Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While keeping an eye out for magazines with R8 articles in I came across an interesting article in ... Issue 1 Volume 11, the January 2007, issue of ... "Audi Driver".

It centres around Morten Technik Mayer's (MTM) supercharged RS4 ... named MTM RS4 K540 in the article ... which gives the high revving V8 approximately an extra 28% more power and approximately 30% more torque ... the MTM tweaked RS4 returns figures of 540PS and 560Nm (532bhp and 413lb/ft) ... the virtually bolt on system gives boost of just 0.4bar and means no change to the compression ratio is required and an intercooler built in to the intake manifold that sits between the cylinder-heads and supercharger helps reduce pipe lengths and prevent pressure loss in the system.

Other modifications area available from MTM for the RS4 ... namely a free flowing sports exhaust ... possibly of MTM's own design ... increased braking ability with larger diameter vented cross drilled floating discs ... and suspension lowered by between 25mm and 60mm from the standard ride height.

Figures from the article include the following mouth watering ones ...
0-62mph (0-100kmh) = 3.9sec ... :p
0-125mph (0-200kmh) = 11.3sec ... :)
Remove the limiter and its good for 199mph (320kmh) ... :D

MTM expect to get more interest from R8 owners for the supercharger conversion ... which with the better aeodynamics of the R8 should easily put the top speed of the R8 over the 200mph mark ... at 20,000Euros (approx £14,000) it would put the R8's basic price up to about £91,000 in the UK ... before optional extras ... and could quite easily have it beating all kinds of other supercars ... regardless of badge or price ... with a few exceptions obviously.

The nature of the components used in the supercharger conversion means the engine retains its free revving nature and makes it even more addictive than the standard RS4 engine ... to quote the article directly ... "throttle position is directly linked to the width of your grin".

Summary of words and impressions from an article by Ian Kuah in the magazine previously mentioned in this post.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice, but on audiworld.com they are not so confinced about the quality of MTM.

And do the chargers ruin the looks of the engine?

And the behaviour of a NA engine is so much nicer than a Turbo engine.

I'll stick a free flowing Milltek Exhaust and a ECU remap. Maybe It will give the R8 an extra 30Bhp, that's enough for me!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Paul,
I talked pretty extensively about tuning stuff for RS4 or R8, including MTM.
In short-conversaion like MTM will short RS4 engine life to maximally 40000km!!
Audi Technicall Department already has lot of headache with some tuner ideas...

They said "... we did not designed wondefull NA V8 in R8 Or RS4 as engine for aaftermarket turbo or kompressor chargers. If costumer decide to do that he will loose all factory warrany and probably kill the engine sooner or later!"

Want to play with tuning? Buy old 330hp Toyota Supra and build yourself 600hp monster. Just my humble opinion...;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, but on audiworld.com they are not so confinced about the quality of MTM.
Don't know much about MTM to be honest ... saw the article and thought it was very interesting ... obviously reliability and unwanted side effects would need to be known before I even thought about having such a conversion carried out ... especially if it was for the R8.
And do the chargers ruin the looks of the engine?
The picture of the modified engine bay after MTM's conversion was not so good ... large aluminium block replaced the nice curves of the top covers over the V8 ... although maybe these could be powercoated in a suitable shade of ... maybe gunmetal grey.
And the behaviour of a NA engine is so much nicer than a Turbo engine.
This isn't a turbo but a supercharger ... there is quite a difference between the two ... although some superchargers do take a lot of power to run and can be almost as detremental as they are helpful ... although by the sound of the write up this is not the case with this conversion due to the choice of components.
I'll stick a free flowing Milltek Exhaust and a ECU remap. Maybe It will give the R8 an extra 30Bhp, that's enough for me!
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me ... go for it ... :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,
I talked pretty extensively about tuning stuff for RS4 or R8, including MTM.
In short-conversaion like MTM will short RS4 engine life to maximally 40000km!!
Audi Technicall Department already has lot of headache with some tuner ideas...

They said "... we did not designed wondefull NA V8 in R8 Or RS4 as engine for aaftermarket turbo or kompressor chargers. If costumer decide to do that he will loose all factory warrany and probably kill the engine sooner or later!"
I would be very cautious about modifying the RS4 engine ... like Audi have said ... they have taken a great deal of time to build a fantastic engine ... or put it another way ... why try and make it better by taking shortcuts ... which like they say will inevitably shorten the life of the engine.
Want to play with tuning? Buy old 330hp Toyota Supra and build yourself 600hp monster. Just my humble opinion...;)
lol ... indeed ... or maybe save yourself the expense and not bother at all ... lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Presumably the 4.2 V8 lump in the RS4 isn't a WORLD apart from the 4.2 V8 lump in the B6 S4, apart from the FSI and a few other bits - but in principal, I presume its the same?

I also presume that the 4.2 V8 lump in the S4 isn't a WORLD apart from the 4.2 V8 in the RS6, apart from a pair of turbos...

Ho hum.

Audi are happy to "blow" their own engines then...?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Presumably the 4.2 V8 lump in the RS4 isn't a WORLD apart from the 4.2 V8 lump in the B6 S4, apart from the FSI and a few other bits - but in principal, I presume its the same?

I also presume that the 4.2 V8 lump in the S4 isn't a WORLD apart from the 4.2 V8 in the RS6, apart from a pair of turbos...

Ho hum.

Audi are happy to "blow" their own engines then...?
To the best of my knowledge the RS4 V8 has:
new connecting rods ...
a new crank ...
new camshafts ...
new cylinder heads ...
and new pistons.

I think the ... block, crankcase and the rest of the major components are more or less the same ... but a lot of work and new components went in to create an engine capable of revving to 8,250rpm ... strapping a turbo or two or a supercharger on any engine will excert more stresses on it than it was possibly designed to take ... although you may come across engines that can take more power than they were originally producing without risk of them tearing themselves apart.

But ... all the above is just ... ttbomk ... maybe Kreso will be able to clarify the major differences between the various 4.2 V8 lumps that Audi have used ... :confused:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Actually you are pretty wrong...

Why?

First materials used for R8/RS4 engines are different then those used for S4 engine. Yes, FSI is another difference as well as cylinder head design...

RS6(old model) is 4172ccm engine with belt for DOHC drive. R8/RS4 is 4163ccm engine with chain for DOHC drive...

Old RS6 use 5 ventiles pro cylinder as is S4.

All in all RS6 do not share any part at all with R8/RS4...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shows how much I know then ... which seems to be very very very little ... lol

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul,
I was refering to the jampoTTs post, not yours.
I did think you were referring to JampoTT's post ... but either way I was obviously very much mistaken in what I thought was new about the RS4 engine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Less speculation more fact please !!!!

I have had two RS4's (original 2.7 biturbo). Both had the MTM conversion from 380 to 420 BHP.

Car #1 was converted as soon as I bought it - I drove to MTM in Germany. Facilities at their factory were excellent. The conversion to 420 BHP was done with a money back guarantee and full warranty. I drove back to UK, achieving 179 mph. Might have got 1-3 mph higher, but simply ran out of road !!!

I sold the car having covered over 60,000 miles. No problems at all during this time. Also, minimal or no change in fuel efficiency.

I also had a chance to try their 460 BHP conversion (a lot more expensive). Totally unbelievable !!!! Unfortunateky, my budget did not extend that far at the time.

Car #2 was bought secondhand and had had the same conversion from new. This has now done 50,000 miles and is still going stong.

MTM have been around for many years, were set up by former Audi employees and are only 5 miles from Ingolstadt. There is a great deal of communication between the two.

In any event all conversions are German TUV approved.

I personally recommend the company and their products.

Would I have an MTM converted R8 V8 at around £14,000 ??

No, simply because you don't get this back on resale and insurance premiums for modified cars are higher.

You would do better to spend £20,000 - £25,000 more and get the R8 V10 next year.

Yes, mine was ordered a long time ago !!!

If any body is interested, I think I still have photos of MTM's facilities taken a few years ago. Just send me a private message.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i also have heard alot of good things about mtm but they haven't actualy realesed the supercharger conversion on the rs4 yet and may not i remember reading an article from mtm saying so ill try to find the thread , i think the reason for this is they can't get it running right but it is available for the s4

·
Registered
77 Posts
MTM's supecharger is priced ridiculously and gives very crappy gains for the money.

A centrifugal blower lends itself much better to the type of powerband in the V8. The reason there isn't a centrifugal blower available for the S4 or RS4 is lack of space under the hood. The R8 will not have this problem, and I expect someone to come out with one at an actually reasonable price.

·
Registered
617 Posts
All these possible modifications !!! Are we not loosing the plot about the R8 ???

Firstly any mods will invalidate your 3 year warranty from Audi.

Secondly, the reason we went for the R8 was the purity and simplicity of its awesome design inside and out.

Thirdly, you want more power, wait for the V10 or V12 - surely the hardship of waiting 12 - 15 months is no worse than all the years we have waited for the V8

And to finish, what do you think will happen to your residuals on a heavily modified car, save your money put your name down for a V10........:) :) :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
All these possible modifications !!! Are we not loosing the plot about the R8 ???

Firstly any mods will invalidate your 3 year warranty from Audi.

Secondly, the reason we went for the R8 was the purity and simplicity of its awesome design inside and out.

Thirdly, you want more power, wait for the V10 or V12 - surely the hardship of waiting 12 - 15 months is no worse than all the years we have waited for the V8

And to finish, what do you think will happen to your residuals on a heavily modified car, save your money put your name down for a V10........:) :) :)

A ECU remap is harmless, a Milltek System also.

Want to know how the R8 could sound? http://www.millteksport.com/media.file.cfm?fileid=398 This one is non-resonated, there is also a resonated version, less loud.

Milltek is the king of sound. I'm so happy with the system on my S4 V8, it's excellent! Sound is spot on, power increase is superb and the remap is also very nice.

On the dyno my S4 delivered 379bhp (dyno before the mods gave 336bhp)

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A fair point ... I put the details up because I know many people are dable in the arena of engine and performance mods ... they're not for me ... but it would be interesting to increase the engine power by almost 30% ... in either the RS4 ot the R8 ... but mine will be remaining standard ... then I can trade it in easily for a V10 ... open top of course ... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be re-mapping mine when I get it. I will let everyone know how much HP there is left in the car with a good tune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts