Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone leased their R8 in the US? I was planning on purchasing mine (arriving next month) but given the upcoming v10 release and the increased availability of the v8 next year and beyond, I may consider a lease. The advantages of a lease (as I see it and provided that milage is not a concern) are (1) your depreciation is locked in but you still have the opportunity for upside IF the car is still worth more than the residual at the end of the lease term, (2) IF you ever get into an accident you do not bear the burden of the huge depreciation that is associated with an accident car (especially if it is significant - yes this has happened to me); and (3) of course your payments are less. The third advantage is not really a big factor but I will say that taking money out of the market right now is not an option!

Any leasing or purchasing rates/terms/experience would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure. Leasing is simply a financing option available on any audi through audi financial services. The dealer has nothing to do this audi financing options, they are just processors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I considered leasing but couldn't because I did the european delivery thing. I believe that Putnam Leasing has a lease plan for the car... or Audi Financial Services.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sure. Leasing is simply a financing option available on any audi through audi financial services. The dealer has nothing to do this audi financing options, they are just processors.
I assumed it was up to the dealer to offer the lease.

·
Registered
41 Posts
few things to consider:

- where u are depends how much u are going to pay in tax.

- do u have a business to write it off if u lease it.

- how long are u going to keep the car.

it's either pay it all up front or at the end for the lost. u'll get hit regardless. audi lease is terrible not to mention dealer will jack u big time in the terms. buying it just make it easier if u can write the check.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My previous car (and I intend to buy my V10 the same way) I bought putting down a deposit, then the monthly payments with a baloon at the end. I find this is the best way to purchase a car as you are saving yourself the huge initial purchase cost(this money does better invested, making u money instead of depreciating). When my current car is up I just pay the baloon and use the car as my deposit for the next 1. In the 3 years I have had the car, using the 50k I did not have to put down I have made several times this with investments. Hope that helps, I find it a win win :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
My previous car (and I intend to buy my V10 the same way) I bought putting down a deposit, then the monthly payments with a baloon at the end. I find this is the best way to purchase a car as you are saving yourself the huge initial purchase cost(this money does better invested, making u money instead of depreciating). When my current car is up I just pay the baloon and use the car as my deposit for the next 1. In the 3 years I have had the car, using the 50k I did not have to put down I have made several times this with investments. Hope that helps, I find it a win win :)
They aren't charging you interest on the money you owe before your balloon payment at the end

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear Audi will buy back the car for what you paid for it - within the first year. is this true? Let me rephrase this - they have the first right of refusal to buy back the car for the first year @ the price you paid for it - or else you can sell it on the open market (hopefully for a premium) - Does anyone know this is fact - or does it very dealer to dealer?

I say if you want to hold on to this car for a year - 2 years - it would be a good deal to buy.

A - you get a tax write off on the taxes/interest you pay.

B - from the info i know 'supercars' - do not depreciate like normal cars.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hear Audi will buy back the car for what you paid for it - within the first year. is this true? Let me rephrase this - they have the first right of refusal to buy back the car for the first year @ the price you paid for it - or else you can sell it on the open market (hopefully for a premium) - Does anyone know this is fact - or does it very dealer to dealer?

I say if you want to hold on to this car for a year - 2 years - it would be a good deal to buy.

A - you get a tax write off on the taxes/interest you pay.

B - from the info i know 'supercars' - do not depreciate like normal cars.
I have heard nothing of the sort and there is no way in hell the dealer will buy it back for what you paid after one year unless it has practically never been driven.

As for writing off interest, I don't know where people get it from that they think writing off interest is better than not paying interest. Why would you want to pay $X dollars in interest only to save $X*.6? You are better off paying no interest unless you are positive you can earn a higher percentage on other investments, which isn't going to be easy considering average car loan rates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard nothing of the sort and there is no way in hell the dealer will buy it back for what you paid after one year unless it has practically never been driven.

As for writing off interest, I don't know where people get it from that they think writing off interest is better than not paying interest. Why would you want to pay $X dollars in interest only to save $X*.6? You are better off paying no interest unless you are positive you can earn a higher percentage on other investments, which isn't going to be easy considering average car loan rates.

I don't have enough liquid cash to pay for it in cash. :(

I am not positive about them buying it back for what i paid for it - but this is what i was told. Do you have any idea how much deprecation would be after a year with say 8 k miles in the open market?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't have enough liquid cash to pay for it in cash. :(

I am not positive about them buying it back for what i paid for it - but this is what i was told. Do you have any idea how much deprecation would be after a year with say 8 k miles in the open market?
No way to know for certain. All depends on the demand for the car at that time. Don't expect appreciation though. As more and more get delivered, there will be more and more on the market for resale.

Don't buy this for anything other than what it is. An expensive toy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the only buy-back is if it's a lemon. And these R8's have been pretty reliable it seems.

Plus, I heard they are making 5,000 R8's, in every flavor, V8, V10, convertible, etc, for the whole world, for the next 5 years or so. I'm obviously just an end user, but I heard that from a reputable dealer. Which means the car will still be rare for a while, at least a year or so. (I think).

·
Registered
90 Posts

It is very easy, I have been doing exactly that for years. There is no sense having a large lump of cash tied up in a depreciating asset imo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
not to hijack the thread...but how do I find out which Audi dealer is authorized to sell the R8...i remember there was a thread about this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can never guarantee an investment sadly, however it is worth having that money working for you rather than depreciating on your drive. Just a personal preference.
But the 'current market' is working fine for me to be honest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are many alternative financing options aside from audi finance. While searching the net I found this leasing company. They don't list the R8 but seem to be very competitive on an AUDI Lease in general. I would appreciate any input from current owners on this financing.........thanks so much

1 - 20 of 20 Posts