Audi R8 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
^^^it looks awesome already and it's not even done yet...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So spent Father’s Day doing a pretty unique mod in a first generation R8
A fully integrated OEM Gen 2 X brace bar. Has been a lot of work this weekend but worth it. About as OEM as I could have hoped for and goes along well with the Clubsport theme of the car. Lots of custom work to make it look factory like moving the power steering reservoir into the centre. main thing is it should stiffen things up nicely.

Instagram @renshaw79 for more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Great job. Looks oem.

Reactions: Audi r8 v8 2008

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ahem - there are others following with interest...

I quite like it without the mesh inserts in the side panels, it’s a shame the expansion tank isn’t more aesthetically pleasing, although I suspect it might be on your radar now (despite already giving it attention earlier in the thread!)

Re-reading some earlier bits for reference with my own car/ project, what was involved with carpet removal and you mentioned small tweaks defining how the car handles, was this specifically just component freshness and alignment or is there anything else I should look at? My rack/ suspension appears fine and it’s very recently had alignment reset (last week) - so I a more getting a feel for it again now and wondering if there is anything else to look at. I agree that even compromised it felt fine, I guess due to the intrinsic abilities of the set up/ weight placement/tyre grip etc, but the alignment has certainly made a noticeable difference too.

Like you, and I suspect a few others, I am keen to get the car fit as possible and tweak around the edges/ keep it that way, happy to do what I can on it too. There will doubtlessly be many other avid readers that just don’t post. Keep it up and thank you for all so far!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Thanks Trev. I think it’s only you and Audidiction who read my thread

Haha - I think you would be surprised.

Reactions: g60renshaw

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Ahem - there are others following with interest...

I quite like it without the mesh inserts in the side panels, it’s a shame the expansion tank isn’t more aesthetically pleasing, although I suspect it might be on your radar now (despite already giving it attention earlier in the thread!)

Re-reading some earlier bits for reference with my own car/ project, what was involved with carpet removal and you mentioned small tweaks defining how the car handles, was this specifically just component freshness and alignment or is there anything else I should look at? My rack/ suspension appears fine and it’s very recently had alignment reset (last week) - so I a more getting a feel for it again now and wondering if there is anything else to look at. I agree that even compromised it felt fine, I guess due to the intrinsic abilities of the set up/ weight placement/tyre grip etc, but the alignment has certainly made a noticeable difference too.

Like you, and I suspect a few others, I am keen to get the car fit as possible and tweak around the edges/ keep it that way, happy to do what I can on it too. There will doubtlessly be many other avid readers that just don’t post. Keep it up and thank you for all so far!
LOL, yeah it was tongue in cheek as I know people read things more than post, me included :)
I must admit I am quite happy to get rid of the mesh inserts, so am considering options for how to finish it off. The Gen2 got rid of them, which makes sense given their tendency to rust!
With regard to the chassis, as you say my main focus was working through getting everything absolutely spot on, the car had done 60K miles and it felt tight but not perfect and never felt fully planted. You never really know how people have replaced things, even the dealers. By replacing basically everything for new and properly following the right processes, I knew I would be starting from a datum, rather than second guessing stuff. The only "change" on the chassis was the the dampers/springs which I used benchmarks from high end suspension manufacturers and then played around with until I was happy they were working to my preference and I believe are an improvement over the stock units, while also allowing me to run slightly lower which I prefer aesthetically and dynamically.
For me the R8 is super sensitive to alignment and I am now doing that myself using proper string alignment, there is too much risk/tolerance/potential error in the laser systems and I had some poor results, where as the string if done correctly will be a much more robust method. Plus I can easily make changes and see the effects myself.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i was just mentioning on your IG that i was floored by this addition...brilliant and awesome job honestly. 2 thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just came across this thread....flipping amazing what you have done; very impressive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cool project, I like it!

I was actually thinking about attempting fitting the gen 2 brace, never thought it would be that compatible. Thanks for sharing this with us, would you like to confirm that the rear fittings against the firewall also match up against the wall? Firewall needs tapping or any other modifications ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Excellent work dude!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Cool project, I like it!

I was actually thinking about attempting fitting the gen 2 brace, never thought it would be that compatible. Thanks for sharing this with us, would you like to confirm that the rear fittings against the firewall also match up against the wall? Firewall needs tapping or any other modifications ?
Thanks. Yes the firewall mounts up in the right position. You have to put fittings in both the firewall and the chassis rails to mount it as there is nothing there to do it in the stock shell

101 - 120 of 141 Posts