Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I was kind of surprised these were optional. Porsche provides electric seats standard, and then offers their sport seats as an option with manual adjustments. Since my R8 will definitely be seeing significant track time, maybe the much lighter weight manual seat without all the electric motors makes sense. (seeing Audi went through all the trouble to design an Aluminum Space Framed 2 seater weighing "only" 3500lbs...)
My only concern is if there is a real height adjustment capability in the manual seats. My experience with manual seats in the past has been they generally "rock" back and forth for height adjustment actually changing the tilt of the seat bottom, not really raising the seat. Power seats usually motorize the front AND back of the seat bottoms for true height adjustment.
Anyone know what Audi has cooked up for the manual versions of the seats?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've asked about the 'standard' and 'electric' seats in the options pack and what current Audi seats are the closest examples ... when I get some answers I'll let you know.

As far as I am aware ... until I hear back from my dealer ... the seats will be very close to the seats in the new TT ... not sure if thats the manual and electric ... but I'll let you know if I find out.

I don't believe the standard seats will be the same as those used in the RS4 ... which is a shame as they really are great seats!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Standard seats are almost the same as in new TT. BTW, standard seats-in manual or electric form are very good indeed. I was able to seat in R8 and they are great IMHO.
Bucket seats will be optional for Europe, but NOT for USA. Why? No sidebags on bucket seats-safety regulations in USA...
Bucket seats are almost the same one as in RS4.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Standard seats are almost the same as in new TT. BTW, standard seats-in manual or electric form are very good indeed. I was able to seat in R8 and they are great IMHO.
Bucket seats will be optional for Europe, but NOT for USA. Why? No sidebags on bucket seats-safety regulations in USA...
Bucket seats are almost the same one as in RS4.
Yep, standard seats ... manual and electric ... will be pretty much the same (if not exactly the same) as teh new TT.

Not sure about the bucket seats as used in the RS4 ... there's no mention of them as an option in my pack ... guess I'll be sending my dealer yet another question!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Paul,
I have the pics but, they are too big to post here.
It's fairly straight forward to use photo application software ... i.e. PhotoShop ... to open a file and reduce the filesize ... either by reducing the image dimensions ... and or ... increasing the compression of a jpeg image in the options ... don't forget to work from copies of the originals when you're trying to reduce the filesize.

One of ... or a combination of ... the above should enable you to post images to the gallery on this site.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Fourtitude is very useful ... they do have an extensive gallery of images ... I've managed to find a couple of reasonable shots of R8's at the Paris Unvieling and the Motor Show itself ... two are of the electric seats ... very similar to (if not the same as) the seats in the new TT ... two are of the manual seats ... very similar to the new/current RS4 seats ...
Electric seats ...

Manual seats ...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Standard seats are in manual or electric form are almost the same as seats in new TT(Mustang Brown seats in pics that Paul took from Fourtitude).
Electric adjustment is optional on standard seats.
Bucket seats(Black one in Paul's pics) are optional quattro Gmbh item. These bucket seats are manual adjustment only and they have NO sidebags. This is the reason that bucket seats will NOT be available in USA. Other markets late winter/early Spring 2007. But, NOT on first production run of R8s as far as I heard...

·
Registered
190 Posts
In case people are not aware allot of new TT owners have complained about the seats. It seems that they are not very good in holding people in and that the side bolsters have already started to wear down and crease and a few owners are trying to them changed under warranty. I wouldnt suggest going for them if they are the same as the TT.

Funny how an 80K car gets the same seats as a 30K one.:(
Thats made my decison for me now.

pics from a one week old TT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it really accurate the comment about no bucket seats for US? I mean so many cars out there do not have seats with side air bags and still are sold in the US. Any comments?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These bucket seats are manual adjustment only and they have NO sidebags. This is the reason that bucket seats will NOT be available in USA.
Side airbags are not a US mandate (yet - tire pressure monitoring on the otherhand will be in '07 so that's one option we'll get "free").
If the "bucket" sport seats aren't available in the US it's more likely because they appear to be configured for a 4 (or more) point safety harness and may not ALSO be compatible with a 3 point safety belt (due to the extended shoulder bolsters) which IS mandated for road use.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just one question-do you know about Ferrari F430 problems in USA market regarding airbag system?
If not, do a little research...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes. That's the point. R8 buckets are almost the same as RS4 buckets and we all know that these are not available in USA. The only difference between R8 and RS4 buckets is in leather style.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just a quick update regarding going for the electric seats ... specifying this option will add 9kg to the weight of the car (official response from Audi) ... not sure if the RS4 style bucket seats will weigh any less than the standard manual seats ... if they do, the weight difference probably won't be as much as the electric upgrade ... imho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts