Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 R8 V10. The AC has been gone for a while and now the compressor is making a noise. Dealer quoted $3300. To repair and replace. This doesnt sound too bad. Anyone else pay close to this?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mine was under warranty but the bill was 5k. Sounds fair to me.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Before I bought my V10, I called both local dealers and got quotes for the “normal” fixes on the R8 (A/C, Clutch, Carbon Clean, etc.).

The A/C Compressor was a touch under $4400 from my more reputable dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
I'd say that sounds like a deal - most have paid $4k - $5k.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it sounded like a deal to me. Then I called a shop that has serviced my car before - awesome shop they are just always really backed up and dun dun dun- grand total $1900 parts and labor. So I told the dealer thanks but the delta is too great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's a slamming deal!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not sure if this is doable, but when I was researching the various things that could need repair before I bought my R8...I looked at the AC replacement too. Most said the R and R of the engine to access it was the big labor cost. However, there was a thread somewhere that said a shop figured out how to get it in and out without removing the engine. They got to it coming from under the car and from the side, and did have to remove some parts...but didn't have to remove the engine? May not be possible on some R8s or advisable, and if you got a quote for $1,900.00 from what I have seen....that is a great price. Still, wonder if there is a different way to change out the AC unit.?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am not sure if this is doable, but when I was researching the various things that could need repair before I bought my R8...I looked at the AC replacement too. Most said the R and R of the engine to access it was the big labor cost. However, there was a thread somewhere that said a shop figured out how to get it in and out without removing the engine. They got to it coming from under the car and from the side, and did have to remove some parts...but didn't have to remove the engine? May not be possible on some R8s or advisable, and if you got a quote for $1,900.00 from what I have seen....that is a great price. Still, wonder if there is a different way to change out the AC unit.?
The op's is a V10, so the engine doesn't need to come out anyway. It's the V8 that needs the engine out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Which is? Any one I know who's worked on the R8 reckons any other method would be just as complicated and time consuming as to be of negligible benefit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which is? Any one I know who's worked on the R8 reckons any other method would be just as complicated and time consuming as to be of negligible benefit.
Theres a video of it somewhere on youtube. Looks like a hell of a lot of effort either way.

·
Registered
Audi R8 4.2 v8 Coupe
10 Posts
I have replaced it many times. Both Audi R8 V8 and V10. Even Lamborghini Huracan is the same. Motor and gearbox are attached to the body at 4 points. Remove it and lift the engine complete with bucket and pull it backwards with a crane. The tank and frame of the car make it difficult to reach. Then you can reach it. About 4 hours of work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The video is pretty poor. Didn't give any detail at all. Looks like a V8. At the beginning he says day 2, so not like it's any quicker if it all relates to the compressor.
I have replaced it many times. Both Audi R8 V8 and V10. Even Lamborghini Huracan is the same. Motor and gearbox are attached to the body at 4 points. Remove it and lift the engine complete with bucket and pull it backwards with a crane. The tank and frame of the car make it difficult to reach. Then you can reach it. About 4 hours of work.
What's the bucket? So you're basically still removing the engine albeit not completely out of the car? What else needs to be disconnected? So in total about 10 hrs work would you say. 4 out, 4 in and a couple or so for the compressor itself.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have a 2014 R8 V10. The AC has been gone for a while and now the compressor is making a noise. Dealer quoted $3300. To repair and replace. This doesnt sound too bad. Anyone else pay close to this?

Would you like me to quote you for what it would cost at my shop? Not sure where in MA you're located but I'm just over the border in NH.

·
Registered
Audi R8 4.2 v8 Coupe
10 Posts
What's the bucket? So you're basically still removing the engine albeit not completely out of the car? What else needs to be disconnected? So in total about 10 hrs work would you say. 4 out, 4 in and a couple or so for the compressor itself.
Sorry for my bad english. I mean gearbox. You do not need to take off the engine from the car. Only need to move the engine from position. 4 hours total. TIP: remove heat shield from the sides of the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry for my bad english. I mean gearbox. You do not need to take off the engine from the car. Only need to move the engine from position. 4 hours total. TIP: remove heat shield from the sides of the car.
Interesting. And this is doable with the V8? I guess you need an engine hoist to take the weight of the engine? What other stuff needs removing? I'm guessing all the filters etc need removing to make room to pull the engine back?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts