Audi R8 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
300 posts! Thanks for the kind words gents.
The lift was a combination of things. I had the holes made and the floor reinforced and also the piping run under the floor done by the Groundworks guys who did my driveway. I then had the whole thing resin coated by a team of flowcrete contractors.
The lift itself was then supplied by strongman tools but it’s made by ATH. Strongman did the install and I then redid some of it to make it tidier and more to my liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been following this thread for a long time. I think you have the most valuable R8 that I've seen. I'm not saying it would sell for more money than a new v10plus, but the level of care and attention to detail really makes this the most special R8 I have seen on the forum.

I also have one question. I have a 2014 v8 with 45k miles in it and I do all factory suggested maintenance on time and at the audi dealer. I already replaced mag rides and ac compressor.

1) What maintenance issues would you expect a car like this to have over the next 5 years or 50,000 miles?

2) Is there anything you would suggest doing in terms of maintenance that isn't on the factory schedule?

I plan to keep putting 15k miles a year in the car and these are mainly highway miles. No track and no crazy driving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your lift setup is really nicely done. I'm confused on one thing though. It looks like you're lifting along the bottom of the sills, not on the 4 designated spots further inboard. What am I missing, and is it really OK to lift on the bottom of those panels?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
I have been following this thread for a long time. I think you have the most valuable R8 that I've seen. I'm not saying it would sell for more money than a new v10plus, but the level of care and attention to detail really makes this the most special R8 I have seen on the forum.

I also have one question. I have a 2014 v8 with 45k miles in it and I do all factory suggested maintenance on time and at the audi dealer. I already replaced mag rides and ac compressor.

1) What maintenance issues would you expect a car like this to have over the next 5 years or 50,000 miles?

2) Is there anything you would suggest doing in terms of maintenance that isn't on the factory schedule?

I plan to keep putting 15k miles a year in the car and these are mainly highway miles. No track and no crazy driving.
Appreciate the kind words thanks. There are obviously so many variables in what might be needed on your car, how its driven, what conditions, mechanical sympathy etc..but I would say in terms of things I have had to do by 75k miles, which had clearly been left by the previous owners to deteriorate I would say the following could be expected in the next 50K miles.

1. Carbon Clean. This makes a massive difference to performance and over 50K, you probably want to do twice at least if not 3 or even 4 times.
2. Magride. They will fail guaranteed. As soon as they start misting I would remove them and fit passive coilovers of your choice, but make sure they are probably setup and not just thrown on, it makes the difference between them being better than magride and a lot worse than magride.
3.Suspension Balljoints. - You are likely to need to replace these at least once. So I would get them sourced and ready for the moment you start getting knocks. I replaced the whole lot at the same time so I know exactly how much mileage they have all done and I will probably replace them all again in 50K even if they are not obviously knocking.
4. Coolant pipe under the car - if there is ever an opportunity to get the front bracket welded "closed" on the coolant pipe under the car do it before it becomes a leak and prevent the corrosion build up in there. This is starting to become a much more common problem that R8 owners seem to just live with rather than dealing with
5. Have a spare coolant reservoir ready, just buy an Audi Q7 4L one not an "R8" one :)
6.Get the geometry set properly and keep tyre pressures accurately matched. Makes a big difference to an R8 and prevents scary handling characteristics
7. If you replace the front brakes get after market rotors that have directional cooling, the factory rotors don't and they tend to overheat and warp on one side.
8. Probably the main one. If something doesnt look, feel or seem right. Dont wait, just get it sorted. These cars are very sensitive and something being wrong tends to have much bigger consequences on other aspects than a less sensitive car, so just keep on top of anything.

There are loads of things that might come up but generally the R8 is a very well designed and well built car IMHO and actually very easy to work on too.

Jay

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Your lift setup is really nicely done. I'm confused on one thing though. It looks like you're lifting along the bottom of the sills, not on the 4 designated spots further inboard. What am I missing, and is it really OK to lift on the bottom of those panels?
No its not on the panels! There are 4 rubber blocks on the correct lifting points. you cant see them in the photos

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
That looks like an intetesting challenge to fit. I shall follow this enthusiastically.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Pretty confident it will work.
Clearly will need to heavily modify the bumper and reroute the exhaust, but i am aiming for a more agressive OEM look and reckon this will provide it..

·
Registered
262 Posts
@g60renshaw I always wondered if an LMS diffuser could be made to fit a non-widebody stock car! It looks like it lines up nicely!

And actually looking at your picture I wonder if, should you cut away the uprights and side pillars it would slot nicely into the stock bumper? Eg these bits in red:

Either way, if you do manage to get this to fit without too much intrusive work this may catch on! Especially considering the other GTD LMS Diffuser is also the same fitment!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
@g60renshaw I always wondered if an LMS diffuser could be made to fit a non-widebody stock car! It looks like it lines up nicely!

And actually looking at your picture I wonder if, should you cut away the uprights and side pillars it would slot nicely into the stock bumper? Eg these bits in red:
View attachment 260015

Either way, if you do manage to get this to fit without too much intrusive work this may catch on! Especially considering the other GTD LMS Diffuser is also the same fitment!
View attachment 260016
Funny you should say that. Yes it fits in the stock (V8 only) cutout in the bumper, but you lose a lot of its function and especially the cooling if you did this so I will be going for the “full cutout” option.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Funny you should say that. Yes it fits in the stock (V8 only) cutout in the bumper, but you lose a lot of its function and especially the cooling if you did this so I will be going for the “full cutout” option.

Love your ongoing "Go big or go home" attitude Jay 😆

Long may that continue....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ha I knew my eyes didn't deceive me! Looks great flush with the stock bumper doesn't it! Shame it loses alot of its function like you say.

What's your plan for the exhaust? Are you going to get your current exhaust modified?
One simple option could be to buy the Pre-Ultra LMS Center Exit Exhaust. That's already designed with the exit pipes perfectly in position just above the diffuser:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Yes I am going to get custom pipes made to fit the stock silencer. It’s a daily so the LMS exhaust would be way to loud, but they will look exactly like the above pic and come out in the same position

·
Registered
262 Posts
Exhaust relocation next. Testing diameters with paint aerosol lids.

Haha holy **** you made that look so quick and easy. That's such a clean cut I'm well impressed! The outcome looks awesome! One-of-a-kind!

It's funny, I noticed the slight damage to your diffuser and thought 'ah thats a shame its in a visible location' but now its fitted that slight damage lines up with the exhaust which actually makes the damage look awesome in my eyes. I assume thats where that slight damage came from in the first place? Excessive exhaust heat scorching the carbon?

301 - 320 of 354 Posts