Audi R8 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Cheers. Yep I will be getting the exhaust made to sit exactly in the same place as the LMS race car so the scorch marks on the carbon are directly under the exhaust outlets. I could get that repaired and tidied up, but as you say it’s more authentic with them left there
Fingers crossed the exhaust will be done by the weekend/next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Potentially moving back to LMS Bilsteins as I have a way forward that will work at the lower ride height I run... watch this space.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
This is legit one of my favourite builds on here.
Appreciate that thanks. I try and put up as much as I can, but it’s hard to cover everything as you can imagine.
Current state of the things...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Next phase complete... exhaust is done. So happy with it, not only does it perfectly emulate the LMS exhaust but retains the stock silencer, perfect as a daily. The new pipes have unexpectedly added a nice deep growl at lower revs, but no drone or unwanted noise at speed.
Weld work by the fabricators is beautiful and the finish is superb. Next step is flushing and painting the bumper.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
First class job.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
While the rear bumper is being done I wanted to tie the front and rear together a bit more, so decided on a front tow loop to match the LMS rear one. Nothing I could find looked right, so I made up my own with parts. Think it looks subtle enough while still being functional and OEM.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Today’s trial fit of the bumper at the bodyshop. This stage is about getting the shape right with lots of glass and filler. A mould will then be taken of the finished shape in the new sections and then the glass and filler cut out. Then the mould will be use to glass in a new skin which will require little to no filler to finish.
Hopefully have it in paint early next week

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
The carbon diffuser is already burnt from the race car which I actually like the look of and the bumper is still going to be cut away further for the tailpipes and should be fine

·
Registered
329 Posts
Finally managed to get chance to look over the new purchase. One of the Dampers is leaking as I expected but they won’t be on for long...
Otherwise looking very clean and solid.

It looks like your scissor lift is installed below ground... did you have to dig that out?
scratch that I read the thread further.

Reactions: g60renshaw

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Having noticed a rattle on start up since the exhaust was converted to single outlet I thought it was a heat shield. However having had a dig around it seemed to be within the silencer rather than the surrounding area.
So given that the bumper was already off it made sense to sort this now. Removing the exhaust is not too bad a job so out it came and sure enough the rattle is within the silencer
I am 99% sure it’s a loose baffle plate and is resolvable with some simple welds to resecure it. Interestingly if you look at later V8 exhausts vs the earlier ones they have an additional weld in exactly the position of the baffle. (See two pics)
Should be sorted tomorrow and back on over the weekend.

321 - 340 of 354 Posts