Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is some new info form PPI. Anybody that has any comments or questions on this please post before we make this move on our R8's.... It looks really nice and clean job.. I will soon be there to drive it as i did with MTM's and will then post comments..

PPI SUPERCHARGER for the R8 4.2FSI.

A whole different Supercharger than ABT or MTM.

Here are some advantages of the PPI Centrifugal Supercharger in comparison with the ABT and MTM Roots Supercharger.
• creates NO heat
• does compress air
• simple and reliable
• very few moving parts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
The pics alone look amazing compared to PES and MTM's. Like the CF "supercharged" bit too. Any numbers? Price/Gains?

Though, I'm sure it's expensive as PPI charges 4500 just for the airbox cover and it's a pain getting a contact in the US.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PPI's answer below to my questions to them over the phone:L

Please find below the requested information. I believe this information will convince you to decide on our products.

- PPI R8 Supercharger with Magnetic clutch & integrated autonomous oil lubrication.

- Our Supercharger needs less drive capacity (DISSIPATION LOSS) from the engine in comparison with the Roots Superchargers.

- Marginal Supercharging pressure of 0.4Bar 560-570HP / 580NM

- Intercooling with water-to-air heat exchanger and separate water circulation.

- Thermally better positioned than other competitors which are installing the Supercharger on top of the engine.

- The system is practically noiseless over-all the complete rpm-range, especially without “bucking” which is one of the main problems of our competitors.

- Price-performance ration to our competitors. (35.250,00EUR before tax – incl. mounting, all mounting hardware and PPI exhaust without valves – you heard the sound!!! ): "I heard it through the phone...."

- This system is completely - from A-Z - our own development, all parts of our Supercharger originate from our own production

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Approx. 50K. in U.S. money is a bit steep . But I think I like this PPI system !! :) :) I already have the Miltek,and could do install myself ,would this bring my cost closer to the other systems ? Also,now the side blades would direct air into the compressor first and then to engine intake ,no?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Approx. 50K. in U.S. money is a bit steep . But I think I like this PPI system !! :) :) I already have the Miltek,and could do install myself ,would this bring my cost closer to the other systems ? Also,now the side blades would direct air into the compressor first and then to engine intake ,no?
I'd be worried about the cooling - from a previous post I am sure I saw post regarding cooling being marginal?

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
One thing that is very wrong - "creates NO heat"... Uh, sorry, but you can't compress air w/o it heating up. It's physics.

I'm not knocking anything by PPI, just making the comment that this no heat statement is incorrect.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What if the air is chilled by the a.c. system before or after being compressed??

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
What if the air is chilled by the a.c. system before or after being compressed??
They list an intercooler as part of the package. Even with one of those, heat will still build up once the intercooler (and its cooling fluid) hits its heat-soak point. Sadly, the laws of thermodynamics apply even to an R8.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dunno if i would spend 50 k on a car thats 117 ...also its like u pay 50 k to wonder if itll stay working properly and reliable ..i would pay like 25 ..but 50 to end up always trying to fix something is ridiculuos

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Will system have to be removed and engine returned to stock in order to pass Emissions/visual tests?? Here in Cali, the smog rules are very demanding...unless you find a crook who will fudge the certificate for you. VERY risky buisness !! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I think if I wanted to increase the output of a V8 R8 I would go for turbos. Much less money and a much less intrusive install.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I thought someone said something about having to alter the engine to do turbos because of the compression ratio? If so, I'd imagine the intrusion would be the same if not worse

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You would have to can/not use, whatever exhaust system you have, for a turbo set-up . Talk about HEAT issues...twin turbos could really get h:mad:t!!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
You have to reduce compression but you should with a SC too.

Turbos make more heat locally I admit.

I have no interest in these 'custom' exhausts :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I think SC v Turbo is somewhat related to geographical preferences with turbos being somewhat preferred in Europe and SC in the USA.

I like the idea of turbos on paper and now that electronic control and small impeller size has almost completely eliminated lag I think they are hard to beat as an add on modification.

SC do have a number of advantages and I have owned two SC cars (factory fit) and they performed very well.

Personally, as some of you know, I am against the majority of after market mods as I feel that if you are going to try to add a SC or turbo etc etc, then to do it right (ie perfectly) there are so many other systems that would need to be changed it becomes a series of compromises to a car that was originally designed as a whole.

YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I agree very expensive, are there any dyno results posted?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I think SC v Turbo is somewhat related to geographical preferences with turbos being somewhat preferred in Europe and SC in the USA.

I like the idea of turbos on paper and now that electronic control and small impeller size has almost completely eliminated lag I think they are hard to beat as an add on modification.

SC do have a number of advantages and I have owned two SC cars (factory fit) and they performed very well.

Personally, as some of you know, I am against the majority of after market mods as I feel that if you are going to try to add a SC or turbo etc etc, then to do it right (ie perfectly) there are so many other systems that would need to be changed it becomes a series of compromises to a car that was originally designed as a whole.

YMMV :)
Agreed, one of the reasons Audi canned the big TDi - heat rejection figures couldn't be managed without getting monstrous with the scoops.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Will system have to be removed and engine returned to stock in order to pass Emissions/visual tests?? Here in Cali, the smog rules are very demanding...unless you find a crook who will fudge the certificate for you. VERY risky buisness !! :eek:
Probably true for any of the SC mentioned on this forum unless they have been run through the state's certification process (CARB in CA). Expensive and time consuming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts