Audi R8 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Finally remounted and lined up my rear camera having had it pretty much pointing at the floor since I installed it. So much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
So my car is in for paint correction and ceramic coating
Follow @muffwash on Instagram to see the whole process...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not complaining that I studied finance and marketing as it has helped me make decisions that have allowed me to afford toys like a R8 (not bought one, yet....), but wish I had studied engineering instead and be able to do half of the amazing work you've done! Excellent resource of information!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Appreciate that thanks. Engineering was something I had always done and was the obvious path for me as a career and means I really enjoy my work. The fact it saves me £££ on cars and allows me to mess about with them is a obviously a massive bonus.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Not complaining that I studied finance and marketing as it has helped me make decisions that have allowed me to afford toys like a R8 (not bought one, yet....), but wish I had studied engineering instead and be able to do half of the amazing work you've done! Excellent resource of information!
I studied marketing as well but worked in the motor industry and quite often alongside engineers, so the best of both worlds. 😎

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
So I don’t know how to post a video but I have a functional single wiper. See below for end stroke pics.
The video (at the slowest speed) is on my insta page @renshaw79 for anyone who is interested.
I need to make a custom motor arm to ensure there is absolutely no chance of overtravel or dislocation, but it works great and gives a pretty much ideal sweep.
If anyone is interested I might get more than one arm made as they will be a bit involved to manufacture properly...

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Wow good effort. I there will be a few on here bending your ear as to how you did it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi

I want to have, but for left, Germany.

Has the engine been disposed of on the driver's side?

Tom

So I don’t know how to post a video but I have a functional single wiper. See below for end stroke pics.
The video (at the slowest speed) is on my insta page @renshaw79 for anyone who is interested.
I need to make a custom motor arm to ensure there is absolutely no chance of overtravel or dislocation, but it works great and gives a pretty much ideal sweep.
If anyone is interested I might get more than one arm made as they will be a bit involved to manufacture properly...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
At the moment the other motor is still there. I am going to try unplugging it, but I am pretty sure it has a feed through it for the signal so might leave it in without a spindle.

·
Registered
165 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Excellent job Jay well done again, you know I’ll buy one of the modified arms from you as soon as they’re ready.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@g60renshaw thank you for documenting your work on your R8! I am kinda similar in that I do not trust anyone to do work on my cars except for myself so it's refreshing to see someone on this forum tinkering with their R8. My current fun car is a 2006 Lotus Exige that I've done a supercharged and a2w intercooled Honda K24 swap on. I was one of the first few in the US to do the swap and it was a garage DIY. It's been interesting researching and lurking the R8Talk forums in the past few months and seeing how different it is here; in the Lotus world (or maybe just the LotusTalk forum world) you have a lot more people willing to turn their own wrench. I'm currently in the process of selling my Exige to purchase an R8 V8 manual and have been putting together a list of maintenance items to baseline whatever car I end up with. Glad to see another member turning their own wrench! Subscribed and will likely be direct messaging you in the future for some pro tips!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Always happy to share what I have been up to and more than happy to answer questions as best I can. Sounds like you will have no problem with the R8, I actually find it easier to work on than previous cars. I did many an engine swap and conversion in the past and it’s nice being happy with the lump that’s in this one.... although I know a V10 fits... LOL
Thanks for the kind words, this forum is one of the good places to talk R8s

·
Registered
35 Posts
Always happy to share what I have been up to and more than happy to answer questions as best I can. Sounds like you will have no problem with the R8, I actually find it easier to work on than previous cars. I did many an engine swap and conversion in the past and it’s nice being happy with the lump that’s in this one.... although I know a V10 fits... LOL
Thanks for the kind words, this forum is one of the good places to talk R8s

Cheers, sir. Yeah, I've been watching some videos of engine removal on the R8 and it looks way easier than what needs to happen on the Exige. I'm looking forward to diving into one! How are you liking the BC Racing coilovers + Swift springs after a bunch of time with them?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
With the right springs (14kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear) and If you properly set the bump and droop travel to 2/3 1/3 they are an excellent! I find they cope with some pretty demanding stuff very well and are clearly a good design for heat dissipation as I rarely find they struggle.
I would say because of the adjustability they offer they are better than a lot of much more expensive “fixed” units but only if you know how to set them up.
I run coilovers covers on mine too which keeps them spotlessly clean and working perfect even after 10000+ miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
So some progress. The corner weighting established a diagonal imbalance was introduced by connecting the anti roll bars, so I now have some lovely adjustable spherical drop links which I will be able to get the anti roll bar aligned with zero tension and optimise the corner weighting. (Ignore the numbers on the scales, that is without my 6’4” frame in the car)
Plus they should take out a bit of slack from the rubber mounts too. Got the little rubber boots too as it’s a daily.
Hopefully get it setup this week

BTW, did you end up piecing together these sway bar end links yourself? (There are a few great suppliers that I typically mine for stuff like this.) Or was this purchased as a kit from somewhere?

181 - 200 of 244 Posts