Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Uh Oh! Its turned into a project..

Hi. I have just joined the forum having recently bought myself my dream car. A 2007 Black R8 V8 Coupe.
I have had VWs and Audi’s since I was sixteen, my first being a MK1 Golf. The R8 is obviously the top of that tree and having had a brief move into Porsche’s am back in the VAG stable again.
A number of my previous cars have been magazine featured and one even a cover car on Peformance VW magazine.
I do all mechanical and electrical work myself and am keen to understand the R8 and hopefully learn a lot from this forum, but also bring something to it too.

I am based in the UK (North west) so would be good to know who is around on this forum.

So here she is. Lots of detailing work to do first to bring it back to its best, then we shall see....

5749BD11-535F-49AB-9BB3-EAD8788B7B3B.jpg 5F5A71BF-C0D7-4FF7-9C2E-12D60762B6A2.jpg 5E14EA51-0B55-4CE7-BD5A-33DBFD366D83.jpg

·
Registered
759 Posts
Conrats and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Congrats on fulfilling your dream.

Check out our UK members Facebook page to see what meets, etc we are arranging. R8 Owners Club UK

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Congratulations on a fantastic decision! :) Enjoy it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome all.
I am just south of Manchester. Will check out the FB group cheers

Jay

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes G60 as in Corrado (well one of them was a G60).
I had various MK1 golfs, mk2, MK4, Corrado’s, etc...
This was my magazine cover car Corrado 15 years ago.

C6210C73-C396-4DE6-ACAE-841C053F3454.jpeg
0229DD95-A718-499B-9305-F6E6A78D035E.jpeg
9BC34FC0-FCF0-47E5-A19E-422201C4C85C.jpeg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi. I have just joined the forum having recently bought myself my dream car. A 2007 Black R8 V8 Coupe.
I have had VWs and Audi’s since I was sixteen, my first being a MK1 Golf. The R8 is obviously the top of that tree and having had a brief move into Porsche’s am back in the VAG stable again.
A number of my previous cars have been magazine featured and one even a cover car on Peformance VW magazine.
I do all mechanical and electrical work myself and am keen to understand the R8 and hopefully learn a lot from this forum, but also bring something to it too.

I am based in the UK (North west) so would be good to know who is around on this forum.

So here she is. Lots of detailing work to do first to bring it back to its best, then we shall see....

View attachment 231290 View attachment 231292 View attachment 231294
Same for me. Still have my 1993 Audi cabriolet, 2000 TT , 2013 Q5 and since 4 weeks a 2013 R8 V10 Spyder. What a sound and performance!
Welcome from the other side of the North Sea and let's hope for a smooth Brexit.;)

IMAG0018 (2).jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should imagine a few people have ended up in an R8 from VWs and Audi’s before it. You just get used to the little things....
Let’s hope so, I want it to be easy to drive through Europe in the future ��

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally managed to get chance to look over the new purchase. One of the Dampers is leaking as I expected but they won’t be on for long...
Otherwise looking very clean and solid.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So this weekend has been very productive. So far managed to fit a new expansion tank, so no more steamy window, while it was out I replaced all the spark plugs just for peace of mind
I also had a non latching fuel flap, so a bit of side blade removal later and it turns out the actuator is absolutely shot. The clock spring inside is all rusted up, obviously the cause of all these failing. So I am investigating options for a better solution as it’s clearly a bad design and I think I know why.....
I will properly take it apart tomorrow and post some pictures...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Some good work going on there and all credit for doing it yourself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good work going on there and all credit for doing it yourself.
Cheers. Don’t really trust anyone else to be honest

So dismantled the fuel flap actuator and it’s all rusted and seized inside. The actuator sites in an area that will get water and the top connector (the only R8 specific part of it) is not that well sealed. This is obviously why a lot of these fail. So I will use a more standard Audi actuator to replace it and seal it well so it doesn’t happen again.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a Corrado VR6 too back in 1994. Great car! wish I'd kept it but I got lured into a Fiat coupe turbo and only kept it for a year :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Progress is being made, still lots more to do but Recaro Pole Positions are in and following a test fit my Bilstein R8LMS MDS coilovers are at Bilstein for a rebuild/reconfiguration.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Realised I started this thread and then completely forgot about it. To say I have done a fair bit to the car in the last 12 months would be an understatement, so I will do my best to document the work here.

So following the fit of the Recaros I was more than keen to change the interior to black from the cream as that absolutely didn't go with the clubsport theme I had planned. After much searching I managed to source all the parts for the change from cream to black. pics......

1 - 20 of 138 Posts