Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on year 7 with my PPF - XPEL Ultimate. The manufacturer has a 10 year guarantee on it, and so far so good. But it does have me thinking about when the day comes that I'll need or want to replace it.

I drive the R8 nearly exclusively on country back roads, so it's not seeing a lot of debris that you'd get from the highway. As far as I can tell, the PPF is in perfect condition. There are no tears, edges coming up, discoloring, or anything that I could point to. So, I figured as long as it's in good shape, I wouldn't necessarily look to replace it. But I was wondering if I SHOULD, regardless, at some point just due to age. The 10 year mark? Just to get a fresh layer on?

I'm curious to hear from folks who have done it. I had Larry from AmmoNYC do the current PPF installation. He and his team were great, so I figured I'd likely seek him out again for this.

For the folks who have removed and reinstalled PPF - what are your lessons? When did you choose to do it?

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
As the saying goes, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it!
sounds like a good product and install if it’s in such great shape after 7 years

Reactions: need2speed

·
Registered
680 Posts
while my stek is in great condition after 6 years, you can tell a tiny bit of yellowing especially on a white car. The installer (doesnt have to be original installer) asked me to wait a couple of years for it to yellow even more and it will be replaced under warranty. The yellowing doesnt bother me, but all the chips and rips from canyon driving certainly makes me want to refresh it.
If your is in great condition with no yellowing (might be harder to see on a red car, unless you have bare metal to compare in sunlight), I probably wouldnt replace it. But generally there will be yellowing and loss of self healing properties between year 7-10

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd honestly reach back out to Larry and get his take on it. He's buys as hell so won't just take the job to make some cash ya know. If he says lets replace it, then go for it. If he says let it go a bit longer, then do that. He's not going to steer you wrong or bilk you for money...

If I lived a bit closer he'd be doing mine when it comes time to change it out, but I'm out on Nantucket so dropping the car off all the way down there is a pain.

- Travis

PS....AMMO NYC on EVERTHING!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
EZ, I too have Xpel Ultimate on my car since 2015 - full coverage. It is in perfect condition still, NO yellowing, lifting - anything that would imply a re-do. I chatted with my installer and he told me to leave it alone and continue my drill (clean easily when dusty/dirty, every 6 months or so, when I feel the need for some personal therapy between myself and the car, apply and wipe down with the Xpel cleaner/sealer). Then, between those times with the rinsings I use Torque Detail's Ceramic Spray to boost the Xpel Fusion put on a few years ago.

You know, Xpel has the ability to self-heal small scratches and nicks with heat - usually the sun is enough, but if you have a fresh (emphasis) or larger nick, a heat gun will accelerate/aid this process. It won't heal a gash, or severe wrinkle, but stuff like a steel wool scratch or 1/16" nick, usually pretty well will ...

My installer would be only to happy for me to spend another $5-7K to rip off the old and install the newer-better film, BUT I am his customer for life cuz he's a great guy and looks out for me well - I'm taking his advice on this, my car still looks new - it's in our showroom (easier for me to admire daily) and still folks think in wonder that it's almost 9 years old.

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EZ, I too have Xpel Ultimate on my car since 2015 - full coverage. It is in perfect condition still, NO yellowing, lifting - anything that would imply a re-do. I chatted with my installer and he told me to leave it alone and continue my drill (clean easily when dusty/dirty, every 6 months or so, when I feel the need for some personal therapy between myself and the car, apply and wipe down with the Xpel cleaner/sealer). Then, between those times with the rinsings I use Torque Detail's Ceramic Spray to boost the Xpel Fusion put on a few years ago.

You know, Xpel has the ability to self-heal small scratches and nicks with heat - usually the sun is enough, but if you have a fresh (emphasis) or larger nick, a heat gun will accelerate/aid this process. It won't heal a gash, or severe wrinkle, but stuff like a steel wool scratch or 1/16" nick, usually pretty well will ...

My installer would be only to happy for me to spend another $5-7K to rip off the old and install the newer-better film, BUT I am his customer for life cuz he's a great guy and looks out for me well - I'm taking his advice on this, my car still looks new - it's in our showroom (easier for me to admire daily) and still folks think in wonder that it's almost 9 years old.
Thanks Roger - sounds like we're in a similar boat. I don't over-wash it (mainly because it's not an interest of mine!), and it lives in the garage, so there's no excessive exposure to heat, sun or elements - I'm sure that's helped to keep it healthy. Looks very good. I've not noticed even one nick or imperfection - again, mainly because it doesn't see roads where there's otherwise tons of debris flying at you from 18 wheelers, dump trucks, and the like.

Funny that you keep yours in the showroom - just taunting the customers there, I see! I'm sure some of them would be shocked to learn that it's almost 9 years old... and even more shocked to learn that it's worth more now than it was new! :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Despite the 10 year mark claims, PPS gets harder and harder to remove the The longer it sits. Most professional wrap/detail places charge for PPF removal for a reason, because it sucks. I would consider replacing it, did you do the entire car or just the front clip?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry is the best -sounds expensive!
Yes, it was quite expensive - about $9,200 with the full paint correction included. But it's been a great investment.

Best part of the experience was getting to sit with Larry and hear stories of the "Blackbird R8" :)

I'd honestly reach back out to Larry and get his take on it. He's buys as hell so won't just take the job to make some cash ya know. If he says lets replace it, then go for it. If he says let it go a bit longer, then do that. He's not going to steer you wrong or bilk you for money...

If I lived a bit closer he'd be doing mine when it comes time to change it out, but I'm out on Nantucket so dropping the car off all the way down there is a pain.

- Travis

PS....AMMO NYC on EVERTHING!
Yes, I think I'll reach back out to him and get his advice. Larry did my first install at SpeedSport Tuning by the airport in Danbury - I haven't seen his own shop that was built thereafter. But that area is definitely attracting more high-end car folks between shops, storage facilities, and more recently Glickenhaus' new company.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Despite the 10 year mark claims, PPS gets harder and harder to remove the The longer it sits. Most professional wrap/detail places charge for PPF removal for a reason, because it sucks. I would consider replacing it, did you do the entire car or just the front clip?
Yes, I've heard that as well. It's a full car installation.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Funny that you keep yours in the showroom - just taunting the customers there, I see! I'm sure some of them would be shocked to learn that it's almost 9 years old... and even more shocked to learn that it's worth more now than it was new! :)

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

View from my office - much better than walking past it twice a day in the garage at home under a cover ...

Font Material property Rectangle Poster Parallel

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Free temperature controlled storage! How often are you driving it?

View from my office - much better than walking past it twice a day in the garage at home under a cover ...

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
xPel installer here.

If it has not visibly yellowed, leave it.
The process for removal is awful. Larry has done a few “how to’s” on this.
It’s a massive labor rabbit hole.... once you start, there’s no way to punch out part way.

Also, a big fan of Larry’s work - that paint under the film will be fantastic.
Whatever he says is gospel. The guy works harder than 10 men!

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xPel installer here.

If it has not visibly yellowed, leave it.
The process for removal is awful. Larry has done a few “how to’s” on this.
It’s a massive labor rabbit hole.... once you start, there’s no way to punch out part way.

Also, a big fan of Larry’s work - that paint under the film will be fantastic.
Whatever he says is gospel. The guy works harder than 10 men!
Thank you for the advice! Is there any risk of leaving it "too long"? As mentioned above, I've heard the same elsewhere, that it can get harder to remove? Any risk of paint damage at that point?

I'll probably reach back out to Larry and get his insights, too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roger, that's fantastic! I wish I could stare at my R8 all day. The best I can do is models on the shelf behind me... the folks I'm chatting with on WebEx and Zoom all day long get to see them more than me, however! It does spark some interesting discussion.

So, despite the "not for sale" printed prominently... how often do you get an offer? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Original paint is very strong.

And the process to remove.... well there's a bunch of techniques.
None of them can be done quickly or the risk of damages increases.

It's best to leave it until there's damage that drives you nuts, or the film has failed.

True story, I don't have ppf on my own cars.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Original paint is very strong.

And the process to remove.... well there's a bunch of techniques.
None of them can be done quickly or the risk of damages increases.

It's best to leave it until there's damage that drives you nuts, or the film has failed.

True story, I don't have ppf on my own cars.

Thanks again for the input - that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a fantastic product.
I rarely drive the cars. Few thousand kilometers per year on any of them.

My shop is attached to my house, so no "commuting"

Yes, you can wax PPF but I prefer to polish my own paint, because that's just what I do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts