Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there -

I've never had a PPI carried out before so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I judging from some of the horror stories I think it would be sensible to get one on an R8. I'm looking to buy a 2011-ish V10 Spyder in the UK and I'd like to know if anyone has had a PPI carried out and been happy with the service. I'm in Leeds, West Yorkshire if that makes a difference.

Also, in your experience, how do dealers/private sellers react to a customer saying that they'd need a PPI before they will purchase?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
You are definately doing the right thing in getting a PPI done. These cars are hardly known for any real horror stories (frame cracking issues aside) but it's very easy to rack-up some big bills. And, if any seller, dealer or private was to refuse one to be undertaken then run a mile. As for who to get it done by, Ricky at RE Performance in Swindon would probably be the best choice but whether or not he would have the time only he can say. IIRC, Pompeyreece on here had one done by the AA so maybe drop him a PM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trev - Ricky would definitely be my first choice, but he's 185 miles away so I think the distance will be prohibitive! I'm going to start looking for national companies who can turn up anywhere and do the inspection, it's just there seems to be a pretty bewildering choice and no way of knowing who's legit!

·
Registered
518 Posts
This guy is definitely not local but he does travel:

http://www.sportscarinspections.co.uk/

He did an inspection on my V8 before I bought it, and on another just before which I didn't end up buying. He's actually a good friend of mine but I've put him in touch with others and they've had good experiences. If you don't get any joy with anyone local – or can't get Ricky REP to travel! – he might be worth keeping in mind.

Or ask for a car you're serious about to be dropped into an Audi dealership for an inspection (at your expense of course). It's not quite the same as a regular PPI but a whole lot better than nothing. I once bought a BMW from Belfast and before I gave a deposit and flew over to collect it I had the owner drop it into the local dealer for their opinion on it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
IIRC, Pompeyreece on here had one done by the AA so maybe drop him a PM.
RAC not AA Trev, as AA don’t do R8’s unless they have changed their stance!

But RAC charge £500 for their full blown, top end documented report - well worth it. Not found anyone else who would document their findings - most indies would be verbal costing £100-£200.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
RAC not AA Trev, unless the AA have changed their stance!

But RAC charge £500 for their full blown, top end documented report - well worth it. Not found anyone else who would document their findings - most indies would be verbal costing £100-£200.
Thanks for correcting me Reece. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts