $$$$ damage will occur. I purchased OEM or better parts on-line for $163 and replaced them myself in about an hour!! Cable was $349. Total outlay for this brake job was $512. They will just get cheaper......

The cable will work for my R8 too.:D

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

I agree, I change out my pads and rotors, it's not difficult to do and saves a ton of buck$. I also sprang for that Audi Care (I think that's the name of it) when I bought the car which prepays for all the scheduled maintenances for numerous years and costs a lot less. Won't cover consumables like brakes though.

Something else to do (at least here in the USA) is to join the Audi club. That entitles you to 10% off parts at the Audi dealer. 2 front rotors here cost $800 USD, so that's $80 off. It costs $40 to join the club, and that is quickly recouped.

mt

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

Something else to do (at least here in the USA) is to join the Audi club. That entitles you to 10% off parts at the Audi dealer. 2 front rotors here cost $800 USD, so that's $80 off. It costs $40 to join the club, and that is quickly recouped.mt
And while we're pitching ACNA..... for all of you with orders in, be sure to join because you'll get $500 back on your purchase! There was a 3 month member requirement last year, now it's 6 which may be marginal with the current accelerated delivery schedules, but here's the detail...

http://audiclubna.org/

Audi of America and Audi Club NA are pleased to announce the continuation of the ACNA Member Loyalty Program in 2009. The 2008 program was a great success and appreciated by many members purchasing or leasing Audis.

Audi of America and Audi of Canada will reward ACNA members' loyalty to the Audi brand by providing a $500 cash incentive to members who purchase or lease a new or Certified Pre-owned Audi.

The ACNA Member Loyalty Program rules are simple:

* Be an ACNA member in good standing for at least six months prior to the date of purchase or lease
* Purchase or lease any model new or Certified Pre Owned Audi from an authorized Audi dealer from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009
* Download the Loyalty Program Claim form from the ACNA website (audiclubna.org) and submit it with the required documentation to the National Office before January 31, 2010
* No exceptions to rules

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts

Re "Audi Care" and consumable items, etc.:
I'm interested in the details of "Audi Care". Likely will consider it when the day eventually comes with an R8. My '98 A6 had, of course, the std. "full maintainence"
deal in effect in those days. I was amazed when, @ appr. 35k mi., they offered to replace the pads and rotors at n/c!! I suspect Audi Care is not as generous as the Audi
included maintainence of 10 yrs ago. Am I correct?

Does Audi offer "wheel and tire" insurance? Volvo does, and that was a huge boon
to Volvo "R" model owners (especially in chuck hole afflicted NE US)who suffered a lot of tire and wheel damage with the /40 series low profile P-Zero Pirellis that came standard on the R. Anyone have that on your R8 and has it saved you any $ ?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

Yes, the Audi (USA) dealer offered a ton of add on protection packages. Here's what I got, which is a subset of all they offered:

Audi Care New Vehicle - pays for scheduled maintenance at 15K, 25K, 35K, and 45K miles (the 5K service is automatically included with the purchase). It cost $650. That is a major savings in the long run.

Tire and Wheel Road Hazard Deluxe coverage - 5 years for tires and wheels up to $5K total coverage. Does cover bent wheels due to pot holes. Cost $790, which is a little over half the price of just one of my 4 wheels.

ResistAll Enviro/Guard Appearance Protection - 5 year warrantee on exterior painted surfaces against oxidation, bird droppings, insects, tree sap, road salt, sand abrasion, acid rain and accidental paint overspray. Also included Interior Fabric, Vinyl and Leather 5 year protection against fading, cracking, permanent staining to carpets and interior surfaces caused by food, drink, lipstick, makeup, vomit (that's one I need!), pets, chewing gum, ultraviolet exposure, and more, includes $25/day rental car reimbursement. Cost $795

Carefree Car Protection (extended service contract). I got the most comprehensive Platinum package, which is bumper to bumper except for the normal consumables such as brakes and tires for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Cost $4451 which is about the price of one serious repair. Every car I've ever bought this for paid for it many times over.

LoJack - $795

Clear bra - full hood, nose, and more $1400 I think.

And I did get the ACNA $500 payback, which is nice since this is the first Audi I've ever owned :D. But I had joined the club a few years ago because I had to in order to instruct for their HPDE track events.

mt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts