Audi R8 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I built them up myself from a supplier of these kind of parts. Pretty straightforward to replicate the standard ones. Just be aware the rears have m10 and m12 bolt

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
For a reason I thought an exige would be easier to work on!

I haven’t done much on my R8, or had to thankfully, but I have done a few little tweaks/ small jobs on it and am getting a better understanding of the car as a result. It definitely drives so much better than when I bought it - despite being looked after by Audi for the previous 5+ years!

Thanks Jay for continuing to push boundaries and demonstrating that these are just cars, they can be worked on, they can be improved and enjoyed more as a result.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For a reason I thought an exige would be easier to work on!

I haven’t done much on my R8, or had to thankfully, but I have done a few little tweaks/ small jobs on it and am getting a better understanding of the car as a result. It definitely drives so much better than when I bought it - despite being looked after by Audi for the previous 5+ years!

Thanks Jay for continuing to push boundaries and demonstrating that these are just cars, they can be worked on, they can be improved and enjoyed more as a result.
Haha, the main thing that makes the Elises and Exiges difficult to work on are the front and rear clamshells. If you need to access the plumbing in the front or the engine in the back for anything other than oil changes and spark plug changes the clams do not come off easily. After a few times removing them, it's gotten better. Not a complicated job, but a pain, and then you have to store the giant clamshells somewhere. The R8, on the other hand, you can remove just a few pieces on the back end and have access to muck about with the engine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Had a day off work today so finally sorted my side mesh in the engine bay to fit around the X brace. Going to paint them satin black I think, but good thing is they are back in and the side panels are removable with them attached.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had a day off work today so finally sorted my side mesh in the engine bay to fit around the X brace. Going to paint them satin black I think, but good thing is they are back in and the side panels are removable with them attached.

That looks perfect Jay, far neater than mine🙄, looking forward to the single wiper write up & ordering the modified arm from you😝

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Looks like OE. Great job.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Cheers. Few more touches to do (including painting the mesh and header tank cover black) to hopefully finish it off

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I painted mine earlier this year but kept with silver.

Engine bay cover after painting.jpg

Reactions: R8V8B

·
Registered
165 Posts
All black for the side pieces is the only way to go🙂

Reactions: R8V8B

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are from a company call Vargalant. Yes it made a big difference. The V10 ones are different in size on some but not all.

Sent from my iPhone us
Cheers. Few more touches to do (including painting the mesh and header tank cover black) to hopefully finish it off

hi jay going back to your post on replacing the wishbone ball joints i am also going to go down that route as both my rear ones are shot.can you let me know the best way to remove the ball joint i have made a tool to remove and used a lot of force but cannot get it to budge and am afraid of stripping the threads.did you use any heat or just brute force. also i have tried sending messages to vargalant reguarding price and postage but no luck,how did you get yours.any help greatly appreciated many thanks jimmy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
You have to heat it up enough to free the thread lock off. As for contacting vargalant I had no problem through their normal emails.

Jay

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I also got no response from Vargalant after our conversation. Maybe the current world situation has affected their response ability?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Bit of routine maintenance this morning. Fitted a new fuel filter. A job I have been meaning to do for a little while so nice to have it freshened up.
Followed the Audi process of removing the side blade and the ECU bracket and it was very easy to change over. This car is so easy to work on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bit of routine maintenance this morning. Fitted a new fuel filter. A job I have been meaning to do for a little while so nice to have it freshened up.
Followed the Audi process of removing the side blade and the ECU bracket and it was very easy to change over. This car is so easy to work on

More like a gratuitous gloss shot

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
So Matt black grilles and header tank cover really tidy up the finished bay and highlight the inlet manifold and xbrace nicely

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow, I’ve just spent the last hour or so going through this thread.

Some amazing work.

car Looks stunning!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice, did you rattle can / spray paint it? Or something a bit more involved? Either way, it turned out very nicely indeed!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Wow, I’ve just spent the last hour or so going through this thread.

Some amazing work.

car Looks stunning!
Thanks. It’s been a lot of work over the last 18 months, but I finally feel like it’s where I wanted it to be.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts