Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R8
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone facelift a gen 1 steering wheel to the push to start one? I saw on youtube a couple from other countries has. Anyone here do it yet?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm doing this soon. I have a TAW customs carbon gen2 steering wheel which I'm going to retrofit to my gen1.

I'm no electrician so I'll be getting a local expert called 'Audi Retrofits' to do it for me.

My understanding is that the start/stop button can be programmed but the manual key needs to be obviously be inserted and turned so the start/stop is a bit pointless.

I plan to get the other buttons programmed with key functions; eg 1) drive select will toggle sport mode, 2) exhaust button will toggle the valves on my exhaust, and 3) chequered flag button will toggle my air cup front lift.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm doing this soon. I have a TAW customs carbon gen2 steering wheel which I'm going to retrofit to my gen1.

I'm no electrician so I'll be getting a local expert called 'Audi Retrofits' to do it for me.

My understanding is that the start/stop button can be programmed but the manual key needs to be obviously be inserted and turned so the start/stop is a bit pointless.

I plan to get the other buttons programmed with key functions; eg 1) drive select will toggle sport mode, 2) exhaust button will toggle the valves on my exhaust, and 3) chequered flag button will toggle my air cup front lift.

Checking in to see how this has progressed?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Checking in to see how this has progressed?
Hi mate, no progress yet bud I had to divert my attention to other parts for my full LMS conversion. The place I found could only offer retrofit with the multifunction buttons working - so no satellite buttons.

However I did email Alex at Europrice just a few days ago as I know he's working on a pre-packaged plug and play module. He confirmed:

The R8 2nd generation wheel package is just being finalized for the R8 1st generation models.

The satellite controls would function and with a CETE exhaust valve controller you could also have the exhaust button immediately open/close the valves.

I'll let you know when I get an update. If Alex nails this plug and play module I suspect this will be a very popular mod among Gen1 owners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It can be done. A friend of mine installed a Gen 2 steering wheel into his B7 RS4 with full functionality. 🤤 There's a forum member here who also has it done although his member name escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It can be done. A friend of mine installed a Gen 2 steering wheel into his B7 RS4 with full functionality. 🤤 There's a forum member here who also has it done although his member name escapes me at the moment.
Yeah it defo can be done, but only if you find an appropriate local workshop or you know electronics well enough. Sadly for people like me I have neither. So a pre-packaged full retrofit module that is plug and play will be a godsend

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah it defo can be done, but only if you find an appropriate local workshop or you know electronics well enough. Sadly for people like me I have neither. So a pre-packaged full retrofit module that is plug and play will be a godsend
I’ll work on it if you can work on getting me some bucket seats (wingbacks) to the US! 😂

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
153 Posts
Any progress on getting the Gen 2 buttons to work with an exhaust valve controller or start/stop? I can only justify the Gen 2 steering wheel upgrade cost if those additional buttons can be put to use.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you have the part number(s) for the US spec start/stop button set? (All four buttons, instead of the Eur spec 3 buttons)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have reacently found a guy on Instagram who makes modules for the Gen 2 steering wheel - he claims he can program all buttons. He posted the video showing the * button rising the rear wing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts